Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 6, 2022 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A man's life hangs in the balance

A chapter in the book Death By Murder

Death By Murder - Chap 10

by Begin Again




Background
A jewel heist, Boston's rival gang war, and unsolved murders. Enter Detective Hank Armato, a cold case specialist, and his new partner, Emmy Lansbury. An inexperienced lawyer holds the bag.

ENDING OF CHAPTER 9

Butterflies fluttered, sending a warm sensation through Emmy. She silently scolded herself for having indulged in so much wine. Blushing, she admonished her dinner partner, "Now, Hank, I bet you say that to all the women. I've heard the stories before you arrived in our fair town."

"Stories?" Hank laughed as he returned his credit card to his wallet. "You don't strike me as falling for everything you hear. People like to talk."

"You must admit, you had every woman in the building drooling over you today. I believe I heard you being referred to as Mr. Charming,"

"Drooling? Over me?" Hank scoffed at her, though he knew it was most likely true. He could have his choice of women, but he'd never found the one to make him commit long-term, not that he hadn't tried a time or two. But there was something about Emmy. He reached for her hand and smiled. "It's a beautiful night. Shall we check out if I can walk and talk?"

Emmy's mind screamed, "Get a hold of yourself, girl!" But the tingling coursing through her body as he touched her yelled, "Go for it!" The female detective did not know where this would take her, but she was more than willing to investigate. Her face was glowing. "I'd love to!"

********************************

CHAPTER 10

In Shanty Town, it was closing time, and Sandy was eager to say goodnight to her last patrons. She stood at the backdoor, watching the trio stagger down the stairs. "Mason, are you sure you can get Rudy home? I could call his son."

"Nooooooo! Bennie's bizzy. His ole man can get 'ome." Rudy howled in protest. 

"Don't worry, pal. My brother, Paddy, and I will get you home." Mason returned his eyes to Sandy. "It's just three blocks, right?"

"Yes, down the alley two blocks and then one block to your right. 1308 Latham. There's a picket fence and a yard filled with weeds and junk. Rudy drags things home, sometimes."

"It's not ju—junk." Slobber drooled off Rudy's chin, and he tried to rub his chin against his shirt. "It's me fortune."

"Okay, before your wailing wakes up the neighborhood, we better get you out of here." Then, with Rudy hoisted between them, Mason and Paddy headed down the alley. 

"Thanks." Sandy waved and closed the door, happy she didn't have to take care of Rudy tonight, 

****************** 

The night air was refreshing, reviving Rudy from his stupor. He began to sing, which was more like a frog croaking, "When d'ose Irish eyes' r smilin'—" Forgetting the song, he wailed, "Na-na-na-na" which echoed in the stillness of the early morning. 

"Shut up!" Paddy squawked. "Mason, this idiot is going to wake up the entire neighborhood. Can't we just leave him to sleep it off?"

"You both need to shut up. I didn't waste my night listening to him ramble on about nonsense. We both heard him yell diamonds. I want to know his story."

"He didn't spill his guts all night. What makes you think he will?"

Rudy pried his eyes open. "Can't tell nobody nuttin-" He shook his head from side to side, losing his footing. "Bennie said —" 

"There's a door open on that shed. Drag him in there." Mason checked the alley and went inside, letting Rudy drop to the floor.  

"What you gonna do?" Paddy stared in horror. "You're not gonna ki-i-ill him, are ya?"

"Hope not, but he's going to tell me about those diamonds." A streetlight added a soft glow through the grimy shed windows, enough for Mason to spot an oily piece of rag on the floor. He shoved it in Rudy's mouth. "Now, old man, you need to listen and listen well. When I take the rag out, you're going to tell me about those diamonds. Understand?"

Rudy shook his head from side to side, spitting the rag out. "Can-n't."

"Wrong answer, pal." Mason drew back his fist and hammered Rudy's face and body. Each brutal punch to Rudy's mouth splattered blood everywhere. "That's just the beginning."

Paddy pressed his body against the side of the shed, sliding toward the door. "Ma—a—son, stop. I ain't no saint, but ne'vr killed a man before. Ya can't do this."

"We can. If we get our hands on those diamonds, our lives will be changed. No more living in Shanty Town." Mason lifted Rudy's chest off the ground and slammed his fist into his face again. "Talk, fool. I want those diamonds."

"Nooo, don't —" Blood spewed from Rudy's mouth, spraying everywhere. “Plee-a-se!” 

"Mason, stop —." Paddy's legs crumbled, and he slid down the wall, sobbing, "Don't do it, man."

"Just shut up, or you'll be next." Chance punched Rudy's torso over and over. "Talk, old man."

Paddy scrambled toward the open door. "I can't watch you kill him." He pulled himself up, covering his ears to shut out Rudy's agonizing screams. "Maybe there aren't any diamonds?"

