Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted September 7, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
This is about recognizing the branch of service so often for

The Forgotten Branch of Military

by Richard Frohm

When people think of the nation’s military, they think of the Army, Air Force , Navy, and Marines. Most do not realize the United States Coast Guard is a branch of our military. I understand there is a big difference when you live in Montana or North Dakota versus Michigan or Florida when it comes to the branches of our military.

I would never rank one branch of service over the other. Each one is important in its own way. What I will say it is time people realize the importance of the United States Coast Guard to this nation. Every day, the men and women patrol the waters of our country. They protect our coastal borders, ensuring our safety by stopping those individuals that want to bring harm to the citizens of our country. Whether by illegal drugs, weapons, or terrorists. Theirs is a very dangerous job. Let us not forget the rescues they are called upon to make from the Atlantic, Pacific, and the frigid waters of the Bering Sea to the Great Lakes. Think of the courage they must have to drop by a cable from a hovering helicopter with snow blowing in the choppy waters of the Bering Sea onto the icy deck of a ship to lend aide to an injured crew member. Then take that person back up by the same cable to the helicopter. Think of an emergency and I will bet they have handled it. They risk their lives every day they wear that uniform. I am sure if you were to ask them why they do the perilous job they have, their answer would be a modest one, “Because it is my job.”

I was fortunate to have three family members serve proudly in the coast guard. Let me say this: if they represent the women and men of our Coast Guard, then we are in excellent hands.

Now, if someone ever asks you to name the five branches of the United States military, you will not forget the United States Coast Guard.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Richard Frohm All rights reserved.
Richard Frohm has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.