Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted September 11, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Life is not always fair

Sanitized Society

by LateBloomer


Dedicated to children who never had a fighting chance
Have we become a sanitized society? Are you one of the many people who cringe when you hear or read an unsavory story about people who are homeless, jobless, suffering from addiction, mental illness, etc. Do you close your eyes and ears?
 
As a society, have we lost our capacity to feel empathy for those less fortunate? Many of them were born into a hard-knock life. Has our life become so sanitized that we simply choose to ignore people who are living an unsightly lifestyle, people who have lost everything, or never had anything at all?
 
These unfortunate people were once children who were never asked to be born. Many of them were born into a life of alcohol, drugs, violence, depravity, and poverty. They grew up with no sound direction and no-one to show them the way, a better way. They basically raised themselves. Their education and life skills were learned on mean streets. They come in all shades and colors. If just reading or hearing about their horrific lives shuts down our minds, what does that say about us as a society, as a person?

To do something or nothing is your choice, but if you do nothing, who will help these lost people who wear deep scars from their brow-beaten pasts? Who will help them become productive adults who can live a simple life with hope for the future, with hope to love and be loved in return? Isn't that something that we all want?

The choice is ours to make. If we close our eyes to the less fortunate, how will change ever happen? How will we ever begin to understand their lives, and how did we get to this uncaring point in life?
 
If society does not give a helping hand to someone who is in a downward spiral, who will? Change happens when a helping hand is given--not a hand-out--but an opportunity to step up to a new and better life, a life filled with hope before it's too late.

So once again, I ask. Have we become a sanitized society?

 
 



Recognized

#18
September
2022


Children are our foundation for the future. Many adult problems begin in childhood. If we can help/save/lift the children out of their problematic world, perhaps our future will be brighter and our foundation firmer. Perhaps, separating children from their in-ept parent(s) is kinder in the long-run. I don't know what the answer is and children should be with their parents, but something has got to give--Education and skills are key. I say this from my heart, not to be mean or judgmental, but to question a better way.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LateBloomer All rights reserved.
LateBloomer has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.