Biographical Non-Fiction posted September 16, 2022 Chapters:  ...125 126 -127- 128... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
My Life Story for the Contest

A chapter in the book One Thousand Cranes

Gypsy's Story

by Gypsy Blue Rose


I grew up in Spain. When I was little, picking wild flowers, walking in the rain, and having chocolate in my pockets made me happy.

Mama was a wonderful seamstress. She sewed many things, among them, all my aunties' flamenco dancer costumes and my first school uniform. I was scared of going to school. My catholic teachers were mean. When the students made our teachers mad, they told us stories about hell, and of a dark room beneath the stairs that was full of rats. If we misbehaved, they threatened to lock us in that room.

At ten-years-old my mother died, and I slept for a whole week. I dreamed of her at the airport headed to heaven. She didn't speak but I could hear her in my mind. She told me it was going to be okay, but it wasn't.

After 5 years, my Papa married a hateful woman. She hated me and my siblings. After a year she kicked my sister and me out of the house. I was 15-years-old. Luckily, I had aunts who had moved to the United States when married, who offered to take me in and allow me to live with them in America. Leaving my sister, brother, and friends in Spain was very hard. My sister didn't want to leave Spain and my brother was too young. I missed my dad too but I was very disappointed in him. He let my stepmother get rid of us so she could have him all to herself and he didn't move a finger to stop her.

Living in a new country was both terrifying and exciting. I learned to speak English very fast, and I went to school shortly after I arrived in the country.

At 17-years-old, I had my first daughter, followed by a son, and then a second daughter. They were, and still are, my treasure. I loved them very much and I raised them, practically, by myself.

My marriages were a big failure. Being bipolar made it difficult to have a long-term relationship. Eventually, I gave up and embraced a single life.

All through my life, I battled bipolar disease. It was hard on my children and on me. For many years I refused to take medication, and consequently, my life was either hell with deep depression, or feeling like I was on top of the world, doing all kinds of crazy things and feeling invincible.

After my last marriage, I lived alone for ten years. Life was very lonely and I tried to kill myself several times but by the grace of God, I'm still here to tell my story.

In 2019, I moved in with my youngest daughter, her husband, and their newborn baby, Atticus. My life changed for the better. I take care of him and he has given my life purpose.

Now, I take medication and have a doctor. My life is good.

If anyone reading this story suffers from a mental illness, or knows someone who does, I recommend taking medication to have a normal life. It's very important to seek help.

Remember you are not alone. There are people who love you and would miss you if you were gone. If you are depressed, hang in there, life gets better.



Share Your Story contest entry

Recognized


An honest summary of my life story.

"There is a crack in everything, that is how the light gets in." - Leonard Cohen


SUICIDE PREVENTION CRISIS LINE IS = 988
SUICIDE PREVENTION LIFELINE = 1-800=273-8255

** Prevalence of Any Mental Illness (AMI)
-In 2020, there were an estimated 52.9 million adults aged 18 or older in the United -States with AMI. This number represented 21.0% of all U.S. adults.
-The prevalence of AMI was higher among females (25.8%) than males (15.8%).
-Young adults aged 18-25 years had the highest prevalence of AMI (30.6%) compared to adults aged 26-49 years (25.3%) and aged 50 and older (14.5%).
for Mental Health Information and Resources click here

for Suicide Prevention information click here

Thank you for taking the time to read and review my story.

Gypsy

"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - Christopher Robin from Winnie the Pooh
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Gypsy Blue Rose All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Gypsy Blue Rose has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.