Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted September 18, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
High functioning autism makes me brilliant and cripples me.

My Name is Autism

by Tara Maxfield

Mired in a familiar hopeless hope;
See the solution, but not the question.



Two Line Poem writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a poem of any type. But there can only be two lines. Maximum syllables is 20.


I am high functioning autistic. In so many ways, it is the best of me. And, in so many ways it is the worst.
When I was a child there was no name for what I was other than "gifted." This didn't account for what I was robbed of and all things promoted as solutions for me neglected to explore the question of why I was like I am.
IQ tests, challenges, higher curriculum, college, career, advancement, success.
Peer disassociation, relationship wrecks, playing social roles (skilled liar training), loneliness, isolation, inability to relate, awkwardness, emotional detachment, stunted emotional development.
It gives and it takes.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Tara Maxfield All rights reserved.
Tara Maxfield has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.