Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 20, 2022 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Cooper meets fenton

A chapter in the book Death By Murder

Death By Murder - Chap 16

by Begin Again




Background
A jewel heist, Boston's rival gang war, and unsolved murders. Cold case specialists Detectives Hank and Emmy, track the missing diamonds and become entwined in murders, untold stories, and so much mor

THE END OF CHAPTER 15

"Cooper, if you hadn't —" Elizabeth turned her face away from her son, hiding her emotions. 

"Mother, where is Andrew? I told you it wasn't safe to go anywhere without him. He should have been by your side."

"It's not Andrew's fault. I sent him inside with boxes. I planned to be behind him, but Peter caught me off guard."

"With Peter Costello, we always have to expect the unexpected. He's not to be trusted. Though I was surprised by his familiarity. He said you were old friends. What did he mean by that?"

"Peter and I both attended the same Catholic school. He had an infatuation for me, and I didn't return his feelings. Classes were small, and of course, we knew each other. He always claimed the desk next t,o mine and I always requested permission from the nuns to move."

"Is that what he meant by a stubborn streak? And I've never heard you called Lizzie. Did your friends call you by that name in school?"

"It was Peter's pet name for me." She couldn't bring herself to look at her son. "You've had a long night, Cooper. Can we just let it go for now?"

Cooper sensed there was more to the story than his mother was willing to share, but he was too weary to press her. "Here comes Andrew. He can drive you home, and I will be right behind you."

"Cooper, you're a good son. Thank you for coming to my rescue."

"No problem." He closed the car door and headed to his own car, wondering why he'd never heard anyone refer to his mother as Lizzie until today. A pet name seemed more than a childhood crush.

***********************************************

CHAPTER 16

 

"Coop, y'ur visithr is 'ere. Shud I send 'im up?" The older man's capped head peered around the study door. 

"Yes, and thanks, Andrew." The grueling late-night surgery and the incident with Costello and his mother had Cooper's nerves on edge. He was exhausted, and his bed was calling him, but Andrew had insisted this meeting was very important. 

Within minutes, there was a knock at the study door. 

"Come in." It was time to see what had set Andrew on edge. 

A curly head of hair and a terrified face peered around the cracked door. "An — Andrew said it was okay to come, sir."

"Of course, please, come in."

Cooper pushed his chair away from the desk, stood, and walked around, offering his hand to the young man. He appreciated the firm grip and the rough texture of his hands. Cooper smiled, at once noting that his visitor's calloused hand said he was not afraid of hard work. He wasn't looking for a handout but was overwhelmed by the opulent study. 

"It took a lot of courage for you to come here." He paused. "I'm sorry. I didn't catch your name."

"It's Fenton, sir. Fenton Bradenton." 

"Please sit down, Fenton." Cooper pointed at a chair, wondering if the trembling young man was about to collapse. It was only when Fenton crossed the room that Cooper noticed his visitor walked with a limp. He added, "You can forget the sir. My family and friends call me Cooper except Andrew. He prefers Coop."

"Thank you, si —" Fenton swallowed hard and added, "Coo — Cooper."

 Cooper couldn't hide his amusement but admired how quickly Fenton recovered. He estimated Fenton was about ten years younger than himself but hadn't lived as comfortably as the O'Hara family had done. 

Trying to ease Fenton's nerves, Cooper addressed the impressive mansion. "I know being inside the mansion might be uncomfortable for you, but remember, it's just four walls and a roof, like every other house. Besides, it belongs to my grandfather and my mother; It's not mine. Sometimes, it's overwhelming to me, and I grew up here." Cooper chuckled, hoping Fenton would relax. 

"Probably could put my entire apartment inside this room, sir." Fenton let his eyes wander around for a moment. "It is stunning, for sure." He couldn't help but admire the mahogany bookshelves filled with books and artwork far beyond anything he had seen in his lifetime.  

"Thank you, but I don't think you came to see me for a house tour, now did you, Fenton? I'm told you have something significant to share with me and only me. Is that true?"

"Yes, sir."

"I'm going to be honest with you, Fenton. I suppose you might be looking for compensation for this information. In that case, I must regretfully inform you that my grandfather left the family in a rough spot if you get my meaning."

"Reward? Absolutely not! My mother, God rest her soul, told me what's right is right, and I should always follow in the steps of our Lord." Fenton made the sign of a cross on his chest and then continued speaking, "Word on the street is your family came up the hard way, immigrants like mine. I do not want to appear nosey, but some say your family suffered during the gang wars." Fenton gulped and feared looking at Cooper, unsure if he should continue. 

