Supernatural Fiction posted August 19, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Is there a special where all of the unwanted children go?

The Voice Beyond

by papa55mike

It's a warm Saturday with the sun slowly rising through the trees behind our house. Early fall can bring some magical mornings. The leaves hint at their coming glory, and the sunrises always seem slightly brighter.
 
My wife, Toni, and I are drinking coffee on the back deck, and I'm checking Friday's football scores while watching the steam rising from my cup. Toni puts her book down and slowly turns towards the woods. A funny look comes over her face like she's trying to hear something far away.
 
"What is it, sweetie?"
 
She pulls her blonde hair away from her left ear and says, "It's someone singing a hymn, I think."
 
I lean my ear in that direction. "I don't hear a thing."
 
"Really," she leans in that direction. "I'd swear it's a little girl's voice singing The Old Rugged Cross, but I can't make out all the words."
 
"Are you sure it's not the wind through the trees?"
 
"Not with that lovely voice, Ray. Isn't there an old church or something deep in these woods behind the house?"
 
"Yeah, it's part of the Taylor Plantation that closed over a hundred years ago, and their property runs right to ours. If it's still standing, I think there's a church and a small school less than a mile in the woods."
 
Toni leans forward, struggling to hear that angelic voice, and says, "It's slowly fading away, but it seems so inviting, sweetie."
 
"Inviting, do you mean it's calling to you?"
 
"Yes," Toni's face fills with revelation. "That's what it's doing, inviting us. But to where? Can it be that school or church?"
 
"Who knows, but there's a way to find out. I don't think those pink satin pajamas, robe, and slippers will cut in the woods."
 
"You know me," Toni smiles. "I can be ready to go to the moon in twenty minutes."
 
Ten minutes later, we're both standing on the deck. Toni's ponytail is threaded through her orange Tennessee cap. She has on a red flannel shirt, a pink tee shirt, and the curviest pair of jeans she could find.
 
"You look good for a woman in her fifties," a smile drifts across my face.
 
"Thank you," she smiles radiantly. "I see you finally wore those jeans I bought you."
 
"It seemed like the perfect time. Are you about ready?"
 
"Just one more sip of coffee, ah. Now I am."
 
Quietly, we walk across the yard and take the faded path into the woods.
 
After thirty minutes of fighting briars and low-hanging branches, we find a small pond that's mostly filled in. Once we walk around the pond, the temperature changes from cool and musty to fresh and clear - a brightness appears at the edge of the woods that wasn't there before.
 
We look into each other's eyes, and Ray says, "I think we're here."
 
Two steps later, the angelic voice returns to serenade both of us this time.
 
Toni asks, "Do you hear the children playing, Ray?"
 
"It sounds like there are hundreds of them. What are they doing here?"
 
"Who knows, but that voice is so beautiful. I have to meet the owner."
 
They push through the last brambles, then step into a clearing. Toni entwines her fingers in his. "Do you see this, Ray?"
 
With a gentle squeeze of her hand, Ray answers, "Yes, sweetie, I do."
 
"That's great," Toni answers with a quiver in her voice while wiping tears from her big blue eyes.
 
A heavenly landscape of grass-covered hills and meadows fills the horizon. The sky is a perfect Azure blue, and children are playing everywhere. There's no way to count them all.
 
Our eyes are drawn to the back of the whitewashed schoolhouse and the little girl sitting there. She is a vision of loveliness with dark brown skin, big brown eyes, and a dazzling smile. She wears a blue dress with embroidered white lace around the neck and hem, with her curly hair pulled up into two buns, and those patent leather shoes and lacy white socks are darling. She slowly walks toward us and says, "Howdy, folks."
 
The child has enchanted Toni, and she asks, "What's your name, sweetie?" As she moves closer, Toni kneels on the wet grass.
 
"My name is Maybelle, ma'am. I believe your name is Toni." Maybelle puts her left hand on Toni's shoulder. "You're right, pretty, ma'am."
 
"And you are beautiful, Maybelle. Where are we, sweetie?"
 
"Oh, the Teacher said, this is where children go when nobody wants them. Many of the children don't have names because they were never born. Me, I remember the Teacher taking my hand and leading me here. He said what happened didn't matter anymore, so I forgot."
 
Ray asks, "What is your teacher's name, darling?"
 
"He never said, but I know there ain't a kinder man."
 
Toni gently rubs her cheek and asks, "Did you call us here, Maybelle?"
 
"Oh, I love to sing. Not many people hear my voice, though. The Teacher said only people with a heart full of love can hear me. I know your heart is full of love, Miss Toni; I see it in your eyes."
 
Toni bites her lip to hold back the tears. "I wish I had a daughter just like you, Maybelle."
 
"I'd be proud to call you mama. Well, I must leave you now and check on my little ones, ma'am. All of us try to help the younger ones. Will you come back if you hear me singing?"
 
She embraces Maybelle and says, "Gladly, sweetie." Toni kisses her forehead and cheek. "I will never forget you, Maybelle."
 
"Nor, I, you." Maybelle's hand slowly slips from Toni's, and she shyly eases around the school.
 
We walk home in silence.
 
Back on the deck with fresh coffee steaming in our hands, Toni asks, "Ray, was it real?"
 
"Your jeans are still wet, aren't they?"
 
"Yeah, there was a heavy dew."



Story of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Please find The Voice Returns, the second chapter of this story. I'll release today.

What happens to the children taken by abortion, violence, or whatever evil things happen to them? I like to think there is a place where they can play with total freedom from the hatred and pain that put them there.

Many thanks for stopping by to read!
Have a great day, and God bless.
mike
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. papa55mike All rights reserved.
papa55mike has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.