War and History Fiction posted October 18, 2022 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The enemy is here

A chapter in the book Rise from the Fall

Hold the line

by Rinshikai


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.



Background
Colton Arverni is an auxiliary soldier in service to the Empire. When an aspiring new commander jeopardizes the northern frontier, Colton's life is changed forever.

Colton

It takes great effort, but our group manages to get another cart in place. Now it will be harder to traverse this alley. Across the street, other groups create makeshift barricades creating a bottleneck on the main road.

We prepare to regroup, but the sound of chanting fills the air. It's far, and I can barely hear them, but it's there. Men rallying themselves into a frenzy. With our focus on the outer city wall, none of us are prepared.

An arrow flies into one of our men's eye, killing him instantly. Our enemies strike, crawling their way to us like rats through the sewers and alleyways.

Some of them go for the battlements, but Tristan and I cut them down, protecting the few men guarding the wall. Puzzled by their lack of action, I look across the field, and my blood runs cold.

Fires burn in the distance, and snake-like tendrils creep slowly over the trenches. On the main road, the head of the infernal beast inches closer, its flaming eyes screaming with blood lust. Our enemy is here.

"Tristan. Take Colton and Becka, and go warn the others." One of the men says. We both hesitate, "Go! We'll buy you as much time as we can." He threatens us with his weapon. "Go!" He knows staying here is a death sentence, but he shows no fear.

I look all around me and see a similar resolve in all of them. "Die well," is all I can say before Tristan pulls me away, taking a black banner with us. Signaling Becka to follow us, she leaps from roof to roof, providing us cover.

A horn roars beyond the wall, and panic races through the streets. Each alley we pass hides a possible foe. The glint of their spears and swords dancing just behind our defenses. We run back to the main square, barely making it over the scrap wall encircling our forces. Catching my breath, I hear the Captains yell orders to their men. On the rooftops, Becka and the others ready their bows.

What happened? Where are the others?" Iona asks.

"Enemy...wall...buying time." I manage to say, trying to catch my breath. "Told us...warn you."

A thunderous bang rings through the air, followed by the crunch of thick wood shattering. Battle cries echo in my ears, only to fade moments later. Then those chants ring through the air, sending a chill down my spine.

"Everyone! prepare for battle!" Iona yells. Weapons leave their sheathes, and shields form another wall of protection. At the center of the square, Iona positions herself with Hahaku's men. should they breach the wall, she stands ready to fight.

I take my position at one of the walls. Shield ready, I try to control my breathing, but my heart demands more air than I can give it. Something rumbles behind me, glancing at the pile. The wagon nearly topples from the force of the blow.

"Focus!" Hahaku yells while some of the men add more weight to the pile. "Assume positions." We lock shields staring down the street. Through the mist, silhouettes come into focus. A menacing figure towers over the others at the head of their forces.

Roaring like a beast, he sends a wave toward us. Many bear crude weapons half haphazardly forged, yet others are armed with legion swords. Their savage forms grow clearer, their war paint making them more monstrous than men.

"Loose!" Triana yells, and arrows and javelins rain from the sky, slaying many foes. But they are undeterred, trampling over their dead and dying without pity or remorse. Hitting the wall like a tidal wave. We manage to hold the line, but the enemy is countless in size.

One of them manages to jump over, throwing me to the ground with the full weight of his body, knocking my sword from my hand. I quickly stand, trying to deflect his attacks with my shield. Quick and clean, quick, and clean, I repeat Hahaku's words in my head, focusing on what's in front of me and nothing else. He hooks me with the back end of his axe, ripping my shield away.

I drew my second sword, slashing him across the throat. Warm blood splatters on my face, blinding me. Another attacker goes for me, but a sword pierces him under the arm. A hand pulls me to my feet.

Once my vision clears, I see my Aunt surveying the battle. "Colton, retreat and signal the others for help!" she yells. The gap I left is filled, but they have no end. The dead pile up, and our enemy uses them to climb our defenses.

"You need my help. I'm not going to abandon you here!"

"If we don't get reinforcements, we're all dead! Now go!" Like the men on the wall, that look of resolve is etched into her face.

I hug her, "Don't you dare die." I order Tristan to join me, and Becka signals to me that she's with us. I look back one last time before running into the alleys.

Crawling over a makeshift wall, Tristan and I search for a way to the roofs. The buildings are old and rundown, ready to fall and bury us. I turn a corner, and a maul nearly takes my head off. My attacker pulls his weapon from the wall and goes to strike at me. But it's a two-handed weapon, and these alleyways are narrow.

Tristan and I take him down together like wolves hunting a bear. With our foe taken care of, we continue the search. A drain leading to the roofs is our only way up. It's rusty, so we take turns. Tristan goes first, and the drain wails under his weight. As I climb, it starts to give way after I'm halfway.

"Colton, grab on." Tristan lowers his spear, and I grab it. Safe on the roof, I glance down at the battle. They're still holding; there's still a chance. I take the banner from Tristan, and we cross the roofs looking for the open spot to signal for aid.

On one of the larger roofs, I plant my feet and start to wave the banner, "Hey! Hey!" I yell, drawing the attention of the men on the wall. "Reinforcements! Reinforcements!" Alex joins the men on the wall raising his arm. A horn bellows, and I feel relieved. I look at Becka, and then a sharp pain fills my chest. With horrified expressions, Becka and Tristan yell my name as the banner slips through my fingers.

I'm falling, the world growing dark. A bolt lodged in my chest pushes me off the roof, and like a ragdoll, I tumble between the buildings landing with a thud.

Time loses all meaning until Becka's voice pulls me from the haze. "Colton! Colton, stay with me!" She begs, tears running down her cheeks. I try to reach for her, to show her I'm still here, but my arm barely moves. But she sees my attempt and smiles.

Behind her, Tristan guards us, "We can't stay here. Help me move him." Before he can touch me, something grabs their attention. Drawing their weapons, they engage enemies in close quarters. One lunges to kill me, but Tristan's spear sends a stream of blood out of his neck.

Panic fills every inch of my body. I'm powerless. I can't move, talk, or help my friends. Someone grabs me by the leg, dragging me away from the chaos. Before the fog hides them from me, I see Becka and Tristan still fighting to stay alive, desperately trying to save me.




Character List
Colton: Main POV character
Iona: Colton's Aunt
Becka: Northern POW
Tristan: Colton's childhood friend and Hahaku's son
Hahaku: Mercenary Captain and close family friend
Triana: Mercenary Captain and old friend of Iona
Alex: An old acquaintance of Colton and older brother to Melissa

I ask reviewers to provide a minimum of one thing they liked and disliked. If you see errors or something that should be fixed, please don't hesitate to point them out. I can't improve otherwise.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by nikman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rinshikai All rights reserved.
Rinshikai has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.