Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 20, 2022 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Fenton tells Cooper about the jewels

A chapter in the book Death By Murder

Death By Murder - Chap 17

by Begin Again




Background
A jewel heist, Boston's rival gang war, and unsolved murders. Cold case specialists Detectives Hank and Emmy, track the missing diamonds and become entwined in murders, untold stories, and much more.

END OF CHAPTER 16

Both men gathered their thoughts and shared a peaceful moment, admiring the picturesque view. With the mansion perched above the city, the panorama was stunning.  

"Now it is time for you to stop carrying this burden yourself. Tell me your secret and how it affects my family. That's why you came to see me today, right?"

Fenton nodded as a shiver danced across his spine. He hoped he was doing the right thing because knew Andrew would never steer him wrong. "It's the jewels, sir. 

"The jewels?" Cooper's eyes widened as he stared at Fenton. "From the heist? It can't be."

 

BEGINNING OF CHAPTER 17

Cooper’s heart slammed against his chest. He didn’t want to lose control again, but he wanted to confirm what he thought he’d heard his visitor say. 

Fenton fidgeted with a loose thread on the cuff of his shirt, stalling till he was positive he was in control of his emotions. He wanted to do the right thing but wasn't positive that telling Cooper what he knew was it.

“Please sit. I need some coffee. Would you prefer a cup, or is the lemonade, okay?”  

“A strong shot of coffee would be good, sir. Need a little caffeine this morning, if you don’t mind.” 

Cooper filled two mugs, placed them on the desk, and sat in his office chair. “Now then, what did you want to talk to me about? What do you know about the jewels?” 

“I’m not — well, I’m not really sure of where to start.” Fenton claimed a chair near Cooper. He picked up his mug and sipped the steaming brew, stalling for time.  

“My grandfather always told me to start from the beginning when I was telling a story. So, let’s try that, shall we?” Cooper smiled and drank his coffee, giving Fenton a moment to gather his thoughts. 

“I do a lot of odd jobs around town. If something needs to be done, I’m their man.” Fenton dropped his eyes and stared at his lap. “Not meaning to brag about myself, but I’m not afraid of work, even the crap jobs no one else wants. A job is a job.” 

“That’s quite commendable, Fenton. I could tell by your handshake you were a hard worker. Something to be proud of.” 

Fenton smiled. “I am, especially when people thank me for what I’ve done. Makes me feel good. I make sure I earned every dollar they pay me.” 

“I imagine you do. Does one of your jobs have to do with what you want to tell me?” Cooper tried to bring Fenton around to the reason he was in his office. 

“Part of it, I guess. I worked the night shift at the bank. They'd had a water pipe break, and everything was a mess in the lobby. A separate crew was working on it, but when quitting time came, they left, telling the tellers another crew would be there to finish the job. The place was buzzing. Pipes and boxes were scattered across the lobby.” 

“I see how that would have been a catastrophe for the bank tellers. Their customers wouldn’t be too happy dodging the mess.” 

“I heard them talking about it, and I volunteered to stay and clear out the things. They were really excited about my offer.” Fenton took another drink of his coffee before continuing, “I was about to leave when one of the tellers pulled me aside and said there was some blue stuff spilled on the floor at her station. It was a can of plumber’s glue. I knew I couldn’t leave it there to dry. so I told her I would clean it for her.” 

Fenton inhaled and expelled the air. “That’s when I heard the girls giggling and whispering in the next station. They were really excited. A lawyer had come in to open a deceased client’s safe deposit box but couldn’t get his key to work. The teller helped him and started to leave. But then he blurted, “Oh my God”, startling her. She said she looked at him and then the box before hurrying out of the room.” 

“What was in the box? Did she say?” Cooper’s curiosity was piqued. 

“Oh yeah. I think they forgot I was on the floor scrubbing the glue off. A girl said the box was brimming with diamonds, gold, and pieces of jewelry. The group of women acted like it belonged to them. Those silly girls were talking about what they would do with all those jewels.” 

Cooper leaned forward on his desk. “Did they say who the box belonged to, Fenton? Or mention the lawyer’s name?” 

“No, sir. And to be honest, I was exhausted from a long night and sluffed it off as being some giggling women exaggerating about things.” 

“I understand. So why did you decide it was important to tell me this now?” 

Fenton stared at his hands for a moment. He might have seen a murder, and if he told the doctor what he heard and saw, he might be next. 

“Come on, Fenton. Andrew told you to trust me, didn’t he?” Cooper prodded the nervous man. 

