Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted August 6, 2022 Chapters:  ...27 28 -29- 30... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Dedication for Jay.

A chapter in the book "The Gift of Life 2003"

Driven

by Ricky1024




Background
Follows with another Incredible Journey Entitled,
"Death the Final Frontier"
"Driven"
Written on August 6th, 2022
By Doctor Ricky 1024
Copyright © Fanstory
'All Rights Reserved'

Damn it John this kid is fighting still to live!
Stated Doctor Williams.
"Silent tis the night when God works His many miracles."
Unknown Poet.
...
Note: According to the National Kidney Foundation.
Deciding and the decisions about 'Organ and Tissue Donations.'
Usually comes after a sudden and unexpected death, an emotionally traumatized time.
Yes, trying to comprehend.
...
"The Organ-Tissue Procurement Process"
Yes, at the time can be very difficult due to the overwhelming emotions that occur.
And this can lead to confusion or even suspicion.
Which may be why some families decline to donate the organs, and tissues of their Loved ones.
...
Yes, John God works His many miracles aimlessly.
And, also if God can do this we can do it too!
...
Note: The 18-year-old is now diagnosed "Brain-Dead"
And, the only thing sustaining his precious organs are machines.
...
Note: The National Kidney Foundation wants to help educate the public about the process.
In order to alleviate the myths and misconceptions surrounding organ and tissue donation.
Thereby increasing donation to help the more than 55,000 people waiting for life-giving Organ transplants.
And, the 400,000 more that benefit each year from tissue and cornea donations.
...
This fact sheet following is designed to outline the process that usually occurs.
(Though each experience may be somewhat difficult depending on the circumstances)
So, we encourage families to discuss the issue of 'Organ-Tissue Donations'
Yes, and make their wishes known.
...
The team is ready to go Doctor and the family has checked off the appropriate organs to be donated.
States Nurse White.
It is April 1st, 2003 around 2:30 a.m.
And, a team of surgeons trained specifically in Organ-Tissue removal
Yes, are working hard at removing this young man's many precious organs. Time is precious as there are three men and a little girl awaiting the process and praying for a second chance at New Life.
...
John Masterson, Frank Williams, and his team of professionals are successfully removing the Liver now for there is a young man in Philadelphia waiting this organ.
...
Note: The Procurement Process is a complex series of events that involve medical professionals at all levels and varied settings.
Federal and State legislation has been enacted to help ensure that the process is carried out in a fair and efficient way. Leading to an equitable distribution of donated organs.
...
Note: This legislation recommended the establishment of a National computer registry.
Called the National Organ Procurement and Transportation Network.
(OPTN)
Yes, for the purpose of matching donor organs to waiting recipients.
The OPTN is managed by the organization known as the
United Network for Organ-Sharing.
(UNOS)
UNOS is located in Richmond, Virginia.
UNOS cooperates with regional organ procurement organizations throughout the country.
In order to place Organ's Locally, Regionally, and Nationally.
...
It's now almost daybreak.
The sun is rising and there will be life fortunately for four people!
Besides the young man in Philadelphia receiving a human liver.
Yes, there's an older gentleman receiving the Heart and Lungs of Jason!
And, meanwhile the right Kidney was flown out West to a man named Bill.
Bill who was very desperately and happy to receive it.
But the left Human Kidney, however stayed locally in South Jersey.
Yes, as a little girl?
Yes, who was on her deathbed.
Yes, was awaiting this Gift of Life!
...
Note: The Procurement Process and how it works.
Number One: The hospital identifies a potential donor.
And, this may be done by an attending or consulting position donor coordinator, house supervisor, emergency room or intensive care unit Nurse.
...
Note: An individual who is Brain-Dead but is on a respirator.
And, has a beating heart is an acceptable donor for Heart, Liver, Pancreas, Eyes, Corneas, Kidneys, Intestines, Heart Valve, Skin, Bone, and Lungs.
...
Note: An individual who has died due to a cardiac arrest and has no cardiac or respiratory activity.
Yes, also is an acceptable donor for Eyes, Corneas, Blood vessels, Cartilage, Skin, Bone, Paracadium, and Soft-Tissues.
Other criteria for potential organ and tissue donors.
