Fantasy Fiction posted August 14, 2022 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The task completed, the stone is on its way

A chapter in the book The Chronicals Of Bethica: The Rise

The Chronicles of Bethica

by amahra




Background
The emerald stone is on its way to Prince Norr. However, an awakened dragon is determined to kill its intruders and reclaim the stone before it reaches the Qu'Venar kingdom.
ATTENTION READERS! In (part 2) of chapter 18, Prince Norr finally agreed to send Lord Abram aid against the Nordoxz, but only if Dinary and his soldiers bring back their precious stone from the Haunted Wastelands.

At the end of (part 3) of chapter 18, Dinary cuts the huge emerald gem from the forehead of the stone dragon, triggering it to come alive. The Gunji was the first to bolt, leaving Dinary and his comrades behind in his dust. The dragon, however, is in motion to reclaim the stone as they run for their lives to the nearest exit of this deadly cave.



Chapter 18 (part 4)
The Eye of the Dragon


Rounding a corner, Dinary glanced back at the monstrous creature.  It was no longer a solid mass of mineral matter as it growled and struggled to break free. His mind flashed to the Qu'Venar Magi's meticulous instructions on the location of the emerald stone. Yet, just why the Magi had failed to disclose the immediate consequences of its removal Dinary could not fathom. But he planned to harshly address that oversight with the Magi once he returned If he returned, the thought chilled him.

As his frightened comrades stood trembling quietly behind him, Dinary peeped around the corner and caught sight of the flesh and armored-covered dragon when it ripped itself from the wall.

"The bloody thing is free," he said, "let's move!"

Its massive body was the size of a small ship--its wings, tiny, useless--more decorative than anything. Upon its head sat a crown of two horns.  Its tail was long and whip-like with a spike at the end.  The dragon roared towards them spitting fire, but its huge body striking the sides of the cave wall generated large chunks of ceiling to crash down upon its head and back--slightly injuring it and slowing its advance.  Moreover--the roar and heavy footfalls of the dragon made large boulders that fell farther away block a major pathway.

While running for their lives, Dinary and the Gunji who had accidentally separated from the rest found the closest exit from the cave also blocked by falling rocks. However, they soon caught up with the others, and all ran off together towards a farther exit that was around another corner and a good sprint up ahead. They could see the exit getting closer and tasted their freedom as their feet ate up the distance, but a chunk of ceiling fell right in front of the exit blocking their way.

"Great stars! There's got to be a way out!" the Gunji yelled.

"This way, I think," Rhico said, running ahead.

They rounded another corner and saw a stream of sunlight spilling upon the dirt floor. They tore ahead and then skidded to a dusty halt when the giant shadow of the dragon fell between them and their freedom. Panting heavily, they watched as the dragon's snout rounded the corner, then all scurried into a sharp turn and ran in the opposite direction with the dragon roaring and limping along behind them. If they could stay clear of its fire, they would make it out safely, Dinary thought.

"Rhico," Dinary yelled as they ran, "are you sure you know where you're going!"

"I can sense the dead in the sand!" The Gunji bellowed, speeding ahead. "We're going the right way."

As they rushed to the mouth of the cave, the dragon blew fire that singed their hair and clothes.

But Dinary noticed the flames were weak. Perhaps, he thought, being turned into stone for generations has taken a toll on the dragon's fiery weapon. However, everyone bolted straight ahead, around a corner, and safely outside the cave except Dinary who stood listening to the distant thundering footsteps of the unseen dragon. He untied the strings of his pouch that held the stone and tossed it to Celio who caught it and frowned.

"What are you doing?" Celio asked, clutching the pouch.

"Take the stone back to the royal family."

"And you?" Celio asked, nervously looking about as the sound of the thundering footsteps grew closer.

"If we all leave, the dragon will follow and we're on foot," Dinary said. "I'm going to keep it here as long as I can. Give you all a chance to, at least, get some distance away."

"Oh no, you don't," Celio bellowed. "We're not leaving you here alone. Not with that thing."

"He's right, General," a soldier said. "We'll stay and fight it together."

"No! It's too risky," Dinary said. "We could all die. This curse is unpredictable. And Prince Norr must get that stone."

"He's right," Melitah said. "Without the stone, the Prince won't budge to help us against the Nordoxz."

"The blackhearted vermin," Celio blurted. "His bloody price is too high for a measly three thousand soldiers.

"I should stay, Dinary," the Gunji insisted. "My magic may not destroy the creature, but it can keep it here a whole lot longer than your mere swords."

"Well, there's some bravery in you yet," Ndornah teased.

