General Fiction posted November 22, 2022 Chapters:  ...23 24 -25- 26... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Teenage Ohmie spy.

A chapter in the book The Best Time of Ohmie's Life

Best Time of Ohmie's Life pt 25

by Wayne Fowler


In the last chapter Ohmie’s father chanced a meeting with a trusted fellow spy. Ohmie’s father is forgiven, but assigned to catch Dortch, without Company help.

First order of business was the bank of London where the Company had money in Dad’s account.

Dad caught me up with his activities once we reconnected.

He would take out nearly all of the currency and what he didn’t need, he would try to replenish what he’d already tapped. His next task was a gunsmith he knew in Czech Republic. For not too much, he could get a composite, single use gun that fired a nine-millimeter bullet. It was basically plastic and could pass through metal detectors undiscovered. The biggest problem with it, Dad said, was that you couldn’t trust the accuracy. First of all, it only had a two-and-a-half-inch barrel – extremely inaccurate over mere feet. Secondly, even with perfect conditions, the composite barrel may not have been true from manufacture. It was made for very close quarters. The bullet was painted pink and glued to a neck chain and was easily pried loose. Airport security people usually smirked at it.

At least flying as himself didn’t risk the Company nabbing him, just Dortch to be concerned about. Dale said nothing about controls on him. Dortch should be expected to continue as before: possible connections with EU authorities, and a Croatian army at his disposal.

Dad’s third order of business was me. And Mom, of course. He flew to Zurich using a fake passport. His real name wouldn’t show up on the manifest; and if anyone flagged his photo with facial recognition, he’d be in his rental car and gone before anyone was the wiser. When Dad told me the details, I wondered, if trading places, I would have kept the same order. Anyway, I guess I’d taxed myself pretty hard. Mom and Mme Benoir were worried. That’s when Dad got here and told me his story while I lay there more than half dead.

Mom put Dad’s rental car to good use. She drove Mme Benoir on some much-appreciated errands, and then did some much-needed shopping. I had to have more suitable clothes – night clothes and warmer daytime stuff. I don’t think I had any excess body fat. At all. And it was hard to stay warm. I started a bit of uncontrollable shaking sometimes. Mom also came home with everything that she thought came close to my favorite snack and candy food. Swedish Fish were good if they were fresh. But even though the ones she bought were soft and tender, they were a chore for me. Soup and Malto Meal, at least I called it Malto Meal, some kind of porridge that Mme Benoir swore by. Break up a biscuit and let it soak and it was good, really good. But I could never eat more’n a half’a bowl.

Dad had time to look at my thumb drive. He was double glad we were his third priority after seeing that. Mom gave him the play-by-play of my Minsk trip. I could tell he was impressed. I think that was why he gave me all the details of everything he did while apart from us. And… he was amazed that I’d brought home a computer – perfect. He poured over that thing and made notes, notes that he promptly burned up. Said the writing logged it into his long-term memory. Good trick to know for… He’d started to say school. School that I would never again darken the door.

I’m half ashamed of myself, but one time when Mme Benoir was there, bringing fresh linen, I think, I made a point of asking Mom if we could go back to Jungfraujoch. You should have seen Mme Benoir’s face turn red! “I love you, Mme Benoir,” I said. She gave me a Swiss wave-off. At least that’s what I called it, a cross between a royal British wave and an oh, you, silly.

“I’m going to ask you to take this thumb drive to Vaduz, Liechtenstein. It’s only an hour or so from here. Some beautiful country. There’s a small Embassy there. Usually no operative, but they’ll let you seal it into a diplomatic pouch.” Dad was holding up the drive like it was the code to the Presidential nuclear football. “But this part is most important – Be sure they understand that I have more.”

Personally, I would have questioned that… how to get them to do that. But this was their trade. I trusted they knew what they were talking about.

“This isn’t the one Ohmie brought you,” Mom observed.

“No, I only copied the spyware, malware, and ransomware files. And a little bit of the political stuff. The rest, I don’t know… Some of it’s encrypted. Some of it I may be able to use to flush out Dortch. If he thinks I might still have incriminating stuff…” Dad looked over at me. “Well, let’s just say he wouldn’t use a rifle.”

“You know the Liechtenstein flight will fly right over here to Zurich?” Mom was a bit skeptical of going out of her way when Zurich was closer and bigger, and had a Company presence.

“Dortch,” Dad said. “He knows you and Ohmie are in Europe. He knows I would want to see you. Both of you.” Again, Dad stole a glance at me. “I wouldn’t put it past him to have a couple soldiers watching the Embassy. They got you once, remember?” This time Dad looked at Mom’s right arm in a cast.

“I’ve never been there. You might swing past the airport and check out its security, how advantageous it might be for me to fly in for you to pick me up… on occasion.” He looked at me again.

Ready to go, he came over to say goodbye to me. By this time I was sitting up in a chair where I could see the mountains. I was wrapped in a blanket, my arms bundled up. I could see that he was at a loss for words.

“I should be going with you,” I said. “We’re a team.”

Dad smiled. His eyes were blinking faster than normal.

“Dad, I love you.” It was the first time I ever remember saying it. Mom was by the door dabbing her eyes.

“Ohmie, Tim. I love you.” He kissed me on the forehead. It was the first time he’d ever said that.





Seems like I've tried a hundred ways to get line and paragraph spacing more professional. What's the trick?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wayne Fowler All rights reserved.
Wayne Fowler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.