Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 2, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sometimes you have to lose everything to find yourself.

A Redirection

by Tara Maxfield

100 Word Story Contest Winner 

Our income had become zero, which brought the creditors to feast. A friend let us stay on a farm he'd inherited without a house. It had a 24x20ft block building with a tin roof. No utilities and a snake eviction were the first challenges. A wood stove was borrowed for cooking, bathing, and warmth.

I loved my morning ritual building the fire to percolate coffee. The coal camp youths of my parents hid that old-timer strength deep within me. I buried my fears in that ground and sowed hope. The happiest, most fulfilling year of my life was on that farm.



Writing Prompt
Write a story of 100 words. Any subject accepted. Must be exactly 100 words.

100 Word Story
Contest Winner


A series of unfortunate events cost us my husband's business, and the fallout took my job as well. I'd never been in the position we found ourselves. But, we had to carry on and in doing so, received an unexpected gift. I knew peace for the first time and learned a great deal about myself on that farm. We did not go back to the life we had before. Instead, we spend less time chasing the dollar and more time on more worthy endeavors. I'd love to wake up just one more time to the rain on that metal roof. I miss it every day.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tara Maxfield All rights reserved.
Tara Maxfield has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.