Romance Fiction posted September 18, 2022 Chapters:  ...35 36 -37- 38... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alexandra's dad checks on Cordero.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 19 A

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 36 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Cordero glanced toward the spare bedroom. "Is it all right if I sleep on the couch?"

"Sure. But the bed would be more comfortable."

"I want to be close to the front door, just in case."

"You worried he might return?"

"I wouldn't put anything past him."

Alexandra nodded. "Thank you. I'll get blankets and pillows."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 19 A

As predawn lit the Saturday morning sky, Cordero grumbled, "Who's at the door? It's too early for visitors." He grabbed his gun and checked the door viewer before he opened it. "Brent, come in. What brings you here so early?"

Brent scanned the area. "Ali's not up yet?"

Cordero studied her closed door. "Not that I know of. I haven't heard any movement."

Glancing at the couch, Brent said, "You slept here? There's a perfectly good spare room."

After shutting the apartment door, Cordero set his gun on an end table. "We had a visitor last night. I wanted to be ready in case he returned."

"I'm glad you stayed. I'm sure it upset Ali. He left peacefully?" When Cordero grinned, Brent continued, "I won't ask. He's alive, right?" When Cordero nodded, Brent said, "I have a sunrise tee-time. Would you like to join George and me for a round of golf?"

Grinning Cordero said, "Thank you but I can honestly say I've never played golf in my life. I think I'll pass." He glanced toward the kitchen. "I need coffee. Would you like some?"

"No, I'd better get to the golf course. In case Ali didn't mention it, she keeps the coffee in the refrigerator. I have no clue why."

"Thanks. That's the last place I'd have looked," he said filling the coffee pot with water. Cordero's eyes met Brent's. "I have a feeling the real reason you're here is to make sure I didn't take advantage of your daughter."

Brent's eyes widened. "You get right to the point, don't you?"

"There's no confusion that way."

"I admire your directness."

After measuring the coffee, Cordero faced Brent. "I admit I have strong feelings for her. Because of those feelings and my respect for not only Ali, but Tonia and my mom, I'd never do anything to damage those relationships."

"Watching you two together last night, I'd bet my daughter has strong feelings for you."

"I can only hope. That being said, I understand she'll always be your little princess."

"Thank you."

Cordero glanced at the coffee pot and grabbed a cup. "It's close. Sure you don't want a cup?"

Studying the door, Brent said, "I guess I'd better get to the golf course." He exhaled before he turned toward Cordero. "While Ali was in high school, I made her a promise."

"To protect her purity of mind, body, and soul." Cordero poured coffee into his cup and took a sip. "I promise to assist you with that."

"I'm surprised she discussed her pledge with you."

"I told her any man worthy of her would honor that pledge."

"And you're hoping to be that man."

"It's my goal, but Ali's still healing from her previous relationship." Cordero chuckled. "One could say I'm in a holding pattern."

Brent held out his hand. "In case you're wondering, you have Tonia and my blessing. We'll need to wait for Ali's verdict."

Cordero accepted Brent's hand. "Thank you. I have a feeling we may be waiting a while."

"You could be right." Brent went to the door. "I need to get to the course. Remind Ali brunch is at ten o'clock at our house."

"I'm sure we'll be there."

*****
Over an hour later, Alexandra walked into the living room. "Is that coffee I smell?"

Cordero grinned. "Yes, but it's probably only warm. I'm sure you'll want a fresh pot."

"Warm? How early did you get up?"

"I had an early visitor." When her eyebrows rose, he answered, "Your dad. He asked if I wanted to play golf."

"Do you play?"

"I do not." He exhaled. "I think he used it as an excuse to see if we shared the same bed."

"No! I'm sorry." Alexandra lifted her phone.

Taking the phone from her hand, he said, "Don't do anything. We discussed it and came to an understanding."

"But I'm twenty-eight. I'm a full-grown woman."

"That you are and a very beautiful woman, but to your dad you're still his little girl and always will be. From his viewpoint, it's his job to protect you. That I understand."

"Because you feel the need to protect me."

Cordero brushed his finger along her cheek. "I do."

She hugged him. "Thank you."

*****
As Alexandra finished packing, Cordero walked to her. "I have a funny feeling about the necklace Mr. Aaronson gave you. I didn't like the way Griffin stared at it. Do you have a safe?"

"Not really."

"Do your parents?"

"A wall safe. Why?"

"I think unless you're planning on bringing it with you, you'd better put it in your parents' safe. Do you have any other expensive jewelry?"

"Some." Alexandra hesitated. "Do you believe he'd break into my apartment?"

"Nothing would surprise me when it comes to him. I think he feels entitled. I'm not telling you what to do. I'm making a suggestion."

