Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 4, 2022 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Hank and Emmy turn the heat up a knotch

A chapter in the book Death By Murder

Death By Murder - Chap 9

by Begin Again




Background
A jewel heist, Boston's rival gang war, and unsolved murders. Enter Detective Hank Armato, a cold case specialist, and his new partner, Emmy Lansbury. An inexperienced lawyer holds the bag.

END OF CHAPTER 8

"No, dinner sounds outstanding, and Italian is my favorite. I grabbed a sandwich from the vending machine at lunch, and unfortunately, it ended up in the trash."

Emmy stuck her finger down her throat and faked a gag. "Never eat anything from the vending machine. Someone should have warned you. The sandwiches don't get changed out like they should, and they are stale. Found one with mold. Who knows how long it had been in there."

Hank laughed. "You make it sound so appetizing." He stood and grabbed his suit jacket from the coat rack. "My body cannot survive on coffee and a croissant, so I would love to join you for dinner. A plate of pasta sounds scrumptious. Do you know if cannoli are on the menu?"

"You and your sweets, mister." Emmy laughed and grabbed his arm. "Come on. Let's get out here before you starve to death."

***************************

CHAPTER 9

"Good to the last drop." Hank chuckled as he topped off Emmy's wine glass. He signaled for the waiter. "May we have another bottle of the Cabernet Sauvignon, please." He continued to speak, but his eyes were on Emmy, "If it's alright with the lady, I'd like to move to a quiet table on the balcony."  

The waiter nodded. "Of course, sir. I'll bring it to your table." He smiled at the couple and disappeared among the crowded tables. 

"Great idea, Hank. It's a gorgeous night. We will miss these chances of sitting outside when winter arrives in a few weeks." 

Hank stood and helped Emmy with her chair. The two blended like a couple who'd been together for years. Their small talk over dinner flowed easily without the usual lulls when people meet. On the balcony, they chose a table near the railing where they could admire the spectacular view. 

"I thought we could discuss the case openly without others listening to our conversation." Hank neglected to add that he'd imagined her sitting in the moonlight, and the balcony was the perfect ambiance.  

"Great idea. Where would you like me to start? I've read and reread the files a hundred times. I can almost repeat them verbatim." 

"Before you tell me the details of the heist, how about filling me in on the two families' backgrounds?" 

Emmy thought for a moment and then began, "Anthony Costello and Frank O'Hara were immigrants who came to America for a better life for their families. In the beginning, Frank was satisfied with his small corner of Boston. They made a good living and didn't get too deep into the life of crime. His concern was giving his family a good life." 

"On the other hand, Anthony wanted all the power and fortune he could get. Costello wasn't concerned about who got hurt or who he destroyed; if they got in his way, it was unfortunate but part of doing business. Anthony's son, Peter, developed an infatuation with Frank's daughter, Elizabeth, feelings she didn't return, causing friction between the two families. It might have been the reason for the escalation in the feud between families." 

Taking a sip of wine, Emmy continued, "The police report states Frank, his wife, and their daughter were customers in the jewelry shop. He was buying a costly diamond necklace and a pair of diamond studs for his wife to celebrate their upcoming wedding anniversary. The diamonds were part of the missing jewelry." 

Hank mused, "Could O'Hara have taken them with him? A nice snatch and grab if you don't get caught." 

"He didn't strike me as the type of guy who would have given his wife stolen jewelry. Costello, maybe, but not Frank O'Hara." 

A chuckle escaped Hank. "A crime boss with a soft spot for his family, Love trumps all." 

"Sounds about right. I'm told he loved his family dearly and the men who worked for him."  

Emmy paused, waiting to see if Hank had anything to ask before she began telling him about the files. "The O'Hara family and crew arrived in two sedans parked outside the shop. The family never traveled away from their compound without them." 

"Other than everyone admitting the O'Hara family was in the shop, accounts get messy. No one would go on record as witnessing Costello or his men in the area. The report said a black four-door sedan was parked in front of the café.  

"Costello?" Hank topped off their wine glasses before continuing, "From the bits and pieces I know about the man, he strikes me as having his finger on the pulse of a situation." 

