General Fiction posted September 1, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Maybe it's not as bad as you imagine!

Armageddon

by Rachelle Allen

Sunday, Monday, Doomsday... Contest Winner 

I always said, "The day my mother-in-law is nice to me, that will be the harbinger of Armageddon." Today is that day.

With the same saccharine-sweet tone she exudes during phone calls (may I add, daily phone calls) to her son, my husband of twenty-five years, she actually called ME to extend an invitation for a shopping spree and lunch!

I clarified my identity immediately after my initial shock. "Elise, you know you've called Sarah."

"Why, of course I do, Darling!" She oozed like honey from a glass straw.

I had a full day's worth of doctoral theses to evaluate, but I was too curious to turn down this opportunity. Besides, I wasn't about to live the last day of our planet's existence on something as pedestrian as grading papers.

Her limo arrived at 9:45 to transport us to the shopping district. Upon our arrival, Lamar, the chauffeur, opened my door, and, as I bent to exit, I was eye to eye with an oddly familiar-looking vagrant. His hand-written sign read: THE WORLD WILL END TODAY!

Gooseflesh bubbled up my arms.

I took a moment to study his face, washing it clean, clipping his hair, and returning his four front teeth. And there stood my post-grad fiance', the former financial wunderkind, who'd left me at the altar for Beebee Baboom, the stripper from his previous night's bachelor party.

I watched him take in Lamar, the limo and my diamond-draped mother-in-law as she linked arms with me and walked us into Le Shoppe Extraordinaire.

Once inside, I beheld a dazzling array of evening gowns and designer pumps, with their infinitesimal variety of colors and beading and plumage. I was nine again and living all my Barbie fantasies.

"Anything your heart desires today, Darling," said Elise, cupping my chin, adoringly, in her hand. Yep; this time I could hear the Detonator of Doom clicking down. Tick, tick, tick.

I quickly removed the red diamond-encrusted one-shoulder number from its display hook, snagged up a pair of matching equally glittery Louboutins in my size and headed toward the dressing room.

"Sarah, Darling!" my mother-in-law called after me. "I'm going to be at the cosmetics counter. I love the way that clerk over there has done her make-up, and I'm going to demand she do mine the exact same way."

I turned to follow Elise's extended finger and beheld a woman the size of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, replete with Ronald McDonald make-up job, smiling back. Her name tag read "Beebee B."

I took a moment to close my eyes and savor it all. Tick, tick, tick. Then I dashed to the fitting room while, just for good measure, sending texts of love and adoration to my husband, kids, parents and best friend.

Within a moment of having zipped up my gown and stepped into my shoes, I heard the hiss of sparks, the crackle of flames and the immediate onslaught of fiery reverberations erupting from below.

Tick, tick, ti-


Writing Prompt
Write a flash fiction story up to 700 words that involves a doomsday scenario. Anything goes, but the end of the world, or its perception, must be a driving force in your story.

Sunday, Monday, Doomsday...
Contest Winner
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Rachelle Allen All rights reserved.
Rachelle Allen has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.