General Fiction posted October 3, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A caveman Ohmie and May story.

I Think I'm One-ing With You

by Wayne Fowler


"Ohmie?"

"Yes, May."

"Do you believe in love?" May was washing her family's blanketing hides in the river, getting ready for the cold, seasonal weather. She knew that Ohmie would have no luck fishing that near her with all her ruckus and disturbance. She also knew that Ohmie knew it, as well. May stole a few sideways glances at him without turning her head.

After a moment, Ohmie replied. "What's not to believe? I love my mom, my brothers and sisters, my dad. At least I think I do." He stole a sideways glance at May. He knew he would never catch any fish this near May's commotion. He also knew that she knew it.

May wasn't sure whether he only thought he believed in love, or only thought he loved his father. "Do you remember when we first met?" May asked.

"Sure do. You kept beaning me on the noggin whenever I walked past your family cave."

May smiled as she switched hides, cleaning one that she'd already finished. "You were a silly boy," May said with a light-heartedness to her charge. You walked a-half-a-mile out of your way."

Ohmie smiled to himself, pitching his hook a little nearer toward May. "Got in trouble half the time for getting' home so late, too."

May chuckled. "You remember when you saved me from Rocky?"

"How could I forget? I almost los... He almost... Yeah, I remember. He had a pretty good grip in your hair."

"Yeah, he did. It hurt, too."

"You weren't cryin', or nothin', though."

"Wasn't no time for cryin'. Cryin's for when you can't do nothin' at all about somethin' that's lost, or broken."

Ohmie didn't say that his heart was breaking in those moments. Instead, he simply repeated himself. "Well, Ol' Rocky had you good. 'Bout to drag you off to his cave."

"Well, you weren't gonna let anything like that happen, were you?"

Ohmie snapped off his response, "Nope," saving his thoughts for after. What he didn't say was that one of them would have died that day, himself, or Rocky, had he tried to intervene. And Rocky was nearly full grown. More than likely, Ohmie would have died; and Rocky would then eventually catch May, as determined as he would have been. Ohmie kept all that to himself.

"Yer ma told me how she met your dad," May said.

"Yeah? When was that?" Ohmie asked, noting that May was rewashing a clean hide.

"Oh, one day when I happened to be walking by your family cave." May blushed, knowing that Ohmie would know that she had no real business traipsing that direction.

May continued. "She said that she came upon him sittin' on a rock. He'd been there some time. She more, or less, spoon fed him until he came to his senses and got down off the rock."

"He does his thinking up there," Ohmie said. "It works. I've tried it myself."

"I know," May said, not elaborating.

"She said that was when your dad invented a ring and a wedding ceremony."

"Yep," Ohmie replied, wishing he had a ring in his pocket, if he had a pocket.

May skipped back to the incident with Rocky. "How come you told Rocky I came from a long line of biters? Did you know that I would bite Rocky?"

"Sure hoped it," Ohmie replied. What he didn't say was that he was prepared to use her biting him as a diversion, masking his clubbing of Rocky.

"Worked out all right," May said. "You even made friends with Rocky after that. He turns his head away from me whenever we're in the same holler."

"Okay by me," Ohmie said, a grimace in his furrowed brow. "I'm glad you cut off yer hair, though. Right glad." Ohmie's glance lingered a bit longer that time.

"You remember when your mom first started her school, teachin' kids their letters?" May asked.
Ohmie smiled. "And numbers, too," he added.

"Remember when Daisy tried to squeeze in between us? She's my best friend, but I'll tell you what..."

"You weren't havin' it that day. Yeah, I remember. Thought you were gonna knock her out, that fierce look in those beautiful hazel eyes."

May blushed. "You think I have hazel eyes?"

"I know it," Ohmie replied. "And chestnut hair, and gazelle..." Ohmie caught himself before comparing May's various body parts to beautiful animals.

"And what?" May asked teasingly.

"May?"

"Ohmie?"

The two were facing one another, each reaching to one another, each calling one another's name simultaneously.

"I think I'm one-ing with you, Ohmie."

"I've already one-ed with you, May."

They closed the intervening space. They would have to search for the hide that May dropped. Ohmie's bamboo pole, they would never find. Neither cared in that moment.

"It's like we're the same person, Ohmie." May spoke softly into Ohmie's neck. "You are the one."

"You and I are one, May." His arms were around her, pulling her even more closely, "You remember asking if I believed in love?" Ohmie asked.

"I do," May said, her lips in the warm spot beneath Ohmie's ear.

"I do," Ohmie repeated.

It was then that their lips met and they became one.

 



New Word for Falling in Love contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wayne Fowler All rights reserved.
Wayne Fowler has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.