General Non-Fiction posted September 26, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Lena Horne, Hank Aaron and others.

An Evening with Lena Horne

by Terry Broxson


In, 1980 I was the Executive Director of the American Heart Association in Dallas, Texas. I had served in that capacity for seven years. On September 20th, a remarkable milestone occurred in the Anatole Hotel's Grand Ballroom. The affair was called, Because We Care, An Evening with Lena Horne and Friends.
 
Lena Horne performed a dinner show for about nine hundred people. The proceeds from the concert benefited the American Heart Association. Nothing new for a charity to benefit from a concert. What was unique for the city of Dallas were the organizers of the event and who attended.
 
A few months before the occasion, two African American civic leaders, James Fewellen and James Lee, met with the officers of the American Heart Association and presented a proposal to conduct a unique experience that would benefit the AHA.
 
These two men had a few goals. In addition to raising money, they hoped to improve the message about heart disease. Heart disease was the number one cause of death in the US. The incidence rate was highest in the black population. 
 
Mr. Fewellen and Mr. Lee had one other goal in mind. They wanted to do something in Dallas that had never been done. They proposed the special night would be planned and implemented by African Americans. The invited audience would be white and black civic and social leaders in a formal black-tie dinner setting.
 
The message was heart disease concerned everyone. We came together, "Because We Care." 
 
Let me tell you a bit about their success.
 
The first thing the gentlemen did was recruit a working chairman. Greg Morris, best known for his starring role in the first "Mission Impossible" television series, agreed to take the unpaid position. Mr. Morris talked to Lena Horne. She accepted the invitation to perform.
 
Mr. Morris thought it would be fun if other celebrities were in attendance. So, he invited about a dozen or so of his friends, actors like Mike Connors, who was the star of the series Mannix. Several sports figures like Hank Aaron and Drew Pearson were also in the audience.
 
Greg Morris acted the role of Master of Ceremonies flawlessly. He introduced the celebrity guests who were seated throughout the audience. Suffice it to say the crowd was always turning their heads trying to spot the next famous face. During dinner, pictures were taken, and autographs were signed. 
 
The final organizing committee consisted of African American men and women who were business and political leaders. The committee solicited support from Xerox, Rockwell International, IBM, Dr. Pepper, Zale Corp., and many other companies and individuals.
 
The vision of uniting black and white city leaders in a common cause was achieved in almost identical numbers. Those attending included business, social, political, educational, spiritual, arts, and civic leaders. There were even ordinary people like Zoe and me. Everyone commented, "What an amazing evening."
 
On a personal note, Zoe was beautifully dressed in an evening gown. I looked like I had a bad-fitting rented tuxedo.  
 
And then Lena Horne was introduced.
 
Lena Horne began a career in show business in the 1930s; she became a star in the 40s and was blacklisted as a communist sympathizer in the 50s because of McCarthyism. She continued to perform successfully despite the label. She was a singer, actress, dancer, and civil rights activist icon.
 
Saturday night, September 20, 1980, at age sixty-three, this stunningly beautiful woman, both of appearance and voice, took the stage and enchanted a crowd. She performed for about an hour and a half. Simply stated, it was a captivating, intimate concert.
 
At one point, a fellow in the audience said loudly, "Miss Horne, please sing 'Stormy Weather,'" her most famous song. Lena Horne walked to the edge of the stage and wagged her finger at the man, "Don't you worry, that's the money song. I always sing the money song!" The crowd roared with laughter and applause. 
 
Lena Horne ended her performance with "Stormy Weather," followed by a prolonged standing ovation.  
 
A few days later, I had the opportunity to be with several women leaders of Dallas society. One lady said, "That dinner concert was the highlight of the year. My Charlie stayed awake the whole time and was enthralled. He never stays awake." 
 
A few months after performing in Dallas, Miss Horne opened on Broadway with a show entitled "Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music." Was the Dallas event a dress rehearsal? If so, how lucky were we? Her Broadway show ran for fourteen months and toured the US and abroad. It won a special Tony Award, and the soundtrack won two Grammy Awards.          
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



Recognized

#28
September
2022


The picture I am using is the front of the program from the dinner show. There is an image of Lena Horne. Zoe asked Hank Aaron to sign her program, and he graciously agreed.

Hank Aaron was a famous baseball player. Hammerin Hank as he was known, was considered one of the best to ever play the game and in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Drew Pearson is a famous Dallas Cowboys football player. He is in the Football hall of fame.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Terry Broxson All rights reserved.
Terry Broxson has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.