General Fiction posted August 13, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A contest entry

God

by aryr


The wind whipped madly. The rain fell in torrents. It was truly a nightmare. I stood holding for dear life onto the railing as each wave definitely caught my attention. The ship rocked on the waves.

I couldn't fathom the terror as I watched the storm nor the terror of others on the ship.
We were all doomed. We were all to die beneath the waves in the frothy sea. I called out to God as I prayed for our safety or at least that our death would be instant.

It was as I prayed, that I woke up, I gripped the sheets as if I were holding onto the railing.
Tonight, the dream was over. I could sleep peacefully.

The nightmares started about six months ago and stopped at the exact same time each night. At least after the first two weeks, I realized that this was indeed a reoccurring nightmare. I just had to get to that point of praying. Perhaps it was a sign of my pending trip. Perhaps it was a sign that I should change my ways.

Peace came to me as I drifted off to sleep. Nothing other than the nightmare could interrupt my sleep.

I dreamed of silly stuff, actually ridiculous stuff. My dreams beyond the nightmare were silly. One time, I dreamed I was on Pegasus, you know the flying horse with wings and such. I soared above the clouds and dipped into them. I was free.

A different dream experience was with food, several times. All sorts of crazy ideas although some were sensible. One of my delightful dishes was Hawaiian Pasta. This was made with cooked elbow pasta, mayonnaise, finely diced celery and onion, shredded carrots, apple cider vinegar and a little milk. It was delicious hot or cold.

One of my crazy creations was with peanut butter on one slice, enough to make it a worthy PB sandwich, then mayonnaise on the other slice, with purple onion sprinkled with salt and pepper. I absolutely woke up with a craving for this sandwich. I had never had it before, but it was truly delicious.

Well enough about my silly ideas. Onto my other dreams which were rather enjoyable.
I had a reoccurring dream where I just seemed to float, anywhere and everywhere, it didn't seem to matter. I would float up to the clouds and drift all over. A few times, I managed to go to space, that was interesting. Among the stars and planets but afraid of nothing. This indeed was my preferred dream. It was so enjoyable and definitely nothing to be frightened about.

I also floated under the water. There was no fear of breathing while in the water. I just rambled around the different oceans, seas and rivers. I was amazed by the beauty of the various corals. The fish were absolutely gorgeous, all colors of the rainbow and then some. Some were very large while others were extremely tiny. The whales and a special species of sharks were humongous. The tiny fish were of a wide range of colors. It seemed that the larger they were, they were rather bland to see.

Of course, I was fascinated with the octopuses. The tentacles reached everywhere. Tiny or large suction cups attached to all things. I was lucky that I didn't have to worry because I was in a dream state. Oh, I forgot to mention that they were also very colorful. I loved it when their suction cups passed through me, it gave a little tingle.

It was amazing that the nightmares which involved water were so frightening yet floating along among the fishes was as normal as the day I was born, even in my dreamland. Perhaps it had something to do with the amniotic sac that surrounded me. For some reason the water usually gave me a calming nature. I loved the water but not the nightmare.

The only time, I was truly dreamless was just before dawn. Silly me. I have never thought about that before, just now. It was a peaceful, calming time, it seemed to start the day perfectly.

The nightmare started when I closed my eyes. Then the silliness overtook me, I never knew where my dreams would take me, only that they would take me somewhere. Then from dawn I would remain dreamless.

The other thing that really bothered me was when I became a vampire. A darn cute female vamp and I was in a flapper outfit. Dressed to the nines, I had a headband with a giant feather, nylons that actually had a seam, shoes that were comfortable heeled and matched my dress. The dress was so delightful, it was sleeveless. Black as midnight and covered with sequins.

Why I was a vampire I had no idea?

Dancing my heart away was awesome, invigorating and very special! Did I drink blood, only when I had to?

The opportunity to drink came up from time to time. Mostly it was the regular people who proclaimed the desire. They were so into it that there were no words to describe it. You could always tell the ones. They would offer their neck from the get-go. It was like they should, you know offer themselves.

Back to my nightmare...it was indeed a sign to change my ways. It was actually a blessing in disguise because I found my true path. I found Christ and through Him I found God. Praise be to them both!!! I found me!!!



Fantasy Writing Contest contest entry


The Stairway by Cindy Sue Truman, thank you so much for allowing this.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Cindy Sue Truman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.