War and History Fiction posted November 25, 2022 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
With no reinforcements Iona must face the Bloody Bear alone.

A chapter in the book Rise from the Fall

A Bear, a Wolf, and a Blue Flame

by Rinshikai


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.
The author has placed a warning on this post for language.



Background
Colton Arverni is an auxiliary soldier in service to the Empire. When an aspiring new commander jeopardizes the northern frontier, Colton's life is changed forever.

Iona

Colton, where are you? You should have been back by now. Shields and spears hold our enemies back, but even the dead begin to turn on us. Every fallen foe becomes a step for the living, and we inch closer to being overwhelmed. The horn sounded. Where are they? I look back to the wall, and the gate is closed. Dread in my soul; it's clear no one is coming.

I step out from the protection of Hahaku's men. If this is the end, I'm not going to hide. I bang my sword on my shield, drawing the gaze of friend and foe alike. A scream escapes my throat, and a chant rings through the streets.

But our enemy is undeterred. Several of them leap over our defenses. Screaming like madmen, they swing wildly, cleaving our men to pieces, laughing as they do it.

Clad in red fur, a man grins wickedly at me. From his beastly appearance, this must be the Bloody Bear. Blood dripping from him like a newborn, he creeps toward me as his comrades fight with Locke and Hahaku. With unnatural speed, he charges, and I barely have time to plant my feet before I'm sent flying.

The air is ripped from my lungs, but I have no time to catch my breath. An axe comes down, ready to cleave me in two. But I evade the blow as it digs deep into the wagon I landed on mere moments ago. I go on the offensive, but he grabs my arm and headbutts me, knocking my helmet off. With his one remaining axe, we trade blows, every strike sending a shock wave through my arms.

"Come on," he mocks, "This can't be all you've got! Give me more!" His barrage continues, each blow turning my shield into splinters and wounding my arm. I bandage myself, evading an overhead strike that cracks the cobblestones.

The larger battle fades into the mist. With my shield gone, all I have is my sword. Trying to keep out of range is pointless; he has the reach, so I have to be quicker. Closing the distance, I go for every opening I can find. Under the arms, behind the knees, and the hands, I get a few shallow cuts, but he laughs it off like it's nothing.

"Come on!" he kicks me away. On my hands and knees, I fight to stand. Out of the corner of my eye, the Bloody Bear walks toward me, disappointment oozing from his face. Like an executioner, he raises his axe above his head. "Give me the Priestess, and I'll ease your passing."

A spear pierces the Bear's shoulder, and a man rushes toward me, pulling me to my feet. Hahaku looks me over, checking for injuries. "Are you alright?" He asks.

"Yeah."

Laughter echos in our ears, and our foe stands, breaking the spear shaft from his shoulder. "I thought this would be boring." Throwing the shaft at us, he grabs his axe, "But now you've made it interesting!" He rushes us, going for Hahaku's blind spot. Countering the blow with his shield Hahaku goes straight for the throat, but the Bear throws him to the ground.

Evading a swing for my head, he grabs me by the throat. My sword slipping from my grasp, I'm off the ground, flailing and kicking franticly, trying to free myself. Grabbing his pinkies, I bend them to the point of breaking. Landing with a thud, I crawl away.

I reach for my throat, coughing as I gasp for air. Finding my sword, the Bear kicks it away. Desperate, I grab the first thing I can. With Hahaku's broken spear, I ready myself for another round.

But, something is off; the Bear paws at his body, the devilish grin now a panicked mess. "No, no, no, where is it!?" He pulls a vial from his belt, but, Hahaku, with a dagger and stick in hand, shatters it before he can drink it.

Enraged, the Bear goes mad, clawing at us with his bare hands. His attacks are relentless, but his injuries are starting to hinder him. What was in that vial?

Going for his eye, he snaps the end of my broken spear. Like wolves, we nip at him, trying to wear him down. In this dance of death, I lodge my weapon into his leg, and he falls to his knees. Hahaku goes for the kill, but our enemy blocks his attack. Ripping the spear tip from his body, he lodges it deep into Hakaku's belly.

"Where's the Priestess?"

"Guess..." Hahaku spits falling on his side.

"No!" Consumed with anger, I leap onto the Bear's back, stabbing him in the neck. He throws me off but starts gargling blood pouring from his wound. He tries to stop it, then a smile creeps across his face, and he offers his neck as a prize. Tears nearly robbing me of my sight, I slice his throat. The cut is so deep I take his head clean off.

The blade falls from my hand, dyed tip to hilt in blood. I rush to Hahakus's side. "Hahaku!" My heart is racing. I flip him over, rewarded with a groan. Ripping my cloak, I try to stop the bleeding. In the fog, the sounds of battle continue their horrible melody. "Help!" I yell, "Someone! Help!"

Footsteps ring through the streets and a familiar pair come into view. "Father!" Tristan yells, running to us to help. "Father, hold still." He's about to pull the weapon out, but Hahaku stops him.

"Vi..." Hahaku says.

"What?" I bring my ear to his lips.

"Vial..."

Drawn to the Bear, I spot the broken vial on the ground. In its glass cradle, a few drops are nuzzled in its embrace. Offering it to Hahaku, he swallows the concoction. Moments later, the pain plaguing he's mind begins to fade.

Out of curiosity, Tristan sniffs the glass, "What is this? Gods, that's strong." He wipes his nose, trying to get rid of the smell.

"White willow. It numbs the pain." Hahaku lies down, staring up at his son. "Where's Colton?" he asks, only getting a look of guilt. "Tristan...Where..."

"He was shot. By Alex."

