General Fiction posted November 1, 2022 Chapters:  ...25 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
flash fiction

A chapter in the book Random Rhyme and Petty Prose

Funeral Parlor

by Bill Schott


 
Gabe hated funeral parlors, but he needed to say goodbye to his mom. He was pushing the limit on his plane's departure time, but knew it was important to make this stop.

Having called for a cab, he rode to the funeral home and asked the driver to stop there and wait for five minutes.

Jogging to the entrance, then walking through the front door, he asked about her, and was directed to the viewing room to the left.

He entered the room and headed towards a casket where people were gathered.

"Goodbye, Mom. My plane leaves in an hour."

A woman from within a crowd stepped towards him.

"I'm glad you could find a minute to say bye, Sweetheart. Sorry I couldn't get away. We're short staffed today."

"Love you, Mom. See you in the summer."

After hugging, Gabe walked quickly to his waiting cab.

Soon he would be back at school, completing his mortuary science degree.

 
 


 



Recognized


Thanks to Renate-Bertodi for use of the artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Renate-Bertodi at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.