Romance Fiction posted September 11, 2022 Chapters:  ...34 35 -36- 37... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alan pays Alexandra a visit.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 18 C

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 35 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

The remainder of the trip was silent. As Anthony parked, Alexandra's eyes met Cordero's. "Do you really think Alan will try something? Why won't he believe it's over?"

"To be honest, I think he wants something more from your relationship than you. I'm not sure what that is or was."

TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 18 C

Inside Alexandra's apartment, Cordero glanced around. "This is very nice." He grinned. "Of course, I expected it to be."

Alexandra stood at the spare bedroom's door. "I think it has everything you'll need. There's a private bath with towels. If you need more, there are some in the closet."

Cordero set his bag inside, removed his jacket, tie, and holster before he placed them on a chair. "I'm sure I'll be fine."

Pointing toward the kitchen, she said, "The kitchen, but since I haven't been here for a while it's pretty bare. Please help yourself to whatever you find."

"Don't worry."

Both heads turned when the door handle rattled. A knock sounded, before a voice said, "Alexandra, I know you're in there. Open the door. We need to settle this."

Her hand covered her mouth and tears welled in her eyes. "It's him."

Untucking his shirt, Cordero retrieved his gun from the spare bedroom and slipped it into his waist band. He motioned for Alexandra to go toward the bedroom. After she was inside and the door shut, he opened the front door. "Why you here?"

Alan glared at Cordero. "The more important question is why you're in my fiancee's apartment? You're not welcome. Get out! Alexandra and I need to speak privately. Where is she?"

"I'm not going anywhere. Ali's made it clear she doesn't want to speak with you."

"We had a misunderstanding and haven't had the opportunity to talk. Once we do, she'll realize she misunderstood what she thinks she saw, and everything will be back to normal."

Alexandra opened the bedroom door. "After we talk, if you promise to stay out of my life, you can say what you want." Alan stepped toward her. "Don't come any closer. Say it from there."

Cordero grabbed his arm and forced him back to the door. "You can speak from here."

Alan stared at her. "Why you dressed like that?"

Alexandra glanced at her sweats and T-shirt. "This is the real me."

"We'll settle that later. What you think you saw wasn't what you actually saw?"

"You naked on top of a naked woman wasn't having sex?"

"We were having sex, but where you're confused is we weren't making love. So, it's okay. After we're married, we'll make love. It's different from having sex. Sex doesn't mean anything. It's an act. Men need a release. You weren't going to do it with me, so I found somebody who would. There's nothing wrong with it."

She closed her eyes and shook her head. "You're perverted." She released a deep breath. "You're not blaming me because you can't control yourself. You're nothing more than a dog. Nothing changes. Leave!"

Cordero opened the door. "The lady said get out!"

Alan glared at Cordero. "You can't tell me what to do. You're nobody."

Grabbing his arm, Cordero said, "I'm the nobody who's kicking you out." He shoved Alan out the door hard enough so he fell, slammed, and locked it.

Alan yelled, "You'll regret this!"

Alexandra rushed to Cordero. "He threatened you."

Cordero's eyes met Alexandra's. "I'm not worried." He hesitated. "Are you okay?"

She plopped on the couch. "I know I was raised with old fashioned values, but that made no sense."

Sitting beside her Cordero remained quiet.

After she grabbed a pillow, she hugged it. "Have you..." She hesitated.

"I don't want to have this conversation, but I know it's coming." Cordero exhaled. "Go ahead."

"No. It'd be uncomfortable for us both." Lily jumped on Alexandra's lap. "Cord, I'd like you to meet Lily."

He petted the cat. "You're a pretty little lady. That's for sure."

"I think she'd get along perfectly with Samson, don't you?"

He chuckled. "It depends how she feels about being slobbered on."

Tilting her head, Alexandra smiled. "I think the cuddling would outweigh the slobbering. She really likes snuggling against warm things."

"Samson's very good at that. It's one of his best qualities."

Cordero watched Alexandra stand, walk around the room, and then stare out a window. "Sit. It's going to bother you until you've talked it through." After she sat, he continued, "It's not your fault he had sex with another woman. Yes, there's a difference between making love and having sex." He grinned. "Yes, you look beautiful and comfortable." Pausing he asked, "Did I forget anything?"

Alexandra shook her head. "Having sex and making love is the same act, right?"

"The goal of sex is to have an orgasm. Making love is the emotional connection with another person, while engaging with them physically. With making love you're more concerned about your partner's pleasure, than your own."

Closing her eyes, she swallowed. "Have you made love?"

He took her hand and caressed it. "I have not. I hope to someday." He paused. "When I was in a relationship, I only had sex with that person, not multiple partners."

"Thank you." Alexandra held Lilly at eye level. "Is there something wrong with me?" Tears welled in her eyes. "I'm probably the only twenty-eight-year-old in the world who hasn't had sex."

Attempting to hide his grin, Cordero said, "There's nothing wrong with you. I'm sure Tonia and you had a talk; probably back in high school and again when you entered college."

She set Lilly aside. "We did, actually many discussions. Dad and I made a purity pledge while I was in high school. I promised to remain sexually abstinent until marriage. Dad vowed to protect my purity of mind, body, and soul." She fingered her pearl ring, took it off, and handed it to Cordero. "The inscription says, 'true love waits.' Dad gave it to me as a reminder."

"It's beautiful. Did Joseph make it?"

She smiled. "He did."

"I'm positive true love does wait for you. I'm also sure that man will be honored you waited for him. Any man worthy of you wouldn't allow you to break that vow. He'd assist your dad in protecting you." He took her hand and placed the ring on her finger.

Alexandra leaned over and hugged him. "I know you didn't want this conversation but thank you."

"It was easier than I expected." He yawned.

"I'm sorry. I've been a horrible host. I know you were up late last night."

Cordero glanced toward the spare bedroom. "Is it all right if I sleep on the couch?"

"Sure. But the bed would be more comfortable."

"I want to be close to the front door, just in case."

"You worried he might return?"

"I wouldn't put anything past him."

Alexandra nodded. "Thank you. I'll get blankets and pillows."


~~~~~
I intentionally left off the accents on fiance and fiancee because Evil Eddie would put all sorts of strange characters in my post. Thank you for understanding.
~~~~~~

~~~~
Hola is Spanish for hello

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge uses them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and best friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

George Black Alexandra's grandpa

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding: A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew

Alan Griffin Alexandra's ex-fiance

Joseph and Ruth Aaronson One of the first clients, family friends, owner of a prestige jewelry shop




Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized

#7
September
2022


If you have a problem with font size, I'm sorry. You can use control and a plus sign to increase the size.

Thank you google an image of a ring maybe like the promise ring Brent gave Ali. Friday as I edited this post, I made quite a few changes and then yesterday I did too. I also made changes as I posted. I hope I didn't make it worse. Thank you for your kind reviews and support you give me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.