General Fiction posted December 2, 2022 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a story

A chapter in the book Stories from Morrison

Three Rodent Cousins

by Bill Schott

 
 
 
Once upon a time there were three rodent cousins. The smallest rodent was a gerbil known as Ruffian. The second, larger rodent was a rat known as Ruff-n-ready. The third was a capybara known as Too-dey-yoo-dye.

The three cousins had managed to eat all the food available to rodents and needed to move to the next pasture across the river.

They were aware that the bridge that spanned the river which led to the other side was guarded by a large bull snake.

The gerbil, Ruffian, volunteered to attempt the crossing first.
 
"I'll go first," he said.
 
"Sure," said Ruff-n-ready.
 
"Too-dey-yoo-dye!" yelled Too-dey-yoo-dye.
 
So, the gerbil headed off to the bridge.

Halfway across the bridge, the bull snake slithered up onto the walkway.

"Y'know what time it is, Joybal?"

Ruffian looked up at the sun and back to the snake.

"Just past noon, Mr. Snake."

"Ooooh! Time to eat you then."

"Wait, sir. I am but a wee morsel, whereas my cousin is ten times as big as me. You might be better off waiting for him."

The snake thought for a second and then asked, "What time did you say it was?"

As Ruffian looked again at the sun, the snake lunged forward and swallowed him.

Later, Ruff-n-ready came creeping across the bridge.

Halfway across, the bull snake slithered up onto the walkway.

"Well, well. Yous must be the ten-times-bigger cousin of the late joybal what I ate?"

Ruff-n-ready frowned. "You ate my cousin --"

Before Ruff-n-ready could finish processing the death of his cousin, Snake uncoiled and swallowed the bigger, but not too big rat.
 
More time went by before Too-dey-yoo-dye looked at the sun and determined it was five in the afternoon. She wondered what was on the other side of the river.

The capybara went to the bridge and began crossing.

Halfway across, the bull snake slithered up onto the walkway.
 
"Well, well, well, well, well. You are a real prize there rodent. What do they call you?"
 
Too-dey-yoo-dye noticed the snake had two lumps which made it look funny.
 
"Too-dey-yoo-dye!"
 
"Wait! Is that your name or --"
 
Before Snake could complete his question, the big cousin stepped forward and stomped on the serpent's body.
 
"Too-dey-yoo-dye! Too-dey-yoo-dye! Too-dey-yoo-dye!" she yelled as she trampled the bull snake into toe jam. 
 
As the sun lowered into the horizon, the surviving cousin found food and shelter in the new pasture.  She had forgotten she had cousins.
 
 
 




 
 
 



Recognized


Images from Google

Based on The Three Billy Goats Gruff.

In the process of writing this story I began with a shrew, a racoon, and the capybara. Unfortunately, I discovered that the shrew is not a rodent, but an insectivore. The racoon is not a rodent, but closer to a bear. So, I have these characters.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.