General Fiction posted September 5, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The story of a formidable man

The Black Dog

by Heather Knight


Jenny sat in the palace gardens watching her tiny son and his bulldog. Flimsy rays of sun shone on Blenheim.

'Be careful, Win. Milo's stronger than you.'

The child smiled at his mum, and kept on playing.

We live in a beautiful place. Life's good. Why can't I be happy?

A nagging worry ate her up. She saw a black dog in Win's future.

As an adult, Winston met the dog. It was grim, ghastly, but it never managed to defeat him.



80 Word Flash Fiction contest entry

Recognized


There are few people who have never heard of the formidable Winston Churchill.
What some of you might not know is that:
- he was the son of a British aristocrat who had a wonderful palace in Oxfordshire: Blenheim Palace. I have been there several times and it is spectacular: yellow stone building, park and gardens, beautiful lake...
- his mother was the daughter of a prosperous American businessman
- he was a painter
- he won the Nobel Prize for Literature
- he was bipolar and described his depressive phases as a black dog.

- Some useful info suggested by another FS member:

SAMHSA is a free, confidential, 24/7, 365-day-a-year treatment referral and information service for individuals and families facing mental and/or substance use disorders.
1-800-662-4357
=============================

National Alliance of Mental Health
https://nami.org/help
The NAMI HelpLine 1-800-950-6264(6264) or email us at helpline@nami.org

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.