Romance Fiction posted July 31, 2022 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Alexandra meets Amy.

A chapter in the book Quiet Lawyer

Quiet Lawyer Chapter 16 B

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Nothing mends a broken heart, like someone wonderful giving you theirs. Will Cordero give his heart to Alexandra? If he does, will she accept it? Will Alexandra discover who she is?
Cordero and Alexandra met 32 days ago.

ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

With cheeseburgers, fries, and drinks in hand, Cordero and Alexandra returned to the pick-up.

Before Cordero turned the ignition key, he said, "I need to clarify something." When Alexandra faced him, he continued, "I don't understand why, but you changed things about yourself to be more like what your ex wanted. I'm hoping that's not why you asked if I wanted you to be more like me. I like the way you are." He thought a moment. "You didn't learn to ride for me, did you?"

She exhaled. "Around you I'm comfortable being me. Thank you for that. As for learning to ride, I wanted to."

"I'm glad." Cordero backed up. "Ready to meet Amy?"


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 16 B

Alexandra and Cordero sat in the pick-up and stared at the rundown house, barely more than a shanty which bore the address given to Alexandra.

Cordero opened his door. "I guess this is it. I'll go first to make sure."

"It wouldn't look right.  We'll go together."

*****
When Amy answered the door, Alexandra introduced herself.

Cordero hugged Amy. "It's good to see you again. It's been a while."

Amy studied her feet. "I'm sorry you have to see me like this. Since Grandma died, things have been rough."

"Don't worry about it. Ali has some ideas that could make things better."

A nine-year-old boy came in from outside. Amy introduced him. "This is my son, Matthew. Matt, this is Ms. Black and Mr. Ortiz."

Cordero raised his hand holding a sack. "We brought lunch. I hope you like cheeseburgers and fries."

Matt grinned. "They're my favorite."

Alexandra smiled at Cordero and mouthed. "Good choice."

They sat on patched folding chairs and ate off a worn, wobbly, card table. During lunch, Amy asked Cordero about former high school classmates.

Alexandra halfheartedly listened as she made note of the living conditions. No one should live like this. One large room. On the floor, two dirty twin mattresses. One broken easy chair. Five windows, two are broken and covered with cardboard. No air-conditioning or a fan. I wonder if it has heat. Clothes stacked in neat piles. Is there a bathroom or running water? No stove, just a hot plate. A small refrigerator, does it work? No human should live like this. Something needs to be done.

Closing her eyes, Alexandra took a deep breath. Please God, give me the knowledge to help her.

When lunch was finished, Cordero stood. "Matt, the ladies need to talk. Why don't we go outside and shoot some hoops? I saw a basketball by the front door."

He faced his mom. "Can I?"

"Yes." She pointed. "There's a small park across the street. Don't go any farther. It's not..."

"I understand," interrupted Cordero.

Alexandra exhaled and watched Cordero leave. Thank you for being your wonderful self.

Amy smiled. "I take it you and Cord are a couple."

"To be honest, I'm not sure what we are. It appears to be heading in that direction. Unfortunately, I live in New York City. I'm not sure how a long-distance relationship would work."

"If it's meant to be, it'll work. He's one of the good guys."

"That he is." Alexandra hesitated. "I accidently heard about your situation." She briefly explained how Pat Rogers used it to cause problems between Cord and herself.

After Alexandra opened her briefcase, she continued, "That caused me to do some research. I discovered you were awarded seventy-five dollars a month child support nine years ago. At that time Pat Rogers was in college. Now he owns the Lobo bank. You have the right to go back to court and request at least ten percent of his current earnings. I haven't asked for his financial report. Before I do, I need to know if you're willing to move forward.

She opened a file. "I researched and found out the typical small bank owner makes an average of $134,000 a year. Ten percent of that is $13,400 a year or $1,117 a month. Would that help?"

Amy dried an escaped tear. "It would be a huge help. I work as a waitress and make $7.50 an hour plus tips. I rarely get more than twenty-five hours a week. In this neighborhood the tips are only a few dollars on a good day."

"That's hardly enough for groceries."

"I know." Amy stared into space. "Pat has never paid one cent in child support."

"He hasn't?" Alexandra hesitated. "I'll file for back support for the past nine years." She quickly did the math in her head. "That's about eight thousand dollars." Her eyes met Amy's. "Pat claims he's not Matt's father. He says Cord is."

Amy covered Alexandra's hand with hers. "There's no way Cord is Matt's dad."

"Did you have plans after graduation?"

