General Fiction posted September 17, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Quick decisions needed.

Five Items

by Thesis


At 3:30 am, I woke up to the smell of acrid smoke filling my nostrils. Startled, my first thoughts were of my wife, our two children, and our dog Charlie. Then I realized that they were safe, having left last night to visit my wife’s mother.

I immediately switched into survival mode and knew I had to act fast. I could now see a glow in the doorway, knowing that the inside of the house was on fire, and I didn’t have much time.

I couldn’t salvage much, so I prioritized what was accessible. The first thing I saw was my wife’s jewelry box and picked it up. I retrieved my Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum from my night table and grabbed my laptop as I exited the bedroom.

Luckily, the stairs to the first floor were not on fire yet, so I ran down and headed to my office. The kitchen and living room were engulfed in flames and spreading across the ceiling.

I grabbed my car keys off my desk and ran to the garage, thankful my Range Rover was still safe. I jumped in, hit the garage door opener, and drove down the street, waiting for the Fire Department to arrive.




What would you take? contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by suzannethompson2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Thesis All rights reserved.
Thesis has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.