General Fiction posted November 7, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A garden is Truth. I am surrounded by it each day.

My Garden is Good

by Barry Penfold


I woke this morning to be greeted by small jewels of raindrops hanging onto the agapanthus leaves . The honeyeater was making merry with the recent blooms of the flowers and whilst acknowledging my presence, continued unconcerned . I was just there. A part of the natural scene.

My garden is not perfect.Tended but not overly so, weeds winning in some sectors but not to be seen in others. A work in progress. Recent torrential rainfall has destroyed the vitality of my vegetable patch but remarkably one tomato bush manages to still greet the sun. The juice of the fruit should be sweet.

An approaching din of shrill calls heralds the arrival of lorikeets. They seek the nectar of the bottlebrush and in no time will become intoxicated on the sugar of the flower. The noise quickly reaches a crescendo and for a brief moment I am annoyed. "Shut up," I say in a half-hearted tone. They do not stop.

I stroll to the backyard and the waft of lavender greets. A large magpie struts through yesterday`s cut grass. Worms and dead insects abound so the magpie will feast. But nothing is easy in nature, as the ever persistent and annoying Willy Wag Tail arrives. Chattering and approaching the magpie, oblivious to the size difference, and clearly stating, "Out of here bud". The magpie leaves .

Willy is the boss, for now at least, and takes a position of authority atop a garden post. A sparrow arrives and balances on the rim of a dog dish come bird bath.

I walk to the three seats I have placed near the garden shed. A spider has completed another miracle web. The morning sun warms a small rectangular concrete pad, and I instantly feel the warmth. How good it is.

Yes, I have had some hard times but right now they are nothing. Gone. My garden offers a refuge that produces a magic. Not of the wand waving kind, but of a peace, a well being.

It is clear I am accepted here. I am part of every living thing in my garden. The noise of the world and its stretching of the truth and downright lies mean nothing . Threats of war, hunger and Armageddon are gobbled up like a fresh, iced Krispy Kreme.

Here, right here, is the truth. Every day I sample it.
Yes, my garden is good.




True Story Contest contest entry

Recognized


For those who are lucky enough to have a garden, enjoy it. The truth is there.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Sgoolsby at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Barry Penfold All rights reserved.
Barry Penfold has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.