Fantasy Fiction posted August 8, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Revised Sweet Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

Angel Wings/Pt. 2

by scongrove


A week later, the sadness that loomed over Jace and Jem had started to ease as each day passed. Still, they missed their mother but knowing their uncle had finally regained consciousness gave them some degree of hope. And today, the two physicians, Sarah and John Chamberlain, were taking them to the hospital to see him for the first time since he’d lapsed into a coma.

Despite the dangers lurking in the shadows, Officer Terry O’Brien and his partner Sam Dixon gave the boys a sense of security. They'd also promised to apprehend the person responsible for their mother’s death and bring them to justice. And behind locked gates, secluded in the Chamberlain’s estate, Jem and Jace felt safe.

As they arrived at the hospital, John and Sarah ushered the boys into a private room and motioned toward their uncle, who was being monitored by a nurse at his bedside.

Slowly, Jackson turned in their direction, his eyes instantly going warm as he registered his nephew’s presence. “There you are,” he said hoarsely, then lifted a hand and gestured them over. “Come give your Uncle Jacks a big hug.”

When the nurse discreetly stepped out of the room, the boys slid their hands free of John and Sarah’s grasp and cautiously moved closer to the hospital bed. 

“Don’t worry, boys,” Jackson said, sensing their uncertainty. “I’m going to be just fine.”

As though his words had eased their worries, they quickened their steps and climbed onto the bed. Jackson clung desperately in their embrace as Jem hugged him from one side and Jace hugged him on the other. He closed his teary eyes, reveling in the feel of his nephews so warm and alive. Thank you, God, Jackson feverishly thought. Thank you for keeping them safe.   
 
“Thank goodness you’re okay,” Jackson choked out, trying to hold back tears. “I was so worried.”

When the boys pulled from their embrace, Jem said, “Don’t cry, Uncle Jacks.” He patted Jackson on the shoulder. “The bad man didn’t hurt us. Officers Terry and Sam saved us.”

Jackson looked at Jem and smiled. “Well, I guess I owe them a big thank you.” Then, his gaze drifted toward the door where the two physicians stood. “And I also owe a big thanks to Doctors John and Sarah Chamberlain for taking such good care of you,” he said, nodding at the couple. “How can I ever repay you for your generosity?”

John waved it off like it was nothing and Sarah said, “It was our pleasure. We’ve enjoyed having them. And so have our pets, Pongo and Mr. Jiggles. They’ve come quite attached to the boys.”

“Pongo is their puppy,” Jem said excitedly, “and Mr. Jiggles is their kitty.”

Jackson arched a brow. “Is that so?”

Jem bobbed his head. “And they have big fishes in their back yard, too.”

“They do?”

“Uh-huh,” Jem replied, his eyes wide on his small face. “And we got to help feed them.”

Jackson shifted his focus on Jace, realizing he hadn’t said a word, which was unusual. “Hey, kiddo.” He lightly ruffled his hair. “You’re being awfully quiet. What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?”

Jace simply shrugged.

“He’s not talking right now,” Jem pointed out.

“And why not?”

“Because of Mommy,” Jem replied, his smile fading. “She’s in heaven with Jesus.”

Jackson wearily nodded. “I know, kiddo. I’m so sorry.” He swallowed back tears and took hold of each of the boy’s hands. “I promise,” he gently squeezed, “no matter what happens, we’ll get through this.” Then, he focused on Jace. “And whenever you feel like talking, little buddy, I’ll be ready to listen.”

With tears welling in his eyes, Jace nodded an understanding.

“Uncle Jacks,” Jem began, his tone pleading, “I’m too scared to go back home. Can we stay at Doctors John and Sarah’s house?”

“Well, I—” Jackson muttered, glancing desperately in John and Sarah’s direction.

“Of course, you can,” Sarah interjected, moving closer to Jackson’s bedside. “And you too,” she added, addressing Jackson. “We have more than enough room for all three of you.”

Jace’s eyes brightened at the idea, and his brother said, “Their house is as big as a castle.”

“I don’t know,” Jackson said, debating his decision, wondering if the boys were safer at the Breedline Covenant. “I’d hate to impose. I mean, you’ve already done so much as it is.”

“You wouldn’t be imposing,” John spoke out as he moved next to his wife and put an arm around her waist. “We’d love to have you as our guests.”

Jackson’s lips parted as though he was about to say something, but John quickly cut in. “Besides, you’re still going to need time to recuperate. And what better place but at your own physician’s.”

