Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 14, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A word about charitable giving.

Helping Hand

by Terry Broxson

This story is an old lesson learned and recently brought to mind.
 
In 1969, I was twenty-three years old. After graduating college, I had my first job working for the American Cancer Society in Waco, Texas. I worked with local volunteers in seventeen counties to carry out the works of the ACS. Chief among the activities was fundraising.
 
In those days, the largest source of money for the ACS was its door-to-door campaign. Neighbors go through their neighborhoods to solicit donations. The volunteers also handed out literature about cancer's warning signs. This effort happened in April.
 
The first week of May, an elderly woman came into my office and proclaimed, "Y'all missed me."
 
"Ma'am, I don't understand."
 
"Nobody came by my house and asked for a donation. I always give to the Cancer Society." 
 
"I'm sorry; I guess we missed you somehow." The truth was, we missed a lot of folks. Sometimes it was not easy to get volunteers to raise money.
 
"Well, never mind, I decided to bring my donation to you." The lady opened her purse, took out two quarters, and put them on my desk. 
 
"Thank you, would you like me to give you a receipt?"
 
"No, you look like a young fella I can trust."
 
I learned a couple of things from the lady. First, never assume someone will not help. Second, never undervalue the amount of the donation. 
 
It was just as important to her to give those two quarters as it was for me to accept them on behalf of the ACS. No doubt someone important to her had suffered from cancer, or maybe her. I also believed then, as I do now. Her gift was substantial to her. 
 
I never knew the lady's name. Her name was not necessary. Her gift said it all. 
 
The coming weeks will be a time of giving to loved ones, strangers, and organizations. I want to paraphrase a bit of Edward Kennedy's eulogy for his brother Bobby. If you see a need, try to meet it. If you only help a little, you have helped a lot.



Recognized

#29
November
2022
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.