Yes, include certain age limit and the absence of unresolved systems, infections, or extra cerebral malignancies.
...
Number Two: The hospital contacts the local Organ Procurement Organization (OPO)
To access the potential doctor status and confirm his or her suitability.
...
Number Three: A physician declares brain death.
Note: This must be done in accordance with state laws preferably by a neurosurgeon or neurologist.
...
Number Four:: A medical evaluation of the potential donor is conducted by representative.
Representative of the Organ Procurement Organization.
Yes, or an in-house donor coordinator. This includes a complete history and physical examination of the potential donor.
...
Number Five: The potential donors next of kin are asked to sign a donor consent form.
Most states have passed required request laws.
Yes, which make it mandatory for the hospital to offer the family.
The option of donating their deceased Loved ones organs and tissues.
Some states have what is called "Required Referral Laws"
Which require the hospital to notify the OPO of all deaths and it appropriates and coordinates the collaboration with the OPO.
In order to advise the family of their right to donate.
...
Number Six: The donor is being and maintained medically by a representative of the Organ Procurement Organization, the in-house coordinator, or the nurse in the unit.
Yes, after Brain-Death has been declared.
...
Number Seven: The donor coordinator arranges the arrival and departure times of the surgical transplant teams.
And, schedules the operating room time.
The surgical team consists of surgeons and operating room clinician or organ tissue preservationist.
...
Number Eight: When the surgical team arrives, the donor is taken to surgery.
And, a complete operating room staff should be available for multiple organ retrieval.
A special surgical team is usually required for removal of Heart, Liver, Lungs, and Pancreas.
Kidneys may be removed either by local surgeons or by a special team.
...
Number Nine: The disposition of the body takes place according to the guidelines of the hospital.
Note: There is no change in the body's appearance after Organ and Tissue Donations.
And, open casket funerals are still possible.
...
Number Ten: The organs are matched to potential recipients.
Tissue typing takes about 6 hours.
Note: This testing is done for all Kidney transplants and is recommended for pancreas transplants.
And, may be required for other types of transplants.
(UNOS) Has developed a point system for selecting recipients.
(As objectively as possible)
And, in addition to the tissue type and blood group.
Note: Other criteria includes...
The percent of reactive antibody, waiting time on the list, medical emergency, and in the case of Liver
and heart transplants.
Distance from the transplant center.
...
Number Eleven: Once the recipients have been identified, they are called in for their preoperative workups.
...
Number Twelve: The donor coordinator/preservationst sends the Organ and or tissues to the institution. Yes, where preservation or the transplant will take place.
...
Number Thirteen: The selected individuals are taken for their individual surgery and the transplants are performed.
...
Number Fourteen: An organization takes care of follow-ups
This may include letters to the donor family, staff position, and nurses regarding the transplant Organs.
And, or tissues
Note: While this procurement process is well organizing and efficient.
It cannot be fully successful as long as the shortage of donated organs and tissues persist.
And, through its Organ and Tissue Donor program.
The National Kidney foundation is striving to reverse these shortages.
Yes, through special programs and annual public information campaigns.
Such as National Organ and Tissue Donor Awareness Week.
The US Transplant Games.
The National Donor Family Transaction Council.
These programs are making the critical differences.
Providing education, new programs.
For critical care.
...
To learn more about, 'Organ-Tissue Donation?'
Simply contact my dear friend.
Lara S. Moretti the L.S.W. with
"The Gift of Life"
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at
1-800-DONORS-1.
Thank You,
Richard Edward Smrkovsky




Special thanks goes out first, as always, to Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ.
Fanstory and Tom the Administrator.
Fan Art Review, this Talented Artist, 'meofun'
Their Incredible Picture Entitled,
"The Courage"
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by meifun at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Ricky1024 All rights reserved.
Ricky1024 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.