"What. Why!" I lose all control, and worry turns my gut into lead. Forcing Tristan to look at me, those eyes refuse to meet mine. Alex hated Colton, but would he jeopardize the battle for it?

"I don't know. After Colton fell from the roof, we found him barely alive. Before we could help him, we were ambushed, and they dragged him off."

My mind clouds, and I fall to my knees, tears turning this murky city into a blurry mess. They took him, my Colton. All thanks to that bastard. Standing, I take the Bloody Bear's head from the ground. Even now, that sick smile still lingers on his face, mocking us. Unable to take it, I throw him across the battlefield.

I sit next to Hahaku; we'll be overwhelmed soon. A hand pulls from my thoughts. Hahaku is smiling at me. Even through the pain, he manages to lighten the mood. I hug him. "I'm so sorry."

"You...did the best...you could. At least we get to see the stars one last time."

Stars? How can there be stars? I'm sure the sun has yet to set.

"Look." Hahaku points to the sky. Sure enough, little blue lights dance in the sky. Then a thunderous sound shakes the earth, and horns bellow in the distance. What's going on? Are more of them coming?

With all my strength, I bring myself to stand. Taking my sword in hand, I walk towards the battle. "Tristan, get your father to the market wall." Turning to Becka, "Watch over them ok."

She notches an arrow. "No, I'm going with you!" she says.

"Becka."

"I'll watch your back!" The resolve in her eyes reminds me of myself back then, that will to keep living. Her stubbornness is admirable, but she's too impulsive.

"Fine, but don't engage the enemy unless it's vital! Are we clear?" I say.

"Yes, ma'am."

We edge closer to the wagon wall, and a few enemies break from the battle. My opponent uses wide, heavy swings that make it easy to spot his attacks. But if he gets a hit, I'm done.

Becka gets one shot off before her bow is broken, forcing her to draw her daggers. While she can out-maneuver her opponent, her strikes do little more than glance off his chainmail, creating sparks that dance through like fireflies.

Bodies litter the ground, and I lose my footing, barely dodging the flurry of blows, looking to claim my life. A metal fist kisses my enemy's face, severing his jaw. Locke pulls me to my feet, concern turning to anger. "What are you doing here, Iona?" He says. "We can't risk losing you." He points to the inner walls. "Where are our reinforcements?"

"They're not coming."

"What!"

"They've abandoned us, Locke."

"Dammit! Where's Hahaku?"

"Injured. The Bear got him in the gut. But I managed to kill him. The Bloody Bear is dead!"

"Men, the Bloody Bear is dead!" Locke yells. "The Bloody Bear is dead!" Men on their last leg stand, and our lines fortify. With their leader dead, the enemy goes fur feral, now hell-bent on avenging him. Pitchers of oil soak the wagons, and our defenses are set aflame.

"Fall back! Fall back to the gate," I yell, searching for Becka in the chaos. I spot her arm under her opponent and rush to her side. Freeing her from the body threatening to crush her, we join the survivors running to the gate.

Guarding the few wounded, Tristan joins us while Triana readies her troops with what few projectiles they have left on the roofs. Of the hundreds that had come to fight for me, barely fifty of us are still standing.

Warriors flood through our walls, ready to swallow us all. I join the others, taking a shield from the fallen, and all eyes turn to me. We're dead, and we all know it.

"It's been an honor," I say as we lock shields, ready for the onslaught. I should be scared shitless, but my lips curl into a smile. "Don't make it easy for them. They got to earn it." Laughs fill my ears, but regret lingers in my heart. Luna, Enid, I'm sorry. I can't keep my promise.

A wave of bodies thunder towards us, screaming like wild men. Our lines are about to meet, and arrows rain down from the wall. The doors blow open behind us, and the tenth legion marches out, meeting the enemy. "Get the survivors inside now!" The Commander barks dragging me back. "Get inside. Now!"

Soldiers line the narrow hall, pulling us through like boats on a rope. Once free of the hall, our people welcome us with open arms tending to the wounded. It doesn't add up; they abandoned us. I try to make sense of what happened, but my thoughts are interrupted by Triana beckoning me to join her.

On the battlements, the Silver Scales pelt the enemy. Who, in turn, fire back as they retreat to the city's main gate. But beyond the trenches, a sea of orange and blue fires dance. The blue flames slowly swallow the orange.

Then it hits me, the blue flame. "Hunter," I mutter under my breath. I rush back to the survivors, "It's Hunter. Reinforcements have arrived." Though weary from battle, hope starts taking root once again.

I find Yanna tending to Hahaku's wound, but she shakes her head at Tristan. "He will be joining your mother soon," she says, "She is sorry, but he is too far gone. All we can do is ease his passing."

Kneeling next to Hahaku, I want to say something, anything. But nothing comes out. He caresses my cheek, rubbing away my tears. "Don't be sad," he turns to his son, "Pup, keep your promise to me." Tristan nods before walking away with Becka in tow.

"I've already lost Colton. I can't lose you."

He pulls out his dagger and offers it to me. "Please," he guides my hand to his throat. I hesitate, my hands trembling. Closing my eyes, I plunge the blade into his throat. With one final breath, he's gone, and I collapse on top of him, wailing.




Character List
Iona: Main POV character
Hahaku: Mercenary captain and friends of Iona
Locke: Another mercenary captain
Triana: Mercenary and friend of Iona
Tristan: Son of Hahaku
Becka: Young warrior of northerner roots fighting for Iona
The Commander: Leader of what remains of the Tenth Legion
The Bloody Bear: Leader of the invading force

I ask reviewers to provide a minimum of one thing they liked and disliked. If you see errors or something that should be fixed, please don't hesitate to point them out. I can't improve otherwise.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Lilibug6 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.