Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 24, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A final meeting, a final exchange.

The Exchange

by Tara Maxfield

"Tell me if you've heard this one, Two women walk into a bar…" Jane says after opening the double doors and seeing no one in the Lake Thomas Bar and Grill, she holsters her sidearm.

"You're already messing it up. It's two women and a big bag of money," Essie replies from the dark.

Jane cautiously walks further into the room, "I wasn't sure you'd be here yet."

"Got here this morning," Essie says, emerging from the darkness of a corner booth in the back. 

"Nice place," Jane says as she reaches the bar and sits on a bar stool. Her flaxen hair is cropped at the jawline and her aviator sunglasses are perched on top of her head. She doesn't look fifty, but she no longer can pass for forty. Worry and stress have taken their toll on her once bright and beautiful blue eyes, now faded to gray. 

Essie enters behind the bar from the other end and walks down the length until she stands in front of Jane. She's a beautiful Latina woman in her mid-twenties. She reaches down behind the bar and starts placing stacks of bound 100 dollar bills on top of the bar in front of Jane. Jane looks nervously side to side for good reason. This money isn't theirs and who it belongs to is going to miss it very soon. 

"You took care of Jason, right? Essie asks. 

"Yeah, he'll take the fall. I planted most of the money you gave me in his apartment in the city." Jane watches Essie continue to stack the money on the table. 

"Nice touch. Dear old Dad will love that. You know it's going to be a long and painful next few days for Jason," Essie comments.

"Too bad, he shouldn't have been a dirtbag. He cost me my career, my reputation, broke my heart, and made a fool of me," Jane says watching the last stack of money being placed on the bar. "Where's the rest?"

"Calm down. This is just your starter fund. Here, take this," Essie says, handing her a phone. "The rest is digital. Apparently, Jason convinced Dad to invest in digital currency so the cash was less than anticipated. Dad stupidly wrote down every detail on how to access the digital wallet and put it in the walk-in safe. 

So, a few keystrokes and I emptied the account for him. I bounced it through so many servers, there's no hope he'll ever trace it down before his other, new problems distract him from trying. I hope you don't mind that I went and made you a wallet on your behalf. You can see the balance after you make your 15 digit security key. Just enter it on the screen but don't ever forget it. There's no password reset for this.  And,  'Paola Sanchez,' here's your new ID, passport and other documents."

"You really did it. You really did what you said you would. Thank you." Jane stares at the screen and all the zeroes it contained after a leading 5. She takes some documents from the inside of her jacket and pushes them across the bar to Essie.

"The least I can do. I really am sorry for what my family and Jason did to you. You were faithful. You were true." Essie says and they hug across the bar. "Now, get on out of here. Go and disappear. I trust you made arrangements like we discussed?"

"Yes, I've got to spend several days secluded in the captain's cabin, but I've got it all planned so that no one else will see me leave the bay area or have a clue where I'm going. I left a note and my car at the airport two days ago."

"Good. You always were thorough and on point," Essie says.

Jane was feeling overwhelmed, "What about you?"

"Oh, there's not really much hope for me," Essie sighs. "I have to stay and see things through. If things go as planned, my father will be raided by the FBI in a few days. I have to go back and play my part as Daddy's little girl until then. Special investigator Lewis says that after I testify, I'll be granted immunity and go into witness protection. So, I'll testify, but then I have some plans of my own. Not really sure if Jason will live long enough to be taken into custody though. He might be my Father's last victim."

"You could come to me, Essie."

"No, I can't. You've got a clean exit. Let's keep it that way. I've got to get back before I'm missed."

"Thank you,  Essie." Jane says and starts putting the money in a duffle bag she'd brought with her. "I really have to apologize to you. I underestimated you and your integrity. I just had written you off as a spoiled little girl who didn't care where Daddy's money came from as long as she got to spend it. I'm sorry for that. You are so much more."

"Oh, I have my sins for sure. Just hoping for some atonement in all of this," Essie says and makes a shoo-ing motion to Jane. "Time to go now."

Jane stands and looks around the room. It was closed for the season, but looked like it could be a fun place. "How did you find this place?"

"When I was a kid, we used to take vacations here. It was probably the only normal family life I've ever had."

"Good luck, Essie."

"Good luck, Jane." 

Jane was temporarily blinded by the sun when she emerged from the bar. She strapped the bag to the back of her motorcycle and rode down the mountain roads away from Jane Brighton and towards Paola Sanchez. 




 



Two women sit at a deserted bar writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story using the premise two woman sit at an otherwise deserted bar. They share a secret. They strike up a friendship.


This is the result of me trying my hand on a topic that was challenging. I hope you like it.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tara Maxfield All rights reserved.
Tara Maxfield has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.