General Fiction posted November 20, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The National President is interviewed.

Single Women of America

by Terry Broxson


On Tuesday morning, in Dallas, Betsy Hart, Hostess of the top-rated Good Morning Big D TV program, is on the air.
 
"I'm pleased to welcome into our KVEU studios today Miss Raquel Everman, the President of the National Association of Single Women of America. Miss Everman, thank you for coming in today."
 
"Thank you, Betsy, and call me Raquel. We're just two single women talking."
 
"Raquel, I must admit I'm very intrigued by your organization. Please explain its purpose to our audience."
 
"We started as an outgrowth of the Me Too movement. There is no argument Me Too is essential. The outrageous conduct of guys like Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Matt Lauer, and many others needed to be stopped. Men should be accountable for outrageous behavior. But not every man is a bad person, and that is what NASWA is all about." 
 
"As I understand it, you want to try and balance the scales for men who deserve it. Sort of like 'don't throw the baby out with the bath water.'"
 
"Exactly right, we are creating a national database of men and complaints logged about bad behavior. Please think of us as the Better Business Bureau for males. We're not a dating service or matchmaking service. We provide information to women about men and their history. If a woman meets a man, she should do a background check; that's what we offer."
 
"How do you create your database and get your information?"
 
"We're receiving a ten-million-dollar start-up grant from the Pullman Foundation. Our first step will be consolidating all fifty states' lists of sex offenders into a centralized format."
 
"That sounds like a good idea; I am surprised it has not been done."  
 
"We were too. Now any member can check if a guy is on this list anywhere in the country. Additionally, we will add divorces, bankruptcies, and criminal convictions to the databases. "
 
"How does your membership work?"
 
"It costs ten dollars to be a member for a year. A member can check our database as often as they like. Our members will also be able to file complaints about men they think have crossed acceptable lines. This data basis will be unique to our members."
 
"Do men have a chance to address any areas of concern?"
 
"Yes, we give a man the ability to respond to any matter that is filed with us. We want a level playing field for men and women. Additionally, a man can be an associate member for the same fee. He is considered a member in good standing if there are no unresolved issues. A guy can say to a woman, 'Check me out on the NASWA.'"  
 
"Raquel, this sounds great. I like the low membership fee; it should attract a large following."
 
"The membership cost is the result of the support from the Pullman Foundation."
 
"That is very generous of them. I wish you the best of luck with this important endeavor."
 
"Thank you, Betsy."
 
***
 
Six months later, Betsy is asked into the office of  Bruce Melgary, Executive Vice President of KVEU.
 
"Betsy, do you remember an interview you did a while back with Raquel Everman about the organization of single women?"
 
"Yes, what about it?"
 
"It seems Miss Everman scammed the Pullman Foundation out of ten million dollars. At the time of your interview, the foundation was considering but had not committed the money.
 
"Your interview was so well received it convinced Martin Pullman, creator of the foundation, to fund the project. Ms. Everman picked up the check, cashed it, and has not been seen since." 
 
"You're kidding?"
 
"Nope, we sent the State Attorney General a copy of the interview. Our lawyers have already watched it a few times. Our guys say we don't have any problem. It was a straightforward piece of work on your part. She scammed us as well."
 
"Bruce, I've never heard of anything like this."
 
"Oh, it's happened. Newspapers get lied to all the time; sometimes their reporters are the liars." 
 
"We're just a morning show full of lightweight stuff; this topic was a little heavier than usual, but who would have thought it was a scam?"
 
"Well, not Martin Pullman. The AG's office might want to talk to you, but it's not a big deal. We will set you up with our lawyers if they ask."
 
"Okay, boss, thanks."
 
***
 
"Good morning, dear lady. That special friend you were expecting is looking for you."
 
"Thanks for calling; how are you?"
 
"I'm peachy; take care."
 
"You too."
 
Betsy crushes the burner phone she has had for over six months. She tosses it into a trash bin behind some apartments where she does not live. Betsy gets in her car and thinks. Men are so gullible. I'll take a vacation to the Cayman Islands in a few months and visit my five million dollars.  
 
 
 
 



Recognized

#26
November
2022
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Linda Bickston at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.