"He said diamonds. I heard him. You did, too, right? The other guy tried to shut him up," Chance pounded his fist into Rudy. "Now he's going to tell me or else."

Choking on his blood, Rudy moaned in pain as the blood, and some of his teeth spewed out of his mouth. 

Paddy shivered and covered his face, crying, "Mason, plee-a-sse stop."

**************

 A man entered the far end of the alley, stopping now and then. His gait was slow and lopsided because of one leg being shorter than the other, a birth defect that he tried to ignore. Tonight, he'd worked the graveyard shift doing maintenance at the bank and was headed home. Scrubbing toilets and emptying trash wasn't his favorite position, but it was a job. 

Rudy's pleas caught the man's attention. He listened, and when Rudy screamed again, he hobbled to the side of the shed, rubbing dirt from the windowpane, and peered inside. His hand covered his mouth, stifling a gasp at what was happening.  

Knowing his disability prevented him from aiding the man, he looked around and saw lights inside the Watering Hole. Maybe someone was there. 

Not hesitating, he hurried toward the bar's back door. As he collapsed on the porch, he beat on the bottom of the door. 

Sandy swung open the door with her baseball bat, ready to swing. She gasped. A man was lying on her back porch, struggling for air. "What's going on? I'll smash your head if you—" before she recognized him. 

He raised his hand, waving it wildly, and pointed back down the alley. Still breathless, he panted, "Two men — killing —Rudy —in the shed."

Rudy's screams carried across the night air. 

Not waiting to hear another word, Sandy raced down the alley with her trusty baseball bat, screaming, "Rudy — Rudy, where are you?"

 

********************* 

"Somebody's coming. We gotta get out of here." Panic enveloped Paddy, and he screamed. "I think it's the bartender. Let's go!"

Mason released his vise grip on Rudy, letting him drop to the ground. Swearing, he jumped to his feet and raced toward the door, pushing Paddy into the alley. He could see Sandy. "Run!"

Sandy charged toward them with her bat swinging in the air, screaming, "I'm going to batter your heads." 

As the men disappeared between the houses, dogs barked, and porch lights turned on. A voice yelled, "What's going on out there?"

Sandy yelled, "Get help. A man's been beaten." She stepped into the dimly lit shed. Her stomach flipped when she saw Rudy's mangled body, covered with blood. He looked lifeless. Dropping her bat, Sandy knelt at his side and stroked his face, sobbing, "Oh, Rudy, don't die on me, you hear? Helps coming." She closed her eyes and prayed for him to hang on. The tough-skinned bartender couldn't prevent the tears from flowing down her face. 

Sirens blared as they approached. Sandy heard voices yelling, "This way! In the shed." As more squad cars and the ambulance arrived, other voices could be heard. 

The lead officer called out as he entered with his gun drawn. "Police — Put your hands in the air."

Sandy raised her hands. "This man needs help. Hurry! I think he's dying."

The officer lowered his gun. "Is that you, Sandy? What's going on?"

"It's me, Paulie." She lowered her hands. Trembling, she struggled to stand. "It's bad. Real bad." She stared at the blood on her clothes and hands. "Two thugs beat up Rudy. Is the ambulance here?"

As if on cue, the EMTs rushed through the door and went directly to Rudy, checking his vitals. "We gotta get this guy to the hospital, Paulie. It doesn't look good."

Paulie shook his head. "Do your best, guys." He stepped closer to Sandy and placed his arm around her shoulder. In Shanty Town, everyone knew everyone and felt their pain. 

They carefully loaded Rudy on their scoop stretcher and hurried toward the waiting ambulance. The alley was filled with flashing red and blue lights, and police were everywhere. Some talking to neighbors, others checking the yards. 

 

Mason and Paddy ran between the houses, dodging garbage cans and barking dogs, and disappearing into the early morning light. 




Recognized


CHARACTERS:
Frank O'Hara - deceased crime boss
Elizabeth O'Hara - daughter of deceased parents -Frank and Bethany O'Hara
Cooper O'Hara - Respected surgeon and illegitimate son of Elizabeth O'Hara
Hank Armato - Detective, newly transferred to Boston, Mass
Emmy Lansbury - Detective, interested in cold cases
Sara and Anthony - Siblings, owner/operator of the cafe
Police Chief Manley - At the helm of Boston's Police Headquarters
Kassandra - the Chief's Assistant
Andrew - Irish immigrant and elder of O'Hara's band of men
Lance Fenway - Attorney
Rupert Blackwell - Lance's first big client
Satan - Mr. Blackwell's butler and caretaker
Bennie Hogan - cousin and Lance's best friend
Rudy Hogan - Bennie's dad
Peter Costello - Rival gang boss taking the reins from his father
Sandy - bartender and owner of The Watering Hole (an Irish bar in Shanty Town)
Mason and Paddy - thugs looking for a score
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.