General Non-Fiction posted September 18, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Planted and watered with love

Growing a school

by Wendy G




A teaching position at a brand-new school?

I knew it was for me. I'd always wanted to help grow a school.

The school was a large family.  Older students looked after younger ones, everyone playing together during lunch break. All staff knew each student, and vice versa. 

We set the philosophy of care with a positive, calm learning environment, from the beginning. The principal’s aim? “Happy teachers – happy students." Students thrived. Our reputation grew in the community. Many troubled teens were enrolled, and yes, with commitment and hard work, outcomes were positive. We worked collaboratively to find a way to help them. 

All kinds of bonding and pastoral care activities were received with enthusiastic participation, and lifetime memories were made. 

The school grew from 110 students to more than 1400 - it was a sad day when I realised that I no longer knew the names of all the youngest kids.

Annual Year Seven Camp: moonlight walks to the headland, abseiling for the first time (in my fifties!), having to slow down on hikes when the teenagers couldn’t keep up ....

Junior classrooms in my spare time: learning French was the reward promised by their teacher for working well in other curriculum areas. Wonderful eager learners.

Just as I’d had a strong conviction that this was “my place”, I felt equally strongly when retirement called. My students begged me to stay, refusing to believe I was “old enough”. 

It’s always better to leave before people wish you would leave! 




Interview A FanStory Writer contest entry

Recognized


I spent many happy years at this school, and it was impossible to condense the many highlights.
My daughter is now teaching there. The school now has more than a hundred students just in Kindergarten year!

This was entered in error in the wrong contest. It was meant to be in the contest â??From beginning to endâ??. No idea what happened, but it was frustrating.
I have been without internet for a couple of days, so couldnâ??t explain.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Wendy G All rights reserved.
Wendy G has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.