Family Non-Fiction posted November 6, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My aunt's kindness

Substitute Grandparents

by prettybluebirds

Memories Of Someone's Grandparents Contest Winner 

I never knew my grandparents. I was child number ten of twelve, so by the time I  came along, the grandparents had all passed away. I remember how I envied my best friend, Sandy, when she told me about the fun times she enjoyed with her grandma and grandpa. I was a sad little girl.
 
Aunt Grace and Uncle Claude would sometimes take one or two of us children to stay with them for a few days, probably to help my poor mother out with all of us kids. One of those times, my aunt found me out behind their barn crying.
 
"What's the matter, Ruth?" she asked me. Aunt Grace had a tender heart, and she was almost crying too. 
 
"Why don't I have a grandma or grandpa?" There is nothing like a bit of sympathy to get a child going. "All my friends do; it's not fair," I sobbed.
 
"Oh, you poor child," Aunt Grace said. "I'll tell you what, you can call me Grandma, and we will do fun things together. To start, we can pick some blackberries and make a pie. How does that sound to you?"
 
It sounded perfect to me that long ago day. From that time on, Aunt Grace became Grandma Grace to me. I spent a lot of time with her and my uncle, now Grandpa Claude, and we did fun things together, even if it was just working in the garden or helping feed the chickens. I had a grandma of my own now, and I think she was happy to have someone call her Grandma.
 
I never forgot the kindness my aunt bestowed on me at that time. It meant more than words can convey. My aunt never had biological children of her own, so I like to think perhaps I filled an empty spot in her heart, too. I hope so.


Writing Prompt
Please write a story about someone's grandparents 300-330 words

Memories Of Someone's Grandparents
Contest Winner

Recognized

#31
November
2022


The picture is my aunt Grace and uncle Claude. It was taken at a family reunion in 1953. I was seven at the time.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.