Fenton nodded. “It’s just —” 

“It’s scary, I know. I want to help you. I would never put you in jeopardy, but you need to trust me.” 

“I was in the alley last night, walking home from work at another job.” 

“The alley where a man almost got killed?” 

“Almost? You said almost. Does that mean Rudy’s alive?” 

“You know Rudy?” Fenton nodded his head. “Did you alert the police?” 

“Not exactly. I heard his screams and rushed over to the side of the shed to look in the window. This guy was slamming his fists into Rudy, yelling about diamonds. I knew I couldn't stop him so I hurried as fast as I could up the alley to The Watering Hole. The lights were on, so I suspected Sandy was still cleaning up the bar. She opened the door, swinging that bat of hers. She heard the screams and ran toward the shed. To be honest, when the place started crawling with police, I dragged myself home.” Fenton shook his head. “I suppose I should have stayed, but I’m not good with law enforcement. They like to shove me around sometimes. Probably because I don’t walk right. I’m an easy target for the bullies.” 

“Don’t worry about it, Fenton. I’ve heard you need to be careful about who you trust, including the police department. Your kind of information in the wrong hands could be mighty dangerous. You did the right thing in coming to me.” Cooper mulled the information around in his head, wondering if Fenton was safe on the streets. What if the woman told someone about the diamonds and Fenton? 

Fenton stood and moved toward the door. “I guess I took up enough of your time. I should go.” His body was trembling, making it even more difficult to walk. 

“Fenton, for the moment, I think you would be safer here. Your information could put you at risk with the wrong people.” 

“Here? No, sir, I can’t. I’ll be okay. I’ve got plenty of places to hide.” 

“I insist. I appreciate you sharing with me, and I want to repay you by keeping you safe. I am positive Andrew can make you comfortable in the clubhouse. Someone is always there to keep you company. What do say? For my peace of mind, will you hang out with the guys for a few days?” 

“Are you sure? Cause I’ve been roughing it all my life. I can make do.” 

“I have no doubt that you can, but I would feel better. Okay?” 

Fenton begrudgingly agreed, and the two men returned to the clubhouse. After conversing with the group, Cooper had no doubt that Andrew and the other men would keep Fenton safe.  

As he walked back to the study, Cooper mulled over the story Fenton had told him. Was his patient connected in some way to the jewels? Were the jewels from the infamous jewel heist? Were Rudy’s assailants connected to the Costello family?  

Cooper dropped into his office chair and stared out the window. “Grandpa, now what am I supposed to do?” 

Lost in thought, he didn’t hear the tap at the door. Elizabeth entered the room and looked around to see if anyone else was there. Her heart ached to see the strained look on her son’s face. 

“Cooper, darling, you look exhausted.” 

He turned toward her voice and smiled at his mother. “That I am. Mother.” 

“You should get some rest.” She set a package she’d been carrying on the desk. “I found this on the stoop. It’s addressed to my father.” 

Cooper’s eyes met his mother’s, and then they both stared at the package. “It doesn’t have a return address.” A chill raced through Cooper as he felt the hair on his neck bristle. “Did you see who delivered it?” 

Elizabeth’s eyes filled with fear. “Cooper, you don’t think —” She took a few steps backward. “Don’t touch it!”  Her voice quivered, “I’ll — get — Andrew.” 




Recognized


CHARACTERS:
Frank O'Hara - deceased crime boss
Elizabeth O'Hara - daughter of deceased parents -Frank and Bethany O'Hara
Cooper O'Hara - Respected surgeon and illegitimate son of Elizabeth O'Hara
Hank Armato - Detective, newly transferred to Boston, Mass
Emmy Lansbury - Detective, interested in cold cases
Sara and Anthony - Siblings, owner/operator of the cafe
Police Chief Manley - At the helm of Boston's Police Headquarters
Kassandra - the Chief's Assistant
Andrew - Irish immigrant and elder of O'Hara's band of men
Lance Fenway - Attorney
Rupert Blackwell - Lance's first big client
Satan - Mr. Blackwell's butler and caretaker
Bennie Hogan - cousin and Lance's best friend
Rudy Hogan - Bennie's dad
Peter Costello - Rival gang boss taking the reins from his father
Bruiser - driver, bodyguard and "man of all trades"
Sandy - bartender and owner of The Watering Hole (an Irish bar in Shanty Town)
Mason and Paddy - thugs looking for a score
Fenton Bradenton - young, hardworking immigrant with a good heart
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.