Writing Fiction posted August 29, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A case of deja vu

Suzy's Twin

by BermyBye50


 

She appeared unexpectedly. She was a stray, lost and alone, searching for a home. She had an orange coat and beautiful golden eyes. An absolute cutie with a white accented chest and white-tipped paws, with whom we became instantly smitten. Little did we know that she was a mom looking for a warm place to birth her litter of kittens.

She was our first cat, and second pet. Jinx was the first. We quickly adopted her and named her Suzy. Then we made a space for her in the kitchen pantry. It was a secure place we believed our dog Jinx could not gain entry, till the day after she birthed three cute little kittens. We named them Muffy, Fluffy, and Tuffy. Each kitten was cute as a button, soft and cuddly like warm woolen mittens.

Then came the fateful day we had all feared when the pantry door was left slightly open. At that moment, Jinx heard their cries and promptly investigated, finding the place where the kittens were located. But before anyone could close the pantry door, he'd picked up Tuffy. He then released the kitten and went on his way. Subsequently, all three kittens safely grew into adulthood and together with Suzy lived with us for many years. 

Ten years later, on a rainy stormy evening, outside the apartment where I lived, I received a surprise visitor. A second bright orange Tabby appeared, also searching for a home. I suspected he was lost and hungry, so I gave him some milk and a bit of tuna. After he finished the meal he curled up under the bed and fell fast asleep. He had no collar or identifying tag. But he had a familiar look, curiously resembling Suzy. Hence, I decided to keep him.

The next day upon returning home, I noted a familiar distinct sound emanating from my bedroom. It came from under the bed. I was utterly surprised to learn the 'He' I thought was my new companion was instead a 'She.' She had given birth to a litter of six kittens. It brought back fond memories of Suzy and her three precious gifts.

Fifty years later, I decided to adopt a new kitten from the local Humane Society of Charlotte Animal Resource Center. I was surprised to find a kitten listed on their website that could pass for Suzie's identical twin. Once again, it was love at first sight. I called the shelter and inquired if the kitten I saw online was still available. The answer was 'Yes.'

A few days later I visited the shelter to adopt the little cutie that had stolen my heart and learned she was 4 months old, was spayed, and had had all her shots. I did not like her assigned name of Stoli. After a quick search online, I found the name Suri which in the Hebrew language means "princess, lady-like". Soon after Suzy's identical twin Suri became a new companion and friend for life.




A Pet I Will Never Forget writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a TRUE story about YOUR pet (only 1). Word count--450-500. Black font only. Keep it G-rated--suitable for children.


Photo - Suzy is on left, Suri is on right
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BermyBye50 All rights reserved.
BermyBye50 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.