Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 15, 2022 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Costello and Elizabeth

A chapter in the book Death By Murder

Death By Murder - Chap 15

by Begin Again




Background
A jewel heist, Boston's rival gang war, and unsolved murders. Cold case specialists, Detectives Hank and Emmy, track the missing diamonds and become entwined in murders, untold stories, and so much mo

ENDING OF CHAP 14

“A bloody gang war with each family blaming the other and claiming no connection to the heist, added to a million-dollar robbery and not one stone surfaced to this very day.” Hank’s brain was spinning, but his eyes were glued to the woman sitting across from him. He wanted to remain there all day. 

Admonishing himself, he added, “Maybe we should start with the O’Hara family. I thought I read about a daughter — Elizabeth O’Hara and a grandson.” 

“Yes, Elizabeth’s son is Cooper O'Hara. He’s an upstanding physician at Mercy Hospital, so I am told. Emmy pushed her chair away from the desk and stood. “Let me check my office for messages, and we can go make a visit.” 

“Sounds great. It gives me time to sample one or two of these pastries. My mouth has been watering for the past hour.” 

Emmy laughed and headed for her office as Hank bit into his first pastry. 

CHAPTER 15

The petite brunette’s eyes sparkled as she looked adoringly at the doctor. Like every nurse on the floor, she, too, was infatuated with the charming and highly skilled surgeon. “Long night, Dr. O’Hara. Must have been a tough one.” 

“Six hours and the decision isn’t in yet, Patty.” Cooper scribbled a note on the bottom of the patient’s chart and handed it to her. “Please keep a very close eye on our patient. It’s going to be touch-and-go for a while. Call me if anything changes.” 

“He was lucky you were the doctor on call. My friend in the ER said when they first wheeled him in, she thought he’d never make it.” 

“He’s not out of the woods, but at least he has a fighting chance.” Cooper headed toward the exit, stopping to add, “Oh, make sure everyone knows he is not to have visitors.” 

“There’s an officer outside his door, but I will remind the staff.” Patty smiled and waved. “Get some rest.” 

“Thanks. You can reach me at home if you need me.”  

********************* 

Bruiser turned on the car’s left blinker and waited for a few cars to pass before turning into the entryway. “Mercy Hospital, Boss. We using the front entrance or a back door?”  

“I’d prefer to arrive unannounced, so drive around back. The car will be less noticeable.” 

“Sure thing. Looks like they are working on the roadway, so I’ll cut through the parking lot and then around back.” Bruiser slowly maneuvered the car through the lot, stopping to let a pedestrian cross in front of the car. He stepped on the gas pedal and continued down the aisle. 

“Stop the car,” Peter shouted and leaned over the back of the front seat and peered out the windshield. The car lurched as Bruiser hit the brakes. “A slight change in plans.” Peter pointed his finger toward a woman removing boxes from her trunk. “I need to talk to her.” 

Bruiser watched the woman unload her car. “Whatever you say, Boss. Do you want me to move closer?” 

“No! I’ll walk.” Peter opened the rear door and exited, hurrying toward the woman. He couldn’t help but admire the early morning sun glinting off her hair. His heart skipped a beat as he approached. “Good morning, Lizzie. May I help you?” 

Elizabeth’s body felt as if his words had tasered her; electricity shot through every nerve ending. Replacing the box into her trunk, she slowly turned to face the man who had addressed her. “No! That won’t be necessary.” Her eyes were wide as she stared at him. 

“I mean no harm, Lizzie. I just wanted to offer my help. A lady shouldn’t have to haul heavy boxes around.” 

“I’m perfectly capable of doing it. After all, this isn’t the first time I’ve worked at the Holiday Bazaar.” Elizabeth looked toward the hospital entrance. “I’m not alone. I sent Andrew ahead with boxes, but he should return any minute.” 

“You’re trembling. You should know I’d never harm you.” Peter’s voice was calm as he attempted to reassure her. 

“Your family’s past record says differently.” Elizabeth’s tone was cold, and her words snapped. “I can’t prove it, but I know you or someone who works for your father killed my father. He was murdered on his own doorstep, Peter. What kind of monster does something so cruel?” 

“Lizzie, that’s absurd. Our fathers had their feud, but that wasn’t my concern. I couldn’t take anything from you.” 