Alexandra went into her bedroom but said over her shoulder. "I like your suggestion." When she returned, she carried a three-drawer hardwood armoire chest.

Cordero shook his head. "Did you bring the key?"

She held it up. "Of course. Why are you looking at me like that?"

"I expected a small jewelry box. Not one the size of Fort Knox."

"I think that's a huge exaggeration."

"Maybe slightly," teased Cordero. He glanced around the room. "We almost ready?"

"I think so." She picked up Lily. "I need to put her in her carrier."

*****
A few minutes after nine-thirty, Anthony finished loading their luggage. "Ms. Black, I need to check your itinerary. You're on your way to your parents', right?"

"Yes, and then we'll be going to the airport, maybe around one." She glanced at Cordero. "Is that all right? That'll get us home around five o'clock."

"Sounds good. I'll let Mom know when we leave your parents'."

Anthony held her door. "Sounds good." After Alexandra was seated, he closed the door and walked behind the car with Cordero. "On your left, we're being watched."

Nodding Cordero said, "I noticed, but thank you for having Ali's back."

"Always. I've grown fond of her through the years."

"I'm sure you've come to her aid on more than one occasion."

"The stories I could tell."

Cordero chuckled. "I'm sure."

*****
As they stood outside the Black family residence, Cordero's eyes widened. "Wow! You grew up here?"

"I did. When Grandma died five years ago, Grandpa moved in." She took his hand. "Let's get inside. You'll see it's just a normal house."

"When did you move to your apartment?"

"Almost a year ago." She exhaled. "Alan thought I was too old to live with my parents."

So he had more control of your life. Cordero opened the door for her, "I smell food," and set down the jewelry box on an entryway table.

"I should've fed you."

"The coffee held off starvation," he teased.

Alexandra shook her head. "Really?" She called, "Mom, Dad, Grandpa, we're here."

Tonia entered and hugged her daughter. "I'm glad you made it." She then hugged Cordero. "I hope you slept well."

Before he could answer Brent walked in, and Alexandra asked, "Dad, how was your sunrise golf game?"

With eyebrows raised, Tonia said, "Dear, what did you do?"

He winked at Cordero. "Nothing. I just invited Cord to play golf."

Alexandra's hands were on her hips. "Only Cord doesn't play golf."

Brent hugged Alexandra. "I'm sure Lily wants out of her cage." He unhooked the door and let the cat out. "Now you can run and play."

"Dad, don't think I didn't notice the subject change." She sighed and pointed to the jewelry box. "Can I put this in your safe? I probably shouldn't keep expensive jewelry lying around."

George nodded. "It's a good idea. I'll take care of it."

"Brent, we'll talk later about your golf game." Tonia pointed toward the kitchen. Brunch is almost ready. Let's head toward the dining room."

"I'll help." Alexandra followed her mom to the kitchen.

*****
As brunch ended, Tonia said, "Cord, it's a shame you're leaving today. You haven't had a chance to see any of the sights. Why don't you consider staying an extra day? Ali can show you around."

Shaking her head, Alexandra said, "Mom, you know Cord isn't fond of cities. He was a good sport putting up with last night's hype."

Tonia avoided her daughter's eyes. "Cord, what do you think? Would you like to see some sights and leave tomorrow?"

"Mom! Don't put him on the spot. Cord, I'm sorry."

He put his hand over Alexandra's. "It's okay. Tonia, what do you have in mind?"

"George and Brent have access to all sorts of things. Maybe this afternoon you can see the usual sights, The Statue of Liberty, The Empire State Building, then tonight a nice dinner, maybe a play, ballet, opera, or concert?"

He glanced at Ali. "I'd agree to everything except a ballet and opera. What do you suggest? I'll let you choose."

Alexandra stood. "Excuse me." She left the dining room.

George took a drink of orange juice. "I think my granddaughter's upset. She thinks you railroaded this young man, and she's correct."

Tonia stood. "She's upset. I'd better talk with her. I was thinking of you two having fun together and overstepped. I knew better."

Folding his napkin, Cordero stood. "Tonia, please sit. I'll talk with her. I don't know your house. Where do you think she went?"

Brent offered, "Probably the patio off the living room. It's one of her favorite places."

Cordero headed in that direction. "Makes sense, at our house she goes out the glass sliding door by the dining room."

Tonia smiled. "I've done that on a few occasions."

~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee because Evil Eddie would put all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents' Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop



Recognized


If you have a problem with font size, I'm very sorry. You can use control and a plus sign to increase the size.

Thank you google an image of a sunrise golf course. As I always do, I made changes as I posted. I hope I didn't make it worse. This post is a little longer, a little over 1600 words. Thank you for your kind reviews and support you give me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.