"Yes, that makes sense," Rhico said. "Let the Gunji stay. His magic is no match for this place, but he did come through for us every time."

"Exactly," Dinary said, "which is why the Gunji must go with you. His magic is best needed to help fight your way out of this blastic waste-hole. Otherwise, the dark forces will overtake you. And to you, Gunji," Dinary said, looking under his lashes. "No sword in these hands is a mere weapon, my friend."

Seeing that nothing would deter Dinary, Celio told him, while trying to mask his emotions, "Then I pray the gods be your strength. But, I still insist you not stay alone."

Dinary understood Celio's solemn stare, but as his general, he knew he had to be stern or Celio would never leave. Then suddenly, before he could speak, they all wobbled as the thundering feet of the dragon grew so close, that the cavern floor shook. "You need to leave. You're in charge now. Tell my father..."

"Tell him yourself when you return," Celio stubbornly interrupted--not willing to believe that was the end of someone he loved like a brother.

Dinary read the pain in his eyes. "Go!" he yelled over the storming footsteps. The giant shadow flashed against the wall and the creature roared when its nose caught their scent. The dragon's massive head came into sight; its ship of a body came next with an injured clawed foot dragging the ground and a tail so long, that it had yet to round the corner though the full body of the beast was in view.

"We will call on the goddess!" Melitah shouted over the roar. "I and Ndornah will wait for you outside the Wastelands!"

With that, the soldiers sped off.

Thundering towards Dinary--the trembling ground rocking him to and fro, the armored clawed appendages smashed to a halt and stood several feet in front of him.

"What a brave fool you are," the dragon jeered, after seeing the soldiers run off. "Too bad nothing will be left for them to come back for."

Dinary didn't speak. He drew both his swords and stood in a fighting stance.

The dragon jeered. "Alone...really? I'm impressed."

Dinary stood with feet wide apart. He slowly moved from side to side, balancing his rocking on the balls of his feet. His swords glittered as his eyes flashed back and forth--sizing up the creature.

"I will roast and eat parts of you as you scream," the dragon bragged.

"Then close that big ugly hole in your face and let us begin."

The dragon's eyes narrowed into slits. Its lips rolled back--exposing large yellow fangs. It crept towards Dinary. When it got within striking distance, the dragon reared its head and sucked in its breath as if to inhale all of the air in the cave. The massive intake generated every fuel chamber of its gargantuan body. When Dinary saw the dragon's head snap forward, he leaped behind a giant boulder and waited for the flames. But, instead, a huge cloud of black smoke emerged from its mouth, with tiny sparks like fireflies scattering about. Dinary raised his head. The dragon appeared shocked--if human, one could even say, embarrassed.

Dinary flashed a half smile and eased from behind the boulder; as he extended his swords, his necklace glowed like a tiny star. The sun streaming into the cave lit up the steel blades and momentarily blinded the dragon as the two circled each other--their eyes fixed like cold iron. A blast of smoke and sparks hit Dinary, filling his lungs and setting parts of his clothing ablaze. He choked and coughed while beating out the flames. He realized even without much fuel, the beast was still dangerous. He grimaced and staggered back as the heated breastplate stuck to his clothing. Ignoring the pain, Dinary knew he had only a few minutes before the dragon blasted him again.

He lunged and pierced the dragon with the marksmanship of an archer's bow spitting an arrow; the steel blade slid between one of its scales and blood gushed from its face. The creature let out a roar that shook the cave causing huge pieces of rock to rain from the ceiling. The dragon stormed to the side in a rage, snatched the sword from its face with its clawed foot and hurled it against the cave wall.

Dinary stepped back, held his remaining sword with both hands, and stared the dragon down. That creature was just as massive as the Drake he had fought in Timbakni Land. But he was fighting this one alone. Dinary felt a cold chill inch up his back when the dragon's black ovals slowly grew into vertical slits. The beast moved in--its massive jaws and dagger-size fangs snapped at Dinary's head. But Dinary's swift cat-like movements left the dragon's mouth full of stale air. Unknowingly, he backed into the dragon's tail that had curled and slipped behind him; it batted Dinary hard against the stone wall--nearly rendering him unconscious.

Dinary, dazed, scrambled to his feet and stood patiently calculating. He spread his feet apart and bent his knees slightly. He held his sword and again rocked from side to side--confusing the beast into not knowing from which direction he would pounce. The huge eyes darting back and forth, kept to the rhythm of Dinary's body, which made the beast appear hypnotized.

