Family Non-Fiction posted September 27, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
When Mom's away, Dad has to do it.

A Diapering I Did Go

by HarryT

Parenthood: An indelible memory Contest Winner 

Though Laura doesn’t really remember, when I relate the story to her, she concedes she could well have been guilty of her little tantrum. She teases me, saying, “What was a poor girl to do when she couldn't talk?” So here is our story. Of course, babies have only one way to express their unhappiness when they have a need. We as parents rarely know what they want us to know. On this Saturday afternoon, I was home alone with our baby girl. My wife was meeting at the library with her book club. I gave Laura a bottle, tucked her in her crib for her afternoon nap, and settled down to watch a football game. A half-hour later, shrieks emanated from her room. I sat straight up, then hurried to her bedroom. My baby’s face flushed a dark red. It was clear she was distressed.

As I walked toward her crib, a bottle came flying in my direction. I dodged the missile and watched it smash into the wall. It fell to the floor like a duck taken down by a hunter’s shotgun blast. I picked up my sobbing daughter. The poor girl was odoriferous and soaking wet. This situation was indeed a challenge for me. It was a time when only cloth diapers were available. I held my breath as best I could while vapors enveloped me. Grasping a giant safety pin, I pushed, and it opened, but I pricked my finger. Undaunted by my blood, I soldiered on, finally undoing both pins. I gently lifted Laura and zapped the soiled diaper from under her. Carefully, I carried the smelly thing to the toilet and dropped it in, leaving it for my wife and thus demonstrating I could diaper my child. Then I washed my baby girl clean, powdered her, and wrapped her in a clean diaper. She kicked her legs and smiled. As I placed her back in her crib. I glanced over to the corner where her teddy bear sat with, I swear, a sly smile on his furry face.



Writing Prompt
Describe a memory, a lesson taught or learned, or a moment shared that will stay with both parent and child forever.

Prose only. No minimum or maximun word count.

Parenthood: An indelible memory
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. HarryT All rights reserved.
HarryT has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.