Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 2, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The scariest moment of my life.

Class Is In Session

by Douglas Goff

Ghosts, Spirits, or Both Contest Winner 

In July of 2018, I had a ghost encounter which completely solidified my belief in the existence of spectral beings. It occurred during my annual fishing trip with the guys. One of the fellas owns a cabin on Long Lake in Wisconsin.

The two-story cabin had been built in the early eighties after an older one had been knocked down. I was sleeping in an enclosed room that had once been a porch. It was unique because three of the walls were lined with large windows.

When I went to bed, it started pouring rain and a thunderstorm had started. Lightning began to flash across the sky. The type of lightning that lit up the entire horizon for several seconds, making it look like daylight.

Thanks to the thin windowed walls, the loud thunder and lightning were keeping me awake. At about midnight, I was lying on my bed when I heard an odd noise. It sounded like the steady fizzling sound of static electricity. Next, a brilliant glow appeared on the windowless wall beside my bed.

Then I saw her. She came through the wall. All white and glowing, looking like an old fifties schoolmarm, her hair in a bun. The woman moved quickly, passing through the room and disappeared through the far wall, the static electricity sound following her. At the risk of sounding ridiculous, she looked like a “Scooby Doo” ghost.

I was terrified, and spent the rest of the night sitting on a couch in an adjacent living room, staring at the door to the porch room. When I told the guys, they were skeptical at first, until I described the woman. The cabin owner pulled out an old photograph book and showed me a picture of his long dead aunt.

It was an exact match for the woman that I had seen. She had been a schoolteacher, who wore her hair in a bun. Unbeknownst to me, she had owned the original cabin on the property. The front door to that cabin had been positioned exactly where the windowless wall to my room was.



Writing Prompt
Write a supernatural story set in a specific real building.
Word count--300-350. Black font only. Keep it G rated--suitable for children.

Ghosts, Spirits, or Both
Contest Winner

Recognized


This is a true story. I had two other incidents that I wrote about in The House On Galbraith Line and An Unexpected Guest. After those two incidents I was still on the fence, believing that possibly the living might leave imprints after they pass. After this incident, I became a true believer.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Douglas Goff All rights reserved.
Douglas Goff has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.