Humor Fiction posted November 1, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I am sure you'll agree with

My (humble) opinion . . .

by Wendy G


 
I can't give you my name – it's a secret!
 
I'm a dog (but cat-lovers - please keep reading!) I'm also a writer and poet, therefore a deep thinker. Like other good writers, I do some research when my human permits.
 
My opinion of cats?
 
I divided my research into categories.
 
Firstly, usefulness. You've probably admired assistance-dogs, guide-dogs, service-dogs, tracker-dogs,  sniffer-dogs, and farm-dogs, all very useful and community-minded! But no such work for cats – are they lazy? Unable or unwilling to work? Without purpose? I'll say no more!
 
Next: helpfulness. Cats bring tears to my human's eyes – she is allergic to them. That is a point against cats, in my estimation!
 
My research indicates that in the English language there are many more words containing "cat" than  "dog".
 
Cats should not feel superior, because many of these categories have negative connotations, like "catty" and "catatonic" and "catastrophe", and "cataracts".  Caterwauling and catfights are bad too. I won't catalogue them all as people may turn off if my writing become too acatdemic! I've created a new word for your reading pleasure!
 
Meanwhile, people also talk of "dogged" resistance, which to me indicates perseverance in the face of adversity. The only "dog" word I dislike is "doggerel" which I'm sure you are not thinking right now. It means "loosely-styled and irregular in measure, especially for burlesque or comic effect," and "marked by triviality or inferiority," and I hope that doesn't apply to MY writing! 
 
Research about cats' behaviour indicates that cats often think just sitting and staring is a sign of cleverness. Sometimes they think they 'win' if they outstare a dog.
 
Believe me – dogs can outstare cats if they so choose. They allow cats to win sometimes simply because they have something more interesting to do than play a 'staring' game!
 
I can outstare all our neighbourhood cats (if I choose to play)! There is one who hides under the car on her driveway. Doesn't she realise I can still see her, as my legs are quite short?
 
Research about personality: Cats don't have the same sense of protectiveness and loyalty as we dogs show. They prefer their qualities of independence and aloofness.
 
Our hearts are so filled with love that we can't stop showing our humans how much we love them. Is that weakness? There is nothing stronger or more powerful than our enthusiastic, exuberant love. So we may present as dependent, but for the best of reasons.
 
Yet, cats can be quite fun . . . to tease. I would never hurt a cat – that's not in my nature. But it is fun watching them run, so sometimes I will do a couple of running jumps in their direction, just to see their reaction. Generally quite predictable. Ah, it gives them a bit of exercise, and that's a good thing!
 
After my research, I came to the conclusion that pets resemble their owners in many ways – quite fascinating.
 
For example, on this site I've found a cat who writes poems - she's intelligent, has a catchy sense of humour (perhaps rare for cats), and is always busy with a variety of fun activities, just like her owner. I esteem her highly, because those are quite dog-like characteristics.  
 
Another cat likes writing stories about her frequent outings to very interesting places with her owner – and gets dressed up purrfectly to suit the occasion! She actually talks with a similar accent to her owner as well.
 
Mama won't dress me up – she says I am paw-some just the way I am. So that's that. Some dogs dress up, but I bet they are thinking "Dog-gone it! Here we go again! I'll have to act like a human!"
 
A third cat recently wrote a story in CAT language. Gobbledygook, but fun! His owner must be slightly crazy and his pet is a copy-cat!
 
A clever strategy, but the audience is restricted to cats! Others don't know if he spelled his words correctly or developed his story-line well.  Perhaps he should have just cat-napped instead of trying to impress.
 
There is a much-loved family of cats, all adopted by one caring, gracious lady, a real Mommy to all, so they try to be like her, and care for each other. That must be a good thing.
 
Cats therefore can have some admirable qualities, may (rarely) be promoted to almost equality with dogs, and should be treated respectfully . . . but, overall, they're inferior to us dogs, perhaps a little boring, and not very useful.
 
Just in my (humble) opinion!
 



Cats & Dogs contest entry


791 words
British and Australian spelling.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.