General Poetry posted October 15, 2022 Chapters: -3 -2 --1- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A new beginning evey day.

A chapter in the book Deconstructing the Greats

Morning Hope

by Heather Knight

That cursed alarm
rips through the fabric of my dreams.

I stretch, stand and wish
I could go back in time,
back to the peace of sleep.

I resent the interruption,
but then, I open the curtains,
see the sky, the people, the trees,
and realize one more day
is always a gift.

 



Recognized


First of all, I want to thank shelly kaye, for inspiring me to write this book of poems.

I also want to thank leynocka (I hope I got her handle right, I tend to misspell it) for suggesting a little change that will make a big difference: curtains instead of blinds.


I'd love to learn to write free verse and that's why I joined Masterclass. Now I'm watching Amanda Gorman's couse. She's wise beyond her years, lively, beautiful. She's had several books published... and she's still in her twenties.

In one of her classes, she explains how she reads and dissects a poem: you read it three times and then you underline everything you find interesting in the poem: metaphors, similes, personification...

I've decided to do that and then to add a final step. Write my own version of the poem. It's for you to decide if this is brave or simply literary murder.

The poem I've used for inspiration in this chapter is called New Every Morning by Susan Coolidge, the author of What Katie Did. You can read it below.

Every day is a fresh beginning,

Listen my soul to the glad refrain.

And, spite of old sorrows

And older sinning,

Troubles forecasted

And possible pain,

Take heart with the day and begin again.







Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.