“Lies! You know you already did, Peter. You can never change what you took, and I can never forgive you.” 

“You’re mistaken.” Peter reached out to touch her arm, and she snatched it away. 

Her fear and dislike for Peter Costello was overwhelming. Elizabeth screamed, “Get away from me!” 

 

Exiting the hospital, Cooper stretched and inhaled the crisp air. “Good morning, Boston.” For a moment, it rejuvenated his step as he walked across the parking lot to his car. Then he heard a woman’s voice, irate and very familiar. He stopped and looked around, shouting,  “Mother! Where are you?” 

“Cooper, is that you?” Elizabeth moved further from Peter. “Over here.” She could see her son in the next aisle and waved her hand frantically.  

Spotting his mother, Cooper raced between the cars to her side. “Are you okay?” He put a protective arm around her. “I thought I heard you yelling.” 

“It’s okay, Cooper. Mr. Costello startled me when I was getting boxes from the car, that’s all.” 

“Where’s Andrew? Why isn’t he with you?” Cooper’s eyes shot daggers at the man in front of him. 

“So, I have the pleasure of meeting Mercy’s shining star.” Peter extended his hand, but Cooper ignored it. “Your mother and I are old friends. I’m Peter Costello.” 

“Your reputation precedes you, Mr. Costello. I speak for my mother and myself when I say we aren’t interested in your friendship.” Cooper opened the passenger door and stepped aside so his mother could get in the car. 

Peter gave Cooper a long, hard stare before speaking directly to Elizabeth. “My apologies for scaring you, Lizzie.” He turned and then added, “You’ve always had a stubborn streak. It could have been so different.” Bruiser had moved the sedan much closer, waiting for a signal from his boss. Instead, Peter returned and climbed into the car. “Let’s get out of here, Bruiser. We will come back later.” 

 

***************************** 

“Cooper, if you hadn’t —” Elizabeth turned her face away from her son, hiding her emotions. 

“Mother, where is Andrew? I told you it wasn’t safe to go anywhere without him. He should have been by your side.” 

“It’s not Andrew’s fault. I sent him inside with boxes. I had planned to be right behind him, but Peter caught me off guard.” 

“With Peter Costello, we always have to expect the unexpected. He’s not to be trusted. Though I was surprised by his familiarity. He said you were old friends. What did he mean by that?” 

“Peter and I both attended the same Catholic school. He was infatuated with me, and I didn’t return his feelings. Classes were small, and, of course, we knew each other. He always claimed the desk next to mine, and I always requested permission from the nuns to move.” 

“Is that what he meant by a stubborn streak? And I’ve never heard you called Lizzie. Did your friends call you by that name in school?” 

“It was Peter’s pet name for me.” She couldn’t bring herself to look at her son. “You’ve had a long night, Cooper. Can we just let it go for now?” 

Cooper sensed there was more to the story than his mother was willing to share, but he was too weary to press her. “Here comes Andrew. He can drive you home and I will be right behind you.” 

“Cooper, you’re a good son. Thank you for coming to my rescue.” 

“No problem.” He closed the car door and headed to his own car, wondering why he’d never heard anyone refer to his mother as Lizzie until today. A pet name seemed more than a childhood crush. 




Recognized


CHARACTERS:
Frank O'Hara - deceased crime boss
Elizabeth O'Hara - daughter of deceased parents -Frank and Bethany O'Hara
Cooper O'Hara - Respected surgeon and illegitimate son of Elizabeth O'Hara
Hank Armato - Detective, newly transferred to Boston, Mass
Emmy Lansbury - Detective, interested in cold cases
Sara and Anthony - Siblings, owner/operator of the cafe
Police Chief Manley - At the helm of Boston's Police Headquarters
Kassandra - the Chief's Assistant
Andrew - Irish immigrant and elder of O'Hara's band of men
Lance Fenway - Attorney
Rupert Blackwell - Lance's first big client
Satan - Mr. Blackwell's butler and caretaker
Bennie Hogan - cousin and Lance's best friend
Rudy Hogan - Bennie's dad
Peter Costello - Rival gang boss taking the reins from his father
Bruiser - driver, body guard and "man of all trades"
Sandy - bartender and owner of The Watering Hole (an Irish bar in Shanty Town)
Mason and Paddy - thugs looking for a score
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.