General Fiction posted November 7, 2022 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 33... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a short story

A chapter in the book Random Rhyme and Petty Prose

Robot Paves the Way

by Bill Schott


 
Scanning of the planet Earth revealed no lifeforms on the surface. Felister Monbal, FM, engineering director and chief fabricator, prepared Robot to perform multiple deep scans to assure there would be no credible deterrents to terraforming. He knew Robot could accomplish the mission, which would include the deepest reaches of the oceans, within two cycles of the planet's moon.

Morgram Weem, MW, assistant director and chief transportation engineer, finished checks of the excelavator. The device prepared transportable contents for slipstreaming, which would alter the molecular exterior for a micro-second. This change allowed for lightspeed delivery of noncorporeal matter.

"Ready for slipping," said MW.

"Let us proceed."

Collecting Robot, MW maneuvered it to the excelavator.

"Good luck, Robot," said MW.

Robot raised its arm and spoke through a palm-installed speaker.

"Epistemological evidence has proven such philosophical positing to be in opposition to erudition."

"Then, go with God," said MW, as he passed his hand over the initiator.

With the sound of an exhale, Robot blinked away.

"It's gone, FM."

FM stepped across the room and stood before MW.

"Did I hear you say, 'Go with God'?"

"When?"

"Just now -- speaking to Robot."

"Just now?"

"What did you say to Robot?"

MW read the concern in FM's face. He pondered the ramifications of his answer.

"I wished it luck."
 

 



Recognized


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.