Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 10, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
From one vet to another

The Honor Flight of My Life

by John Cranford

Veterans Day Salute Contest Winner 

I know what you're thinking. He's a veteran of the Vietnam War and he took an honor flight to visit the Vietnam Memorial in Washington. You would be wrong. Yes, I am a Vietnam vet, but this story is not about me or my service.

It was about 6:30 in the evening on a Thursday, a few years ago. I had just returned from a business trip on a flight from Houston to Birmingham. Unfortunately, my luggage didn't make the flight. They told me my bags would arrive on the next flight at around 8:30 pm.

I settled in for a two-
hour wait. As I was waiting, I noticed a group forming in
the airport lobby. The group kept getting larger and larger, which was unusual for the Birmingham airport on a weekday.

I decided to ask a woman who appeared to be in charge what was going on. She said it was a welcoming party for the returning World War II Veterans Honor Flight. Noticing my grey hair, she then asked if I were a veteran. When I said yes...Vietnam, she paused, then said, "I'll be right back."  She returned, handed me a dog tag emblazoned with the American flag, a pencil engraved with "#1 USA Soldier" and said, "Thank you for your service." I placed them in my briefcase; and as she was leaving, she turned around and said, "Would you honor us by helping us welcome the veterans home?" I said, "The honor would be all mine."

The flight arrived about 10:30 pm and the veterans and their sponsors began to file through baggage claim. I joined the line of people standing and applauding. The veterans looked tired but proud. It had been a long day since their journey began before sunrise. Some were in wheelchairs being pushed by their sponsors; others walked unassisted as if they were marching in step. It was an unexpected and unbelievably moving and humbling experience for me.

I got the chance to shake the hands of several members of the "Greatest Generation" and thank them for what they sacrificed for me, our Country and our freedom. I'll never forget the opportunity I was given to pay my deeply felt respects to some of the finest men of our times...with humility... from one veteran to another.

The dog tag now adorns the replica of the Vietnam statue in my bookcase, along with the pencil, both of which occupy places of high honor in remembrance of that day.

God places us in circumstances we never could imagine. I truly believe He placed me in that particular place, at that particular time, for that particular purpose...to honor those who are so deserving.

God will touch our lives in the most unexpected ways and at the most unexpected times. Don't expect Him to show up in any certain way...just expect Him!
 


Writing Prompt
Write your Veterans Day story based on true events with elaboration. No poetry.
Word count 500-550. Black font only. Keep it G rated though death may be included.

Veterans Day Salute
Contest Winner

Recognized


Honor Flight Network recognizes American veterans for their sacrifices and achievements by flying them to Washington, D.C. to see their memorial at no cost. Top priority is given to World War II and terminally ill veterans from all wars. It has expanded to include Korean War and Vietnam War veterans. In order for Honor Flight Network to achieve this goal, guardians fly with the veterans on every flight providing assistance and helping veterans have a safe, memorable and rewarding experience. This service is considered a small token of appreciation for the sacrifice and service our veterans willingly gave for their country.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. John Cranford All rights reserved.
John Cranford has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.