"I'd been accepted to the state college in Lobo. I wanted to be an elementary teacher. I had the same dreams as any teenage girl. I wanted to get married, have children, and the white picket fence." Amy surveyed her home. "Now look at me."

"I understand because you were pregnant your parents disowned you. You moved in with your grandma and she died about a year ago."

"That's right. I tried to explain what happened, but my parents wouldn't believe me. Pat came across as a goody two-shoes."

"May I ask what happened?"

She nodded. "We were at an after-prom party. Pat drank."

"Did you?"

"No. Dad was very strict and would've killed me." Amy got up and walked around the small room before she returned to her chair. "I didn't want to and told him no, but he kept saying if I loved him, I'd have sex with him. I still refused. He hit me." She hung her head. "I got scared and gave in."

"He coerced you into having sex."

Amy continued through tears. "He hurt me. I cried from the pain. I yelled for him to stop. He kept going. I had bite marks and bruises. When I told him I was pregnant, he denied we ever dated."

"Did you show your parents the bite marks and bruises?"

Amy nodded. "I tried. Dad refused to look. Mom did and took photos, but she wouldn't overrule dad. I still have some scars from his bites."

"Could I see them?" After viewing three, Alexandra closed her eyes and drew deep breaths. You can do this. She exhaled. "Just so you know he raped you. I'm representing four ladies who he also raped. He's a serial rapist. I'm sure there are other women we don't know about. When I'm finished with him, the entire town will know. Maybe more victims will come forward."

Stay focused. Alexandra pointed to her paperwork. "To continue, I'll need you to sign and date these papers." She swallowed. "I'll keep in touch and let you know how things are progressing." She stood and hugged Amy.

"Thank you."

Alexandra faced the door, closed her eyes, sighed, turned to Amy, and hugged her again. "Things will get better. I promise." She walked outside.

Cordero came from across the street. "We ready?" He jogged to the door, said goodbye to Amy, and returned to the pick-up. After studying Alexandra, he asked, "You okay?"

"I'm going to lose it. Please just drive."

He opened her door and helped her inside. After he drove away, her tears began. Cordero reached over and took her hand. "Ali, what's wrong?"

Her tears turned to sobbing.

Cordero found a city park, stopped, ran over, and opened her door. When she calmed a little, he helped her out. They sat on top of a cement picnic table.

After a few moments of silence, Cordero asked, "What happened?"

"Amy was brutally raped." Alexandra got up and walked around. "She showed me scars where he bit her."

After she leaned against his chest and continued to cry, he said, "What can I do?"

She shook her head. "Nothing." Her voice got louder. "He destroyed her life. She was accepted to the state college in town. She wanted to be a teacher. Her dad refused to believe what happened. Amy told that jerk she was pregnant, and he denied they'd even dated. Now, she's basically homeless and with no future. Your horses live better than she does."

"The child support you're going to get her will help her have a future."

She turned into his chest. As he put his arms around her, she cried.

He removed his bandana and offered it to her.

After silent moments passed, she dried her tears and glanced at her watch. "Do you know where there's a library?"

Cordero's eyes widened. "A library?" After she nodded, he said, "I can find one. Are you sure?"

"Yes. I have an idea."


~~~~~
Serial rape refers to a series of two or more rapes. Sometimes a definition of serial rape includes a "cooling-off period," which occurs between the rapes. Serial rapists are often seeking control or domination over their victims.
~~~~~

~~~~~
Spanish accents have been removed so I don't get weird characters in my posts.

Mi hijo & Mijo are Spanish for son. Jorge will use them often.

Bendecido is Spanish for blessed.
~~~~~

CHARACTER LIST:

Cordero Ortiz: 'Cord' runs his parents Texas ranch

Alexandra Black: 'Ali' is a New York City corporate lawyer, is a junior partner in huge family law firm

Jorge and Rosa Ortiz: Cordero's parents who own a large West Texas Ranch

Jim: One of the ranch foremen's and good friend of Cordero. He takes care of the main house and surrounding ranch area.

Bob: One of the ranch foremen and good friend of Cordero. He works the entire ranch.

Pat Rogers: Bank owner, not a good person

Sam Bailey: Lobo's Sheriff.

Dr. Bart Barnes: Town doctor

Judge Sean Pickett: County Judge

Tonia and Brent Black: Alexandra's parents

Gary Hart: A young ranch hand

Luke: All around bad guy

Amy Harding:  A lady who Pat Rogers raped during High School Prom, her son, Matthew



Recognized


Thank you google an image of a shanty. While I posted, I edited some more. Every time I read, I found something to change, I doubt I can ever get my writing perfect. I hope this post doesn't have too many errors. Thank you for the review and encouragement.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.