Fed up with the game, the dragon shot its head forward like the lightning strike of a cobra. Dinary dodged to his right--quickly spotting the creature's exposed neck. He drove his sword between the scales. The blood poured like a massive wave of water falling from the sky. But the beast was not deterred. Its tail swept Dinary off his feet and drove him hard across the stone floor.

Dazed and gasping for air, Dinary proved too weak to move out of the way of the giant clawed foot that came crashing down on his leg. He screamed in agony time and time again as the dragon laughed and tortured him--applying constant pressure.

"Just get it over with!" Dinary choked out.

Oh, I intend to," the dragon said, lowering his head so low, Dinary could swear he tasted its foul breath. "I haven't eaten in over a hundred years." The dragon opened its mouth.

"Wait!" Dinary yelled. He gritted his teeth from the pain. "At least give me the courtesy of praying to my god."

The dragon squinted. Then its cobra eyes rounded as it tilted its head and exhaled a deep but faint growl. The beast dragged its foot off Dinary's leg and stepped back. "Make it quick!"

Dinary pulled himself to his good knee. The lower half of his garment dripped with his blood. He bowed low and whispered gibberish; he knew, like house cats, dragons liked to toy with their victims. For no dragon would spare its meal a moment of prayer. Still bowed and his eyes half opened, he saw the horned head ease towards him and felt the hot breath part his hair.

Dinary leaped to one foot and drove his sword through the roof of its mouth. As the divine necklace glowed on his chest, the blade tripled in length--reaching the center of its brain. The giant creature roared and thundered to the cave floor; the gush of its last breath caused a small dustbowl to rise from the ground.

The thudding sound of its fall had brought much of the cavern roof down upon the creature, striking Dinary as well. As the dust settled upon Dinary like a gray cloud, he crawled, dragging his injured leg, out of the cave. Hours later, two of his men, who had doubled back, found him, a hundred feet outside the cavern. He was still and lying in a pool of blood.

"He's alive!" one shouted. "Bless the gods."



The end of chapter 18




Image: by Dantegrafice from Pixabay

Main Characters

Lord Gangus Abram Leader of his clan
Lady Brehira (Bree here rah) His wife
Dinary (Deh nah ry) Youngest Son
Celio (Seal le o) Soldier and close friend
Princess Netrekka (Neh trek kah) Dinary's Lover/wife
Olatunji (O Lah Tune Gee) Cushite Soldier
Gangus's Staff Command Tierphenjinochun (Teer fen gin o tion)

Minor Characters
Khimah (Kee ma) Eldest Son
Captain Dulcy P Dordrecht (Door check) Captain of the Cristofur
Judian (Jew-dee-in) Second in Command of the Christofur
Kofius (Ko fee us) The Sail Master
The Drake (like it's spelled) The menacing dragon
The Gunji (Gun-gee) A magical humanoid

The gods
Raziel (Ray-zeal) God of gods
Dahlia (Doll-lee'ah) Goddess of Domaria--a kingdom ruled by women
Gailzur (Gale-zore) God of War
Nelchael (Nell-key-ol) God of the Underworld
Zakzakiel (Zak zah keel) God of Peace


The Races
Volarians (Vo lar rians) (Humans) 'Gangus's tribe'
Timbakni (Tim-bach-knee) (Humanoid) K9 race, Devoted to Gangus and his tribe
Engamars (In ga mars) (Humanoids) aka, Red Beards 'Hate Aenwyns and Qu'Venars'
Aenwyns (An winds) (Humanoids) 'Adore Qu'Venars, hate Engamars'
Qu'Venars (Q' Vin nahs) (Humanoids) 'Adore Aenwyns can't tolerate the stubborn Engamars'
Nordoxz (Nor-docks) (Humanoid) 'Skin multi-colored like a serpent, Enemy to all, including the gods, except one'
Faerie (Far ree) (Another world) Origin of the Aenwyns'
Domarians (Doe mah rians) ( Humans) A kingdom ruled by women'
Nekani (Neh cah knee) (Humanoids) Felion Race'







 



Book of the Month contest entry


When Lord Gangus Abram is awakened by a mysterious voice in the night and told to seek out the Oracle Naman, he must make a journey across the Endless Ocean to destroy the Nordoxz, an undefeated race of humanoids that are controlled by powerful forces of evil.

Lord Abrams plunges into a perilous trek to obey the gods and settle in Bethica, a land of dragons, cannibals, Fallen Angels, Amazonians, and Dark Lords. He is joined by his wife, Brehira, youngest son Dinary, comrade and friend, Celio, Shapeshifter and Beast Master, Olutunji, and 750 people willing to risk their lives for land and freedom.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.