General Fiction posted September 18, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Getting it Wrong (274 words)

The Enthusiastic Helper

by LisaMay


 
 
When Ray completed the First Aid course while still a teenager, he imagined his new knowledge would lead to all sorts of heroic life-saving situations. No longer would he be the open-mouthed bystander; he'd be able to step up and administer CPR, wrap bandages effectively, splint broken bones, and be the man of the hour. He'd make his critical father proud of him. He might even be on TV.

His opportunity soon came. One morning while driving his father's car up a street in the central city, Ray saw a gray-haired man lying face down on the sidewalk. Decisively, he pulled over, jumped out of the car and ran towards the casualty. Ray's mind worked fast. Had the man suffered a heart attack? Perhaps he'd tripped and been knocked out?

Ray knelt beside the man and quickly assessed the situation. There was no blood on the man's blue overalls. His legs were extended straight out behind him, but he seemed to have only one arm.

Strange, thought Ray. I'll roll him over and see the damage.

"What the hell...?" The man spluttered, sitting up. He was a municipality gas inspector and had been reaching down a maintenance hole, adjusting a knob.

Behind him, Ray heard the sickening smash of metal on metal as two cars collided on the street. Turning to see if his First Aid skills would be required, he gasped in horror to see his father's car had rolled backwards and crashed into an oncoming car containing a reporter and a photographer from the local TV station.

The next day, Ray's photo was on TV for all the wrong reasons.



A Good Turn Gone Wrong writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Please write a very short story based on trying to help someone, but it's not appreciated. Fun or serious. No poetry.

MAX words - 300
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.