Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 25, 2022 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Hank Meets Emmy

A chapter in the book Death By Murder

Death By Murder - Chap 2

by Begin Again




Background
A jewel heist, Boston's rival gang war, and unsolved murders. Enter Detective Hank Armato, cold case specialist, and his new partner, Emmy Lansbury. (The beginning)
 

The sleek black Porsche glided effortlessly along Memorial Drive, allowing Detective Hank Armato to admire Boston Harbor in all its glory. The morning sun glistened across the water, welcoming him to his new home. Having served as Detective in Gulf Shores, Alabama, for two years, been blindsided by a rough breakup with his on-and-off girlfriend, and in search of different scenery, Hank had eagerly accepted a transfer to "Beantown," the "City on the Hill." 

The handsome detective eased out from behind the steering wheel and stretched. He loved his newly acquired vehicle, a gift to himself, but it wasn't his dream car. Mercedes was topping the price scale at $40,000. His second choice, Porsche, remained a victim of the early 1990s economic recession. The sports car could easily reach the 0-to-60 milestone in 6 seconds, which stroked any virile male's ego, including Hank's. 

Grabbing his Burberry jacket from the car, Hank slipped the tailored coat over his broad, muscular shoulders and buttoned it. He felt first impressions were important, especially being the new guy in town. Hank had spoken on the phone with Chief Manley but never met him face to face. Glancing at his Rolex, a gift from his grandparents, he realized he'd arrived early for his meeting. 

"Can't appear too eager, my man. Just enough time to grab a cup of joe and scan the morning headlines." Nodding at the two patrol officers as they strolled toward their cruiser, Hank headed toward the small coffee shop on the corner. 

A young woman wearing a blue apron dusted with powdered sugar smiled at him. "Sorry. It's been a hectic morning, and my help is late." Her hands brushed the front of her apron, but her eyes never wandered from Hank's face. His charming appearance had caught her off-guard for a moment; recovering, she spoke, "What can I get you this glorious morning?" 

"It is a beautiful way to start one's day, isn't it?" Hank returned her smile. "I'll have a cup of black coffee, please, and one of those delicious-looking pastries. Did you make them?" 

"Yes, I did. Everything we have is freshly baked daily, including muffins, scones, and pastries." 

"Well, I'm on my way to a meeting, so I believe I'll restrain myself from indulging in any of the iced marvels, though they are calling my name, and settle for a warm croissant with some strawberry jam on the side." Hank took a newspaper from the rack. "Add this on my bill if you will, please." He handed her a twenty-dollar bill. 

She quickly filled his order, handed him his change, and with the brightest smile she could manage, she added, "Please stop back again when you have time to sample the pastries." 

Grinning, Hank nodded, retrieved his purchases, and looked for a place to sit. He decided on one of the outside café tables. The dark, steamy brew warmed his throat, followed by a croissant bite, leaving a touch of jam in the corner of his mouth. He wiped it away and unfolded the paper.  

"Well, Boston, let's see what's happening in my new hometown."  

The newspaper headlines read — "O'Hara Dies — Jewelry Heist remains unsolved." Beneath those words, the reporter generated a mystery question — "Did Frank O'Hara take the answer to his grave, or does someone else still know the secret whereabouts of the million-dollar diamond necklace?" 

Every nerve in Hank's body tingled. He felt a rush of excitement surge through him. "Welcome to Boston. It looks like I've arrived just in time. I love unsolved crimes; fortunately for me, the department has a big one." 

"I'm sorry. Did you say something to me?"  

Lightning struck Hank full force as he turned at the sound of a woman's voice. He felt himself drowning in the pools of sapphire looking at him. He was fascinated as her ruby-red lips glistened in the sunlight when she spoke. "My apologies. It appeared as if you were addressing someone. Since I am the only one within earshot, I thought you were talking to me. It sounded as if you thought someone was waiting for you. Are you lost?"  

"Lost? No ma'am. New to this beautiful city, but not lost." Hank regained his composure and grinned. "No, I am right where I'm meant to be. I can't imagine anything more perfect than sitting here smiling at a gorgeous woman like you." 

"Charming. It goes well with your good looks." Her smile sucked the air out of him. 

A young teenage boy exited the café and approached Hank and the woman. "Emmy, Sara asked me to bring you your usual. A double shot of espresso, no cream, no sugar, right?" 

"Thank you, Anthony. You are so kind. Tell Sara I said thanks, and I hope she won't be too hard on you for being late this morning." They both laughed, and Emmy returned her eyes to Hank. His raised eyebrow said he was shocked by her double espresso. "What? Don't you drink strong coffee?" 

