Children Fiction posted July 25, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Children help to feed the animals... (518 words)

Animal Antics at the Zoo

by LisaMay


Feeding time at the zoo was always a busy occasion. This particular zoo had many different and unusual animals to cater to, so during school holidays several children were invited to help the zookeepers feed them. Amanda, Zane, and their friends prepared alphabet soup and other delicious treats, then they carried the food in buckets and went around all the animals and filled their supper dishes.

They were amused by the animals' agile antics. Amanda watched the aardvarks and was amazed to see them eating ants so adroitly. Then she helped Barry and Belle with the boisterous bouncing baby bunnies. They were so beautiful. Three were black, and the other three were brown. The cute cuddly cats did crazy contortions when they caught the catnip that Cathy gave them, and the duo of Dalmation dogs drooled when Diane put dribbling dollops of delicious food in their deep dishes.

The eccentric electric eels entwined energetically in an elegant way, while a frenzy of feeding fish frolicked as they flipped and flashed in front of Freddy. George glanced at the gigantic gorillas; they seemed rather grumpy, but they grabbed grapes greedily and gurgled and giggled while they were gobbling them. Nearby, hairy horses hungrily ate the hay that Harriet happily handed to them. Impish impalas were impatiently inspecting what Imogen invited them to eat.

Jenny fed a jaunty jiggling jellyfish that was jostling joyfully in a jar while Ken and Kimberley attended to a kookaburra, a koala, the kickboxing kangaroo, and a kiwi. Lavinia liked looking at the lazy little lizards as they lounged by their luxurious pool before they all leapt in. The meadowlarks' musical medley was magnificently melodious, but the messy macaws caused mayhem for Max. Nineteen neurotic nightingales needed nutrition now and turned nasty for Natalie and Nigel who were only trying to be nice. Olga was ogled by one ostentatious and obnoxious ostrich, then it pecked her. Plenty of playful Pekingese puppies plundered plates of pancakes and pizzas. They piddled on Patsy's purple and pink patterned pants.

Quinn saw a queue of quaint quokkas quietly on a quest before they quickly hid. Rosemary recognized the ravenous renegade raccoons rapidly racing around in the rain. Several slippery seals came sliding by for their salty seafood supper. They were served by Samuel who smiled at their silliness as they smacked their lips with satisfaction. A tumultuous trio of Tibetan terriers tumbled together, chasing their tails. Terry's task was to throw them tasty and tender tidbits which they tore to bits.

Ursula saw an undemanding Ural owl in the undergrowth, undaunted by being in the vicinity of the vindictive venomous variegated vipers. Victor and Wally walked around the wily wandering wayward wildebeests rather warily. They asked Xavier to feed the extremely lively X-ray tetra in the fishtank. Over yonder, Yolanda saw youthful yaks yawning sleepily. She yelled when the zany zebras came zooming by.

Zane was glad they were the last animals to be fed. There was no more alphabet soup left and it was time to go home to bed. They left all the animals snoozing.... zzzzzz.



An Alphabet Tale contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Cindy Sue Truman at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. LisaMay All rights reserved.
LisaMay has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.