General Fiction posted October 6, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A man changes once he knows the truth.

The End

by GeraldShuler

Marcelus stood at the top of the hill, surveying the valley below. The devastation left by the recent battle had an un-soldierlike effect as he slid his sword back in its sheath. They had won a great victory and now it was over. Except, Marcelus knew it wasn't over. More battles would come... more men would die. Why? So men in power could still force their will on those who would rather just go home? He looked at the torched and burning buildings dotted across the valley.

'What a waste.' he thought.

"You look like you're sorry we won!"

Marcelus recognized the voice of his friend, Julius, without even turning to see him. They had fought side by side and both could claim the honor of saving the other in battle. That would probably make them heroes when they got back. The thought actually made him sick.

"No," Marcelus said. "I'm not sorry we won. I'm sorry we fought." He knew the military mind of his friend would receive that statement as weakness, so he added "These people had no hope of winning. Why did we have to burn their homes after we had already killed their men?"

"We serve Ceaser." Julius saw no response in his friend's eyes. "We follow orders. That is what we do."

"Do you know the reason we were sent to this valley?" Marcelus put as much contempt as he could in his next words. "This was a community of Christians. Their crime was that they believe in a God of Peace. They would rather love us than kill us."

His knees went weak as he watched a young girl drag a body out of their flaming home. Brother? Father? He had no idea. Would this girl continue serving her God of Peace after this?

"I have a great favor to ask of you, Julius." Marcelus put his hand on the shoulder of his friend. "This life is over for me. My body lives but my spirit has died. Will you help me? They must believe I was killed in battle." He tried to interpret the blank look in Julius' eyes. "Is our friendship that strong?" he asked.

"If they discover the truth..."

"I know the risk, for you as well as me. I must do this."

"Then I will shed tears when they ask about my friend's death."

***

The woman and child had fear in their eyes as Marcelus approached the burning home. He held his arms high so they could see he meant no harm.

"I am so sorry I was a part of this. It should never have happened." He knew something more needed to be said. "I have heard about your God of love and peace. War is over for me. Is there a way I can learn of your God?"

The freshly grieving widow showed Marcelus more strength than he had seen in any soldier in any battle. She reached out her hand to Marcelus and smiled... she actually smiled.
"You are closer than you think to our God." She put her arm around her little girl. "Come, learn about Jesus."

Marcelus knew his old life was over. A new life had begun.



Religious War Story contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. GeraldShuler All rights reserved.
GeraldShuler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.