"If you mean the bloody war between the Costellos and my family, you are correct. My grandfather's stubbornness led our family into disgrace."

"Oh no, sir — I mean Cooper. Everyone respects your grandfather. He might have walked on the dark side of life, but he generously cared for everyone in need."

"Unfortunately, that's a side of my grandfather I was not privy to. I am just now learning about his philanthropy — after his death. He shared none of this with my mother or me."

"Normally, I would not concern myself with the private lives of others, but I believe you and your family are entitled to this information." Fenton pressed his lips tightly together and looked around the study. He was nervous. "Some men might kill me for what I am about to tell you."

"I assure you; this conversation will be our secret."

"After I tell you, I don't believe you will keep it to yourself, but I pray you will tell no one where you heard it."

Cooper smiled at the young man's honesty and perception. "I can promise you that, Fenton. I give my oath of honor on my grandfather's grave unless you give me permission. 

"By pure accident, I believe I learned some information concerning a man who has something far more important than money. Your family shed their blood for it."

Cooper's heart slammed against his chest in alarm. His inner thoughts screamed, "Did this man shed my family's blood? Did he murder my grandfather?" He jumped out of the chair and paced in front of the window. The hairs on the back of his neck bristled as anger surged through his body. Was this how his grandfather had felt when people brought harm to their family? 

"Tell me, Fenton! Spit it out!" Cooper's voice was loud, terrifying Fenton. His yelling was so out of character. 

Fenton rose from the chair and hobbled toward the study door. His eyes were glassy with fear. "I—I—I made a mistake, sir. Forgive me for upsetting you. I'll go now."

"No!" Cooper wondered who was screaming, then realized it was him. He moved toward Fenton, who pressed his back tightly against the closed study door. "Wait! — I am so sorry for intimidating you. It's just—" Cooper stopped and fell unceremoniously into a chair, burying his face in his hands. "Forgive me, please. I don't normally act like that. I've embarrassed myself and you. My grandfather's death appears to have had a major effect on me."

Fenton recognized the doctor's genuine remorse. "No need to apologize. I understand how losing someone so special can change a person. I can come back another time if you wish."  

Cooper lifted his head and managed to smile at Fenton. "I would like you to share a beverage with me as we admire the world outside this window. It always relaxes me," The doctor walked to the serving cart. "Is fresh lemonade okay?" He filled two glasses and held one out toward Fenton. "Come. I promise not to lose my temper again."

Fenton shuffled across the room. Cooper fought to control his breathing as the two men stood side by side; Cooper's emotions were whirling inside him, feelings he never expected to feel, let alone understand. When he could speak calmly, he said, "We both come from immigrant families and want to become an important part of this country. We should be friends, Fenton. Good friends."

"That would be very nice," Fenton murmured, unable to tear his gaze away from the skyline to look into Cooper's eyes. 

Both men gathered their thoughts and shared a peaceful moment, admiring the picturesque view. With the mansion perched above the city, the panorama was stunning.  

"Now it is time for you to stop carrying this burden yourself. Tell me your secret and how it affects my family. That's why you came to see me today, right?"

Fenton nodded as a shiver danced across his spine. He hoped he was doing the right thing because he knew Andrew would never steer him wrong. "It's the jewels, sir. 

"The jewels?" Cooper's eyes widened as he stared at Fenton. "From the heist? It can't be."




Recognized


CHARACTERS:
Frank O'Hara - deceased crime boss
Elizabeth O'Hara - daughter of deceased parents -Frank and Bethany O'Hara
Cooper O'Hara - Respected surgeon and illegitimate son of Elizabeth O'Hara
Hank Armato - Detective, newly transferred to Boston, Mass
Emmy Lansbury - Detective, interested in cold cases
Sara and Anthony - Siblings, owner/operator of the cafe
Police Chief Manley - At the helm of Boston's Police Headquarters
Kassandra - the Chief's Assistant
Andrew - Irish immigrant and elder of O'Hara's band of men
Lance Fenway - Attorney
Rupert Blackwell - Lance's first big client
Satan - Mr. Blackwell's butler and caretaker
Bennie Hogan - cousin and Lance's best friend
Rudy Hogan - Bennie's dad
Peter Costello - Rival gang boss taking the reins from his father
Bruiser - driver, bodyguard and "man of all trades"
Sandy - bartender and owner of The Watering Hole (an Irish bar in Shanty Town)
Mason and Paddy - thugs looking for a score
Fenton Bradenton - young, hardworking immigrant with a good heart
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.