General Fiction posted November 8, 2022 Chapters:  ...31 32 -33- 34... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
short story

A chapter in the book Random Rhyme and Petty Prose

Robot On the Ground

by Bill Schott


 
An equatorial landing placed Robot 3.7 kilometers beneath the Pacific Ocean in what had been known as the Mariana Trench. Within days, while employing sonar and seismic probing, Robot traversed to Molly Deep of the Arctic Ocean, Puerto Rico Trench of the Atlantic Ocean, South Sandwich Trench of the Southern Ocean, the Diamantina Trench of the Indian Ocean. From those points, fanning 360 degrees, Robot found no life beneath the ocean floor or across the silent seas.

Breaking the surface, Robot projected a force field trapping ambient gases within a two-million-liter bubble. All gas except helium was then expelled, resulting in a lifting of Robot from the water and above the terrain.
 
Piloting across the continents, Robot scanned with every frequency available. Nothing caused a return signal. 
 
Having completed the global scan, Robot transmitted the data. 
 
Then -- a ping.
 
 
 
 
 



 



Recognized


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.