Horror and Thriller Fiction posted November 8, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A letter from a murder

A Soul That Holly Healed

by Mia Twysted

Murder, We Wrote Contest Winner 

The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.

Nancy Morrison's heart beat against her chest as she opened her front door to find the police standing on her porch. Her sweaty palms slipped off the brass doorknob as she clung her hands to her chest. Holly, her only daughter, had been missing for over a week. Nancy's lips quivered as the one young officer raised his lowered head to meet her eyes.

 

"Mrs. Morrison," the officer said, taking off his hat.

 

"No," Nancy cried out before he could speak another word. "Please, no. Don't tell me my sweet little girl is gone."

 

"We've found a body," he said.

 

Nancy's body convulsed before going limp. Stepping forward, the officer caught the heartbroken mother in midair. Allowing her to lean on him, he walked her into the living room and helped her to sit on the maroon loveseat nearest the door.

 

"I'm sorry, ma'am," he said softly.

 

"Is it really her?" she said.

 

"We believe so," he paused, "the body matches the physical description of your daughter, and she was wearing the necklace from the picture you gave us."

 

"Why?" Nancy cried out, dropping her head into her knees.

 

The officers stood silent while the wounded mother mourned for her lost daughter.

 

"We um," he lightly cleared his throat in an attempt to speak. "we, um, need you to come and identify the body, ma'am." He took a moment for the grieving mother to be as right in mind as she could be, "if that is something you can handle."

 

"Yes," her words quivered from her trembling lips, "yes. Just give me a minute to get cleaned up and grab my purse.

 

Nancy walked upstairs and into her daughter's room. Sitting on the edge of her bed, she pulled her pillow close, sniffing it. The scent of her daughter released memory after memory of how the two laughed together.

 

Nancy's body cringed at the thought of the last time she saw her daughter. Tears rolled from her eyes as she thought that the last words they would ever say to each other were that of fury and vexation.

 

Gathering her things, she accompanied the young officer to the morgue. Nancy's body shook uncontrollably as the corner pulled down the sheet. A loud gasp escaped Nany's lips as she saw the mangled corpse of her daughter lying before her. Her arms had been twisted and broken, her legs smashed, and her stomach crushed. Holly's once light blue eyes were now black and frozen open in fear.

 

The next couple of days were a blur as Nancy made Holly's funeral arrangements. Having gone down to the morgue, Nancy specified a closed casket service so the world would remember her daughter as she was, not as she had been found.

 

The police had no leads, no explanation. No cause. No motive. They were drawing at straws, trying to explain who would do such a thing to this beautiful young woman. Then days after the funeral, Nancy received a letter in the mail.

 

Dear Mrs. Morrison,

 

I am writing to offer you my condolences on the passing of your only daughter. Holly was a bright star whose light was extinguished too soon. The world will be duller without her.

 

Her sweet blonde curls almost glowed in the sunlight when she rode her bike around the block as a child. You couldn't help but be memorized by the sparkle in her eyes.

 

As she grew from a little girl into a young woman, you could see a lot of you in her. She had your caring nature and helpful soul. She was always looking out for the little guy and lending a hand to those in need asking nothing in return.

 

As a cheerleader, she inspired the town and her team to win their way to the finals and made each Friday night football game a one-of-a-kind event.

 

There wasn't anything this beautiful soul couldn't do when she put her mind to it.

 

I enjoyed watching Holly grow up over the years, not having any children of my own. I didn't think I could be much of a parent, but if I had had a child, I would imagine her to be someone just like your sweet little Holly.

 

Think of the things she could have accomplished if she had been given more time on this Earth and how Heaven must be rejoicing to have one of its angels back home with them.

 

I want you to know how much happiness your little Holly brought to those around her. It is as if she could get inside their mind and hearts and find the core of their sadness or fear. Holly brought them out of the darkness and into the light relieving the tension and torment that haunted them. They went on to live better, freer lives because she had cured them of the dark, nothing that was slowly overtaking them.

 

I wasn't the only one who noticed this about her; others also saw it. You will have so many people telling you how your little girl found her way into their hearts.

 

I was hoping to see Holly one last time at the service, but you opted for a closed casket; I guess I understand. Seeing your darling little girl in such a condition must have been hard. To wonder what things were done to her and who could have done it.

 

I would love to tell you that she did not suffer at my hand, but I would be lying. I tried to tell myself not to do it. I tried to convince myself of how wrong it was, but my desire overtook me, and before I knew it, it was said and done.

 

Her hair was soft and delicate as I ran my fingers through it. I wiped the tears from her eyes as I rubbed my body against hers. Her skin was so soft to the touch.

 

I want you to know she cried out for you. Holly regretted the last time she saw you and wished the two of you had not fought. She spoke of you with such love and respect. She didn't want her last words to you to be from a place of anger. Holly wanted to tell you that you were a fantastic mother and not to blame yourself for anything that befell her.

 

Mrs. Morrison, I craved every moment I had with Holly. If for only a short time, she brought so much bliss into my dull, colorless life. Holly's thick plush lips were soft when pressed up against mine.

 

She wasn't alone in those final moments, Mrs. Morrison. I want you to know that. I stayed with her. With one hand on her chest and the other holding hers, I felt her heartbeat quicken and then slow till it was nonexistent. Her hand clasped mine at the end when she took her final breath.

 

Think not of what her body endured, for pain releases the soul to its truest form. The hue of her at that last moment was dynamic and vibrant. I found it a shame that I was the only one to witness the color of her soul as it passed from this world into the next. If only there were a way to share that with others and have them understand.

 

Holly provided me with a release, Mrs. Morrison. A release of my wicked ways allowing me to be kind and gentle to those around me. She helped curve the rage that would otherwise destroy my life and my family if they ever found out the dark things that run through my mind.

 

In giving her life, Holly has saved the lives of those around her. She did in death what she did in life; she helped. My course and cold hands that took the knife across her throat will now be steady and not twitch with the urge to do the same thing to my own child.

 

Mrs. Morrison, I commend you on the daughter you raised almost entirely on your own. You were an exemplary mother and should be proud of the young woman that Holly turned out to be.

 

Since you had your daughter at such a young age, you have the time to find love once again and then marry and have another child. Another child that you would raise with such love and passion that I am sure she or he would be just as giving, understanding, and unique as Holly turned out to be.

 

Grieve your daughter Mrs. Morrison but don't fall into the sadness and forget to move on. For you will see Holly again one day. You will be reunited in the kingdom of Heaven.

 

 I will never forget Holly's sacrifice, and neither should you.

 

Thank you, Mrs. Morrison, and know that Holly will forever live in the hearts of those who loved her. She brightened those like you and me and every other soul with her incredible selfless heart.

 

Thank you, Mrs. Morrison, for bringing such a gift into the world.

 

Forever yours,

A soul Holly healed.




Murder, We Wrote
Contest Winner


Word count 1,515
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by alaskapat at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mia Twysted All rights reserved.
Mia Twysted has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.