General Fiction posted November 18, 2022 Chapters: -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A story of rebeginnings

A chapter in the book Stories from Morrison

The Snake and the Apple Worm

by Bill Schott


 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A snake lie at the base of an apple tree. Within his body, a frog and a mouse underwent the reductive process of digestion. 
 
"Well," began the frog, "this has been a day, for sure."
 
"I have to agree, chump," replied the mouse. 
 
"My problem, as I now see it, was believing what the snake told me," said the frog.
 
"What was that?" 
 
"The snake said that the knowledge of good and evil could be gained by partaking of the fruit of this tree."
 
"Really?" said the mouse with a wrinkled brow. "I was not aware that frogs were big fruit lovers."
 
"Well, no, but, c'mon. The knowledge of good and evil? It's worth a bite; right?"
 
"Was it?"
 
"Well -- I had to get a lift to the branches, and the snake suggested I ride in his mouth." 
 
"Ha ha!" laughed the mouse. "You must feel pretty dumb right now."
 
"What's your story, rat-wanna-be?"
 
"I had actually climbed the tree and gnawed the stem of a particularly juicy apple. I was planning to have it drop where I could chew it up on the ground."
 
"So you did, it did, then the snake ate you?"
 
"No, not exactly," said the mouse. "While I was nibbling on the stem, a worm popped out of the apple."
 
"Mmm! Sounds delicious. Was it?" asked the frog.
 
"Actually, the darn thing started talking to me."
 
"What!? A talking worm?"
 
"Yes! I was as shocked as you. Anyway, the worm said that his apple was a good one. Some were evil, so if anyone ate one of those, they would only learn of what was evil in the world."
 
"So. did you eat the apple?" asked the frog.
 
"Funny story -- I nabbed the worm and chucked him in my mouth.  As I was chomping him up, the half-eaten stem gave way and I rode the apple to the ground."
 
"So, then the snake found you and --"
 
"He asked me if the apple I fell with was a good one or an evil one."
 
"What did you tell him?"
 
"I told him I didn't know for sure, but that the talking worm inside said it was a good one."
 
"What did the snake say then?"
 
"He asked me if the worm was okay. I told him it was good eating."
 
"What then?"
 
"The snake kind of widened his eyes, dropped his jaw, and with sort of a quivering lower lip whispered, "W-w-willy?"
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.