“Are you absolutely sure?” Jackson asked, his eyes anxiously wavering between John and Sarah.

“Doctor’s orders,” John replied. “And it’s not only for your recovery but for you and the boys’ safety as well.” 
   
Jackson’s shoulders sagged a bit as if all the air escaped him at once. “Okay,” he finally agreed, realizing the boys’ real father, who was responsible for their mother’s death, wouldn’t be looking for them at the Chamberlain’s. “I really appreciate your hospitality.”

Sarah placed her hand over Jackson’s. “It’s our pleasure, Mr. Gray.”

“Please, call me Jackson.”

Sarah nodded, and John said, “We’ve already picked up a few of the boy’s things from your place, and if it’s okay with you, we’ll arrange to have some of your things brought over as well.”

“Of course,” Jackson said. “And thank you both. You two have been an absolute godsend.”

“It’s no problem,” John said. “Oh, by the way,” he went on to say, “Officers Terry O’Brien and Sam Dixon asked to see you. They’re waiting in the lobby. If you’re up to it, they’d like to ask you a few questions about the night of your attack. They seem anxious to catch the person responsible.”

Jackson nodded. “Tell them I’d be happy to answer any of their questions.”

“Great. I’ll let them know as soon as we leave.”

Everyone flinched at the sound of a knock coming from outside the room. When John went to see who was at the door, a nurse peeked her head inside and addressed him, “Doctor Chamberlain,” she began quietly, “I’m sorry to interrupt, but we need you down in ER. A young child was just brought in with severe dehydration.”

John turned back to Sarah with a serious expression stamped on his face.

“Go on ahead, John,” Sarah called out. “I’ll look after the boys.”

Without further hesitation, John stepped out of the room and hurried after the nurse toward the ER.

“I don’t know how in the world the two of you cope,” Jackson commented.

Sarah averted her eyes from the door and faced Jackson. “What do you mean?”

“Being a pilot is stressful enough, but you and your husband’s profession has got to be overwhelming at times,” Jackson said. “Especially when it has something to do with kids. I mean,” he paused and shook his head, “how do you cope with all the bad situations you face?”

“Well, it’s not always easy,” Sarah said, releasing a sigh. “But we truly believe this is what God intended for us to do. And we love helping others, especially children. I’m not sure if you know, but John and I also temporarily foster children. And we’ve decided to adopt soon.”

“No, I wasn’t aware. But that’s exciting news. I’m sure you two will be wonderful parents, but how will you find the time for kiddos with your busy schedules?”

“We manage by adjusting our schedules like any other working set of parents. I’ve also decided to go part-time. Plus, John’s mother is retired and has offered to help us out. She’s been great with our foster children and has been looking forward to having grandchildren.” Sarah focused her eyes on Jem and Jace. “And she absolutely adores your nephews.”

“Nana baked us homemade chocolate chip cookies,” Jem said, chiming into the conversation. “And they were this big,” he added, using his hands to express the size of the cookies.

“He’s referring to John’s mother, Mary,” Sarah mentioned. “She likes to be called Nana.”

“Oh, I see.” Jackson nodded an understanding. “Well, that sounds very nice of her.” He smiled at Jem. “I’m looking forward to meeting Nana.”

Sarah stood back, smiling and listening as Jem kept up a constant stream of chatter over the toy guns and holster sets the two police officers had given him and his brother. Then, he mentioned John and Sarah’s pets more than once, telling his uncle all about Pongo, Mr. Jiggles, and all the colorful fish in their koi pond, adding all the names he picked out for each fish. While Jackson listened to his nephew’s every word, Sarah thought how wonderful it would be to have the boys and their uncle stay with her and John on a permanent basis. It wasn’t like they didn’t have the room. All those empty bedrooms seemed like nothing more than just a waste of space. Although Jackson agreeing to move in was probably wishful thinking, maybe he would at least agree to let the boys visit on occasion. Besides, he was a pilot, and surely he’d need someone to care for the boys while he was out of town.
 
When Jem finished, ending with the excitement of how the two officers showed him and his brother how to turn on the police sirens, Sarah said, “You boys think you’ll be okay to stay here with your uncle while I go fetch Sam and Terry?”

The boys nodded, and Jackson said, “Don’t worry. They’ll be fine until you get back.”
 
Sarah smiled. “Okay. I’ll be right back.”

To be continued. . .



 




Thanks for taking the time to read my chapter. I am rewriting my first book, and I would appreciate your feedback. You can read previous chapters in my profile. I hope you enjoy!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.