General Non-Fiction posted November 24, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Biographical Non-fiction...a writer's journey

Closet Writer's Baptism

by Zue65


The truth is, I am a closet writer. I mean literally, because I keep all my written work hidden. But one thing is sure, I will never waver to nurture this urge to write.

At a young age, I have discovered early the fruits of angled words. My pen would collect them to create images I never imagine would be possible. But as I went through significant physical and emotional changes in my life, l learned to lock them in a box, purposely done for these notes to disappear to oblivion.

The little written slips as I called them, (cover the whole gamut of emotions from pain, hope, doubt, triumph, love, happiness and loss) were written like crude ink-forms only for my own pleasure and private reading. Too often, the urge was just a whimsical drive to desecrate old truths with silly mental interpretations that never got to be written most of the time. I never thought they were worth reading anyway. There was really no need to bother my pen, or so, I thought. I was helplessly drowning then with self-doubt because English is not my native tongue. I was a nobody who preferred to write in a foreign tongue.

Then by a stroke of faith, I discovered LinkedIn and hesitantly joined the "Poets" group. I was damned too scared to share my sample poetry. I was writing only for myself, for quite a long time and there was really no pressure to improve my craft. I was not even conscious of grammatical issues and rhythmical patterns. I just write for the sheer pleasure of writing. I merely gave in to the flash of inspiration unrestricted, unobstructed and unhampered by rules in an attempt to catch the moment while it last. The practice had allowed me to weave ideas into words and make them fall in line in poetry unboxed.

It must be my stubborn lilliputian logic that I have become stone deaf, retreating inwardly in my comfort zone. I write for my own self-gratification. I write not to be judged by critics. This has been my credo for so long.

Meeting however three angels from the "Poets Group" at LinkedIn, have radically changed my approach to writing. Shari Jo, Kalika and Toni motivated and inspired me to get out of my cocoon and test a new ride. They encouraged me to explore new inroads beyond my comfortable nest and upgrade from low to high-octane writing. I know, I am still far from being good, but I am gradually learning. Another dear friend, Murray, helped polish my writing skills by instilling relentlessly the value of precision and brevity in poetry writing. I am indebted to him for my two original poems that was accepted to be published under the heading "October Poetry" which appeared on page 5 in Tuck Magazine last October 14,2013.

No doubt, LinkedIn was my poetic birthing ground but as I bumped into another pathway, the FanStory.com, my first crude walk at LinkedIn became crucial to my poetic growth as a FanStorian. My baptism into the world of poetry via online writing platforms contributed a lot to my poetic journey.

I haven't really changed much in my views in writing. I still write for my own private pleasure. I still write for the sole purpose of reading and seeing words coming to life whether crude or polished, whether it be free or unfree verses. The form is always immaterial to me, but the message is everything as to why poetry or prose is written. I still believe ideas and words are better captured when they are raw, unblocked and not dictated by rules. Finally, I could say my wings got stronger in time, backed up by a firm conviction that at last, I can fly against the wind.

Separate motherhood however was a tough wind to confront and can make a lot of difference in writing. Many times, mundane things and menial jobs that could eventually help save cash, were constant tradeoffs for writing. My pen would willingly take a backseat to ensure that there was food on the table and funds were always available to support my kids' college education. Hence, when flashes of inspiration jump in mid-air while cleaning the dishes and doing the laundry, bright ideas just join the suds down the drain, finding their way back only when I am done. Believe me when a flash of inspiration comes back, it is no longer the same as the first time it hits me.

Perhaps my muse will sing a different tune this time. I am officially retired from teaching but is currently employed as a part time skilled professional. I have two children armed with college degree and with stable jobs. I am a fulfilled Mom, and I can only look with pride at the fruits of my labor.

Today, I am turning another phase in my life, re-exploring the thrills of my first ever Blog, re-tracing my baby walk at LinkedIn, rediscovering my roots at Fan Story, renewing my ties with friends and enjoying the gifts of God above all. I am truly alive. What more can I ask for?




The lady pondering by the door is again, my daughter, Pia. The picture was taken while she was on a vacation tour in Europe.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Zue65 All rights reserved.
Zue65 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.