"Yes, I love my coffee, but I prefer one cup at a time. I need to space my caffeine rush." He laughed. "Otherwise, I become unfocused, which isn't my style." 

"Well, I admit to not being a morning person, so I need an extra charge to start my day." She raised her eyebrow as she eyed his half-eaten croissant. "To save my figure, I steer clear of pastries and sweets." 

"Touché! Point well taken." Hank pointed at the empty chair. "Would you care to join me?" 

"That's kind of you, but I'm running late. Got an important meeting with my boss." She let her eyes feast on Hank before adding, "Maybe we will run into each other again when I have more time to spare." 

"I'll look forward to it." Hank felt a little foolish grinning so much, but at first look, she'd taken him places he hadn't been in a long time. He hated to see her walk away. 

"I really must go. Have a nice day, enjoying your coffee and croissant." Emmy tossed a wave in his direction and then hurried down the sidewalk. Hank's eyes remained connected to her rhythmic sway as she walked away. He wondered what other tunes her body danced to. 

 

Thirty minutes later, after reading and re-reading the newspaper article on the late Frank O'Hara and the missing jewelry, Hank tossed his trash in the bin and walked toward Police Headquarters. Boston's tall buildings didn't intimidate him, even though they were far different from Gulf Shores' sprawling community. Instead, he looked forward to the challenge of working with new people, especially if it meant he might have the opportunity to follow his passion and investigate an unsolved crime or two.  

As he strolled through the doors, a voice interrupted his musings.  

"Detective Armato?" A woman approached Hank with her hand extended. "My name is Kassandra. I'm the Chief's executive assistant. Thanks to Gulf Shores, I recognized you at once. Welcome to Boston." 

Hank shook her hand firmly. "I hope they didn't let you in on all my trade secrets." 

"Not to worry. It was all good. We are happy to have you join us. The Chief asked that I bring you to his office as soon as you arrived. So, if you follow me to the elevators, I'll take you up." 

The elevator doors creaked and closed behind Kassandra and Hank as they stepped onto the eighth floor of the Police Headquarters. She directed him into a massive reception area and then towards an open door as she announced their arrival. 

"Chief, Detective Armato is here." 

Chief Manley rose from his chair and circled his desk, his hand extended. "Welcome to our city, Detective. I've been anxiously awaiting your arrival, especially with current affairs. I'm not sure if you've seen this morning's headlines, but one of the old Irish bosses passed away, leaving me to wonder what comes next with the families." 

"I saw the paper, sir. It piqued my curiosity. As you probably know, my appetite feeds on cold cases. So I would be honored for an opportunity to work on the jewel heist case. But, of course, being the new guy on the block, I would understand if someone else already was working on the case." 

"I was hoping you would feel that way." Chief Manley stepped sideways and closed the open door, which until now blocked Hank from seeing that part of the room. "Hank Armato, I would like you to meet Detective Emmy Lansbury. She, too, loves to work cold cases. Hopefully, the two of you could put the jewel heist to rest as a team." 

Emmy's face flushed as she gasped, "You?" 

Hank's grin registered his thoughts. Happily, he'd died and gone to heaven. Not only would he get the chance to work on a famous case, but the gorgeous vision he'd been privileged to meet at the café would be his partner. "In the flesh, lovely lady." He chuckled before speaking to Chief Manley. "I shared a moment with Miss Lansbury at the coffee shop earlier today. She was getting charged for the day." 

"And he was eating a croissant and talking to himself." She liked how easily he bantered with her. "One can never be too careful with strangers." 

"I'm a harmless pussycat."  

"I'm afraid I have my doubts, Detective Armato." 

Chief Manley shook his head, liking the comradery already developing between his two detectives. "Will either of you have a problem working together?" 

Hank and Emmy responded in unison with a loud, affirmative, "No problem." 




Recognized


CHARACTERS:
Frank O'Hara - deceased crime boss
Elizabeth O'Hara - daughter of deceased parents -Frank and Bethany O'Hara
Cooper O'Hara - Respected surgeon and illegitimate son of Elizabeth O'Hara
Hank Armato - Detective, newly transferred to Boston, Mass
Emmy Lansbury - Detective, interested in cold cases
Sara and Anthony - Siblings, owner/operator of the cafe
Police Chief Manley - At the helm of Boston's Polic headquarters
Kassandra - the Chief's Assistant
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.