"I agree. I'd say Costello's men didn't breathe without his say-so." 

Hank's fingers strummed against the table. "The puzzle pieces don't fit. The crime scene was messy, and unfortunately, everything was mishandled. I can see Costello starting a war between families but staging a jewelry heist and losing the goods all at the same time seems unprofessional for a man of his stature. If that was the plan, it would have been his chance to knock off O'Hara. He'd have made sure it happened." 

"I agree. Of course, I wasn't around then, but all reports show Costello ran a tight ship. It's possible he didn't know O'Hara would be there, or maybe he was having coffee at the café when someone fired a gun. Pure rivalry made everyone shoot first and ask questions later." 

"From what you've told me, Frank O'Hara would not have endangered his family. He brought them there to buy the diamond necklace, not steal it. When the shooting started, I'd bet his mind was on their safety and getting them out of harm's way." 

"Mrs. O'Hara would never would have accepted stolen diamonds, and Frank certainly would have been aware of her feelings. So why steal it? To sell a gift meant for his wife?" Emmy stifled a yawn. "Oh, I'm sorry." 

"No apologies needed. We can continue the conversation tomorrow at the office. No need to solve the case in one day, now is there?" Hank waved to the server, who was hovering nearby. "Check, please." 

Emmy stood and moved to the railing. "There's a full moon, and the stars are brilliant tonight. It's much too gorgeous to waste. Do you mind walking off the pasta and stretching our legs?" She chuckled, more to herself than anyone. 

Standing, Hank checked his clothing for leftover pasta or a tucked-in napkin. "Did I do something to amuse you?" 

Emmy's cheeks turned pink in embarrassment. "I'm sorry. It must be the wine. I was about to ask if you could walk and talk at the same time as a joke, but I barely know you." 

Hank handed his credit card to the server before responding to Emmy. "It's funny, but I feel like we've known each other much longer. I like your energy and style; you're easy on the eyes." He hesitated, staring at her. "You're quite the lady." 

Butterflies fluttered, sending a warm sensation through Emmy. She silently scolded herself for having indulged in so much wine. Blushing, she admonished her dinner partner, "Now, Hank, I bet you say that to all the women. I've heard the stories before you arrived in our fair town." 

"Stories?" Hank laughed as he returned his credit card to his wallet. "You don't strike me as falling for everything you hear. People like to talk." 

"You must admit, you had every woman in the building drooling over you today. I believe I heard you being referred to as Mr. Charming," 

"Drooling? Over me?" Hank scoffed at her, though he knew it was most likely true. He could have his choice of women, but he'd never found the one to make him commit long term, not that he hadn't tried a time or two. But there was something about Emmy. He reached for her hand and smiled. "It's a beautiful night. Shall we check out if I can walk and talk?" 

Emmy's mind screamed, "Get a hold of yourself, girl!" But the tingling coursing through her body as he touched her yelled, "Go for it!" The female detective did not know where this would take her, but she was more than willing to investigate. Her face was glowing. "I'd love to!




Recognized



CHARACTERS:
Frank O'Hara - deceased crime boss
Elizabeth O'Hara - daughter of deceased parents -Frank and Bethany O'Hara
Cooper O'Hara - Respected surgeon and illegitimate son of Elizabeth O'Hara
Hank Armato - Detective, newly transferred to Boston, Mass
Emmy Lansbury - Detective, interested in cold cases
Sara and Anthony - Siblings, owner/operator of the cafe
Police Chief Manley - At the helm of Boston's Police Headquarters
Kassandra - the Chief's Assistant
Andrew - Irish immigrant and elder of O'Hara's band of men
Lance Fenway - Attorney
Rupert Blackwell - Lance's first big client
Satan - Mr. Blackwell's butler and caretaker
Bennie Hogan - cousin and Lance's best friend
Rudy Hogan - Bennie's dad
Peter Costello - Rival gang boss taking the reins from his father
Sandy - bartender and owner of The Watering Hole (an Irish bar in Shanty Town)
Mason and Paddy - thugs looking for a score
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.