General Fiction posted October 28, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Blacky's story.

The Tripod Cat

by prettybluebirds

A Cat's Story Contest Winner 

Hi, my name is Blacky. I wasn't always like I am now. When the loud, mean human dumped my sister and me along the road, I still had four legs. Now I hop along on three, but I can't say I'm not a happy cat.
 
As I mentioned, my sister and I got tossed out of a car like empty beer cans. It was cold and raining that long-ago day, and our starved bodies provided little resistance to the weather. We cried for hours until hunger and exhaustion took their toll; then, we found a spot in a hollow tree and curled up to sleep.
 
Terror woke us in the morning. There was no way out except past a monster. A large dog had stuck her head into our hiding place, sniffing and snorting at our helpless bodies. We hissed and spat as we waited for the inevitable pain of death.
 
"What did you find, Pup? How often have I warned you not to stick your nose in strange places? Someday you're going to run across a skunk or a porcupine. Let's see what you found---oh, kittens. The poor little things," a female human said. She picked us up and tucked our trembling bodies under her jacket.
 
My sister and I weren't sure whether we were better off or not. Our previous experience with humans had been only fear and starvation. At least we had finally got warm, snuggled under the human's coat.
 
So, reader, you probably think of a happy ending to a sad beginning. Mostly, it was, except for my bout with cancer later, that cost me a rear leg. It took me a while to get used to hopping around, but I conquered it and don't think about it much now. I even learned to use the handicap to my advantage. I have the poor crippled cat routine down to a science and score extra treats and lap time with it. Life is good.
 
 


Writing Prompt
Write a story about a house cat. Word count 300-350. Black font only. Keep it G-rated--suitable for children.

A Cat's Story
Contest Winner

Recognized

#49
October
2022


I do have a black tripod cat named Blacky.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by cleo85 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.